Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 49960 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »

Ugh, honestly, I hate thinking of games in terms of stats and numbers and min/maxing and all that. If it's not possible to make progress in the game by just *playing* it, doing what I want, facing challenges in the best way I'm able, etc., then I won't have fun. So far, I'm able to do that just fine. I don't ever want to have to think "okay, I need to level an agility skill 3 more times, then level this major skill by killing rats," etc. That absolutely kills a game for me. It stops being a game and starts being math homework. I end up giving up on most RPGs because of this. I want to play a character and enjoy a story. Sure, if I play a fighter who wants to pick pockets, I'm going to face some challenges, and some things might not be possible. But the moment someone says "THE WAY TO WIN IS TO PICK THESE SKILLS THEN KILL RATS UNTIL YOU LEVEL THEN STEAL THESE 3 ITEMS FROM THIS PLACE AND THEN POOF, YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO WIN," it's like being told the twist ending to a really good story. Now I know the quickest way to the finish line, and I lose all motivation to even bother crossing it.

So maybe I should ask this: if I just play, the way I have been, poke around, explore like crazy, and actually "role play" a character rather than worrying about the numbers on my character sheet, will I be able to succeed in this game? I don't even really care that much about finishing the main storyline. Will I get many hours of enjoyment out of the game, or will I eventually hit a wall and ragequit because everything is killing me?

And by the way, I did the acting troupe quest already. That was fun. I enjoyed the little scene he wrote, actually. : D

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 04:14:10 pm »

There are like a biglion mod out there.
I recommend you start with small mods that dont change the game in  major way I.E. regionally known criminals (it ties your crimes to set areas) or some other mod of that kind, not  alien vs perpetrator  or hunt Osama Bin Laden
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:16:46 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »

Ugh, honestly, I hate thinking of games in terms of stats and numbers and min/maxing and all that. If it's not possible to make progress in the game by just *playing* it, doing what I want, facing challenges in the best way I'm able, etc., then I won't have fun. So far, I'm able to do that just fine. I don't ever want to have to think "okay, I need to level an agility skill 3 more times, then level this major skill by killing rats," etc. That absolutely kills a game for me. It stops being a game and starts being math homework. I end up giving up on most RPGs because of this. I want to play a character and enjoy a story. Sure, if I play a fighter who wants to pick pockets, I'm going to face some challenges, and some things might not be possible. But the moment someone says "THE WAY TO WIN IS TO PICK THESE SKILLS THEN KILL RATS UNTIL YOU LEVEL THEN STEAL THESE 3 ITEMS FROM THIS PLACE AND THEN POOF, YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO WIN," it's like being told the twist ending to a really good story. Now I know the quickest way to the finish line, and I lose all motivation to even bother crossing it.

So maybe I should ask this: if I just play, the way I have been, poke around, explore like crazy, and actually "role play" a character rather than worrying about the numbers on my character sheet, will I be able to succeed in this game? I don't even really care that much about finishing the main storyline. Will I get many hours of enjoyment out of the game, or will I eventually hit a wall and ragequit because everything is killing me?

And by the way, I did the acting troupe quest already. That was fun. I enjoyed the little scene he wrote, actually. : D
Most enemies aren't leveled to you so it doesn't really matter. You might want to think about leveling a bit if your stat increases keep having low multipliers but honestly most of the stuff in Morrowind seems to be non combat quests anyway. At least the parts I played :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »

So maybe I should ask this: if I just play, the way I have been, poke around, explore like crazy, and actually "role play" a character rather than worrying about the numbers on my character sheet, will I be able to succeed in this game?
You'll probably get by alright, but the game might get rather hard in parts. Like I said, if you want to not worry about that stuff, try the rebalancing mods. It does away with choosing attributes as you level and instead slowly increments your attributes whenever you gain skills. It feels a lot more organic and mostly does away with min-maxing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »

Sappho, you can play however you want, but you'll just need to train those skills you selected for your major and minors to level.  Leveling will determine what randomly spawns (there are a ton of static spawns situated throughout certain quests and such), and what kind of gear those drop.  I wouldn't say it's the end of the world if you want to play differently, it'll just take some more time to become powerful.

That said, you can always start a new game and make your major/minor skills something you'd really like to use.  Morrowind characters for me were a dime a dozen. :P

It does away with choosing attributes as you level and instead slowly increments your attributes whenever you gain skills. It feels a lot more organic and mostly does away with min-maxing.

I hadn't heard of this mod; I need to replay Morrowind again.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »

I'm playing the Game of the Year Edition on Steam - how do I get these mods and install them, exactly? There doesn't seem to be a Steam workshop page for it.

Thanks for all the tips! To be honest, I'm really not worried about becoming powerful, as long as there's more places to see and explore without getting instantly killed. It sounds like I'll be able to go for quite a while without worrying about getting stronger.

EDIT: By the way, I haven't come across any bugs yet, and visually the game looks pretty good to me so far. Not sure if it's just my love of older games, or if the version I'm playing is already updated in some way. It does seem to include 2 expansions.

Like I said, if you want to not worry about that stuff, try the rebalancing mods. It does away with choosing attributes as you level and instead slowly increments your attributes whenever you gain skills. It feels a lot more organic and mostly does away with min-maxing.

Where do I find such rebalancing mods? I tried Google but just got a mess of forum threads asking for Morrowind mods...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:36:23 pm by Sappho »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »

I'm playing the Game of the Year Edition on Steam - how do I get these mods and install them, exactly? There doesn't seem to be a Steam workshop page for it.

