Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bug Fixing strategy/policy  (Read 1215 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bug Fixing strategy/policy
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »

Can anyone whos been around a while to have an idea suggest how Toady "picks bugs" to fix ?

Does he work down the bug tracker list from top to bottom?

Does he fix whatevers on his mind when hes in bug fixing mode ?

Has he ever/does he prioritise the things people ask in his future of the fortress replies that he feels "should" be fixed ?

Has each version attempted to fix all officially logged bugs ?

I beleive the uniform bug (soldiers equipment clashing with miner/lumberjack/hunter equipment) has been around for a while. How likely is it that the next version will fix this ? ie with so many features seemingly to be added with the next release will there be any bug fixing for existing stuff ?

Exscuse the barrage of questions. Im just sat playing wondering about the new version and I wondered what to expect on the bug fixing front.

Cheers

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Re: bug Fixing strategy/policy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:26:31 pm »

There's a bug reporting website that he seems to pay a reasonable amount of attention to. I believe he also pays attention to bug reports via email, but I might be wrong.

In any case, the typical pattern is that major releases fix the leftover bugs of the previous major release, with each major release being followed by a bug fixing period.

Bugs that are easier to reproduce tend to get fixed faster, but it's safe to say that most or all reports are eventually addressed. I can remember one devlog where he mentioned trying and failing to reproduce an old report. Of course, bugs that crash the game during relatively common circumstances generally receive top priority.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »

I don't think an official policy on bug fixing exists.  It's pretty much whatever Toady considers to be most important or relevant so far as I can tell.  He definitely doesn't try to fix every known bug before new releases, as some of them have been around since the 2D versions.  I believe the main reasoning for that is that they're usually small bugs and a lot of them would go away in a rewrite of those features when he improves them.  An example of that would be the uniform bug actually.  I'm almost certain it's not a bug so much as lacking of features: the game stores an internal uniform for those professions and uses that instead of a military uniform.  The dwarf just can't have but one uniform right now, so he would have to add features to accommodate having those professions alongside a military uniform.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:39:41 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I wanted to say "is the uniform bug actually a bug". I Wanted to call it the uniform issue. I got the impression that perhaps some issues hung around "unfixed" pending a feature rewrite as you said.

Its interesting to hear what other people say. Ive only been playing on and off for 3 years or so so ive not seen enough "big" new versions to have much of an idea as to the answers to my questions so thanks for indulging me.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:49:14 am »

After Toady released the last big DF update, he had a new bug-fixing cycle, followed by an old bug-fixing cycle, followed by stuff from the ESV list, followed by sporadic feature and misc releases.

The highest priority are game-breaking bugs like crashes, but after that I'm not sure. Game saves are a big plus with intricate bugs. Easily fixable bugs might be a higher on the priority list, however there are so many of them that not all of them will get fixed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:46:27 am »

In any case, the typical pattern is that major releases fix the leftover bugs of the previous major release, with each major release being followed by a bug fixing period.

No, most of the bugs get fixed in minor releases.  Major releases typically focus on new features and only include bug-fixes related to those features.  The upcoming release will follow this pattern -- here's a speculative list of bugs that may get fixed.

Game saves are a big plus with intricate bugs.

Yeah, saves are important.  Generally, cost/benefit is a major determinant of what gets fixed, where benefit = how bad a bug it is, and cost = how hard to fix.  Providing a save and/or binary patch can lower the cost for many bugs.  Other bugs are structural problems that are inherently difficult to fix.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:57:12 am by Footkerchief »