Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF killed my wife and now my wife's trying to reanimate our marriage.  (Read 5933 times)

shoeless

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Father of Three
    • View Profile

I was so naive, stumbling through that first fort several months back.  I made countless rookie mistakes; the top mistake was naming my dwarfs after my wife and kids.  It was only summer of the first year.  My fond of ale fisherdwarf named for my wife was out netting some scrumptious pike from the river running outside our fortress.  The alligator... it's menacing teeth ... latching on to her ... overtaking her ... too much ... too strong ... blood everywhere... in the river... on the shore...  her slain corpse tattered on the sand...

Why didn't I understand this prophesy earlier?  This game devoured my wife.

There was a time when I helped out with raising my children, cooked dinners, cleaned up, and vacuumed.  I even walked the dog on occasion.  Time wasters.  I now do those things quickly and without pleasure only to gain some goodwill tokens from my beautiful wife so I can play DF unhindered by scowls and interruptions.

Unfortunately, my wife decided this Friday would be a good night to get a babysitter for the kids and spend a night on the town, drinking and carousing with friends.  Does that mean no DF?  But it's the weekend...

Help me make it through the night.  I'm already OCD-ing on the horrific path-finding dumped on my circuits by the horrible layout of our city's downtown.  Thankfully, there is enough booze stockpiles layered about, but the untrapped and unmoated outer layers of the downtown have me already looking over every shoulder.

Please, give me advice on how I can real world DF to attain my fix and appease Almok.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:49:19 pm by shoeless »
A weregecko ate my father.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF killed my wife and now my wife's trying to reanimate our marriage.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

Shoeless looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:35 pm »

Now when you say "real world DF" I think you should grab a pickaxe and tunnel a fortress under your house, going down about 10z or so before you hit the first cavern. Assign your wife to farming and get her working on your first crop of plump helmets or if your going above ground first, get her working on wild strawberries. Cage your children so goblins won't steal them and butcher the dog for tallow biscuits.

....Ok I took this pun way too seriously, lol.

If your friends are pc gamers, get them into playing DF. After going on length about how gobbos killed your first wardog and you responded by carving the dog into bolts which you then used to kill said goblins. And about dwarven atomsmashing some trash. And about having fey moods which result in insanity when you can't find any shells. And yadda yadda yadda...
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »

And always remember; it is the yadda yadda yadda's of DF which make life interesting.

If the wife wants to go downtown, you go too. But subtly,oh so subtly, indoctrinate her into the world of DF. Find a way to multiplayer adventure mode, then bring her downtown in the leading capital, showing her the king as you do so. Then gently prompt her. Say "Now, dear. Which did you prefer? Going RL downtown, or going DF downtown?" And if she says RL Downtown, introduce her to Dwarven ale. That'll hook her.

Good luck in your endeavour to bring the word of DF into the world, brother. May you succeed!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »

Jesus christ.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:45:29 pm »

My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.

Now we're in the exact opposite situation! I spend every waking minute thinking about/wanting to play DF (which, since I am in class, is a bad thing).
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:33 pm »

drinking and carousing with friends

You have to admit it's pretty dwarven.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:27 pm »

Dwarf Fortress in relationships is like hidden fun stuff... Mine it too much and here come the demons.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »

I think the subject line takes out the award for best click-bait that I've seen on these forums.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:21 am »

Dwarf Fortress in relationships is like hidden fun stuff... Mine it too much and here come the demons.

This is one of the best quotes I've seen in the forums! so true ...  :)

shoeless

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Father of Three
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:54 am »

Absolutely true.  If I can figure out how to sig this bad boy, I'm doing it.  I'd also like to explain to my wife why this is hilarious, but she'd likely just tilt her head, ask if this is about the 'stupid dwarf game', call me a nerd, and walk away.

Edit:  Sigged.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:04:09 am by shoeless »
A weregecko ate my father.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 02:41:24 pm »

Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 11:46:36 am »

Now we're in the exact opposite situation! I spend every waking minute thinking about/wanting to play DF (which, since I am in class, is a bad thing).

The horror.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 12:46:50 pm »

Keep an eye on the real life architecture to get inspiration for fortress design!
Also, beware of an Ambush by the Humans.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 04:25:40 pm »

Keep an eye on the real life architecture to get inspiration for fortress design!
Also, beware of an Ambush by the Humans.

Or, if you had an especially good time carousing and getting drunk, watch out for ambush by the elves. The knife-wielding elves.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: [1] 2