Thanks for all the tips! To be honest, I'm really not worried about becoming powerful, as long as there's more places to see and explore without getting instantly killed. It sounds like I'll be able to go for quite a while without worrying about getting stronger.

EDIT: By the way, I haven't come across any bugs yet, and visually the game looks pretty good to me so far. Not sure if it's just my love of older games, or if the version I'm playing is already updated in some way. It does seem to include 2 expansions.
You have to perform manual editing of game files, downloaded from places such as the Morrowind Nexus.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:37 pm »

Mods can be found here, and can either be installed using their installer (which also works for Oblivion, Skyrim, Dark Souls, at least one of the Witchers...), or you can download the mod and install it manually.  They'll usually have readmes for manual installations, so that's more up to you at that point.

Morrowind was really stable for back in the day, there's only one glaring glitch that I know of, and actually finding it by chance is pretty low.

I got ninja'd dangit, but yeah, what Remuthra said.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 04:39:57 pm »

Ah fond memories of this one. I must've been what...13 years old when I first started adventuring my athletic argonian. Wore hardly anything at all, attacked just about everything at random while running around with ludicrous speed. Just running around being an uncatchable dick as everything chased me in vain, good times.  :)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »

The mods are available here: I am linking you straight to one of the greatest mods of all: Antares big mod which adds depth and roleplay rather than graphics and power. Specifically the mod allows you to act as a real member of a Morrowind organization up to Patriarch or archmage. It lets you hire scouts to lead you places, agents to give you info or help you out with bounties, thieves to steal and assassins to assassinate.

Antares integrates all this fairly smoothly, even fitting it with the lore (thus good luck getting Ashlander scouts to guide you to an ashlander tomb, or hiring assassins against a member of the Camonna Tong or any great house: only the Morag tong will handle that, and even then its a bit tricky). Instead of "Patriarch" being just a pretty title with no reduction in ordinator sneering, you get the ability to anathema people from the temple, to order ordinators around etc etc. It is an amazing bit of work.

I also love the passive cliff races mod (makes them peaceful unless diseased or blighted), the multiple mark mod (allows you to mark and recall to up to 10 locations rather than one, opens a chat menu to choose when you cast either spell), and the necromancy mod (forget which one) which drops the permanent summons scrolls in tombs all across the land, so you have to find them like a real grave robber. If you want to play a werewolf the mod which regionalizes and temporalizes wereful recognition to small areas is vital: otherwise one exposure and the whole world is hostile. The "you are being mugged" mod is perfect for playing bandits since it let's you rob people without killing them.

Basically mods in Morrowind are awesome. The community is insane and makes projects of staggering ambition (Tamriel rebuilt which sought and still seeks to build, as it says on the tin, the rest of the Tamriel continent around Morrowind)

As far as leveling. In Morrowind it is rather easy to become powerful fast. Brokenly easy actually. I don't know what class you picked, but there is almost certainly a way to level endlessly in it: magic you can make a cantrip costing one mana and practice casting it before resting gaining levels quickly, or you can jump around everywhere with acrobatics. I like the feeling of mid-level epicness, no longer easy meat, but not a walking reincarnation of the god of war that you become later in the game. At this point I know the game well enough that assembling the (incomplete~ damn that pauldron) Daedric armor with daedric crescent and some insane rings is dull. I like my character's stylishly dressed in light netch leather armor (chitin for ashland trips) and/ or expensive clothing I've enchanted, which lets me breathe water, fly and teleport to a safe location if I am threatened.

What I like to do to facilitate these play styles is pace my leveling process. Otherwise, I get too powerful, have to up the difficulty and end up in bloodmoon, which has a bad habit of ending my characters as I stubbornly try not to get bored with the obligations of werewolfdom, and inevitably do.

To control my leveling: I pick armor skills and magic skills for all my major and minor skills: they are slow to level, but you can grind them if you need to and they come with spells. I pick one weapon skill just for early survival, but rarely use that weapon in practice. I almost always take speechcraft and acrobatics (hard to level, slow to level, important). The result is say: Acrobatics, Speechcraft, Mysticism, Sneak, Illusion for major Marksman, alteration, light armor, medium armor, heavy armor for minor.

I pick minor and major skills not on the basis of which I want to be more powerful (cheaper to train low skills), but which I want to be high now: thus I want acrobatics to maneuver now, sneak to succeed now, mysticism to make me a billion dollars in trapped souls, speechcraft to succeed now etc
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:26:49 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »

I can't find the workshop page either.

On difficulty, the game does level a lot of enemies, but my experience was more that certain regions were more dangerous for new characters than others. I tended to stick around the Bitter Coast and Ascadian Isles in the early game, because kwana, mudcrabs and the occasional nix-hound were less dangerous than alits and shalk. Not to mention the cliff racers, who deserve a healthy respect even at fairly high levels.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

I have no idea how to get mods to work on the steam.
most of the mods are on planet elder scrolls

Great House Fliggerty Downloads
 morrowind nexus (doesnt whant to link)
TELESPHOROS' LIST o'MODS 
Gluby's Guide
to a Modded Morrowind

Fuck Yeah Morrowind Mods

and there are still more sites i haven linked to.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:46:58 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »

A word of advice from a professional thief: do not steal unless it reflects your style of gameplay. This is true in pretty much all TES games but it bears mentioning: stealing things and save/load can completely upend game balance. You can have Grand Soul Gems right out of the gate, magic weapons, things to sell for cash....iirc there's some AI to handle selling stuff back to its owner, but other than that....yeah. If you want to experience "true" progression, don't steal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »

A lot of gamespy downloads are dead.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »

As long as this is here, I think I'll go ahead and start up a new character. What mods should I use, and what character traits?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25