Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assisting with coding  (Read 760 times)

zodegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Assisting with coding
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:50:43 am »

I dunno if this subject has been posted before, but I was wondering if it's possible to help out with coding.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assisting with coding
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:27 am »

This subject has been brought up a lot over the past 8 years, and the answer is generally no.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:03:05 am »

Toady had somebody help him with coding at least once, but he found himself into not being able to update that specific part of the code (graphics system) after the original author stopped contributing. Long story short Toady is not letting anybody help out with the code anymore.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:07 am »

Toady had somebody help him with coding at least once, but he found himself into not being able to update that specific part of the code (graphics system) after the original author stopped contributing. Long story short Toady is not letting anybody help out with the code anymore.

I don't know if that's strictly true.  Has Toady turned down other offers of help on graphics code?  The repo is still available for pull requests, forks, etc. 

zodegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »

Alright, thanks for the answears   :)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:40 am »

There might have been some discomfort with the loss of control, but you have to admit that the graphics upgrade was extremely cool, and added a great deal to the player's experience. There's nothing like utilizing your whole screen for DF!
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar