Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 50364 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »

A lot of gamespy downloads are dead.

Most of them are probably, since GS and all the affiliated Planet networks closed....two years ago?

Nexus is probably where I would look for mods.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:02 pm »

A word of advice from a professional thief: do not steal unless it reflects your style of gameplay. This is true in pretty much all TES games but it bears mentioning: stealing things and save/load can completely upend game balance. You can have Grand Soul Gems right out of the gate, magic weapons, things to sell for cash....iirc there's some AI to handle selling stuff back to its owner, but other than that....yeah. If you want to experience "true" progression, don't steal.
Heeheee... I still fondly remember looting the first town straight to the ground as my first "quest" for a playthrough. Absolutely everything that could be stolen, was. Think I finally walked out with like 13k gold or something silly like that. It was pretty great :P

And yeah, echoing some auto-leveling mod or another. There's a couple out there, hunt 'em up on nexus, etc. Would probably recommend one that adds passive magika regeneration as well. Both make the game a lot more fluid, imo. That's without getting into all the fancy stuff, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »

Thanks for all the links. I think for now I'm going to stick with vanilla for a while. Once I get to a point where I find myself saying "I wish there was..." I'll start looking for mods. For now, I'm pretty happy with most everything, so I'll carry on until that changes.

The only thing that's been really bugging me is the difficulty of finding specific people for quests, specifically in Vivec. Someone says 'find this person in (district name' and I wander around that district searching, but never finding. I can ask the people standing right next to that person about them and all they say  is "(person) is a (job) in (district name)." Really? Really, you're standing in that district, next to that person, and you can't just say "oh yeah, that's him/her over there"??? I don't suppose there's a mod that helps with that? So far I've just been googling character names when I get too frustrated, there's always a walkthrough somewhere or other with the information...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »

Hey, directions are hell in Morrowind, especially since a lot of quests have wrong directions (north east instead of south west, stuff like that).

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »

Part of it is that Vivec has a weird layout. Remember there's a lower works, a waistworks, and an upper dome area. Split up your search and cover each thoroughly before moving on, and it will help.

Much tougher are the quests that say something like "this dungeon is north of X" and you can find X on your map, but which canyon does it mean you're supposed to walk up?

I actually prefer it to quest waypoints though. Makes you feel like you're actually searching for stuff.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »

Part of it is that Vivec has a weird layout. Remember there's a lower works, a waistworks, and an upper dome area. Split up your search and cover each thoroughly before moving on, and it will help.

Much tougher are the quests that say something like "this dungeon is north of X" and you can find X on your map, but which canyon does it mean you're supposed to walk up?

I actually prefer it to quest waypoints though. Makes you feel like you're actually searching for stuff.

Quest waypoints are fun and all, but it takes some of the depth out of the game.  Although, to be sure, Morrowind's directions are iffy, and finding that one damned person living in a box under the stairs of a house half a block down the street from Jerry's paint shop takes forever.

I think it gets better eventually.  If not, there's still enough content to wade through if you get lost.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »

I think that's part of the coolness: most of the time you don't need to do whatever you're doing. If you get stuck, do something else, because there's like 10 other quests you have in your journal.

Also it gets easier because you learn the areas better. Like Vivec, which I still dislike.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »

(And ninja'd... ah well, you can tell there's a real love of Morrowind here. XD)

Alas, the Morrowind AI is... not that advanced :P

Luckily, I think most quest-related people don't move around too much, so once you know where they are they tend to stay there. There isn't much in the way of NPC schedules at all really. I don't think Caius Cosades ever leaves his home, for example. Vivec can certainly be overwhelming at first though. Something to keep in mind is the districts usually have 3 layers: The Plaza, the Waistworks and the Underworks. The Foreign Quarter actually is split with an Upper and Lower Waistworks too.

Mod wise, I never used too many besides the unofficial patches, and GCD (stands for Galsiah's Character Development). It causes Attributes to increase naturally as skills do, which nicely removes the need for that silly multiplier nonsense.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »

Caius Cosades never leaves his home because (A) he would be instantly mobbed by womenfolk desperate for his manflesh, and (B) too much skooma makes you crazy in the brain-pan.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 06:02:53 pm »

Snap. I've very recently started playing this too. I'm really enjoying it so far.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

Thanks for all the links. I think for now I'm going to stick with vanilla for a while. Once I get to a point where I find myself saying "I wish there was..." I'll start looking for mods.
That's generally a good way to go about it. However, I still highly recommend that you get the community patch. Unless you especially like running into broken quests. Or having the Ordinator guards in Vivec attack you once for wearing their armor, but not stopping after you take it off.

...The city, it was littered the dead guards. I made little tombstones for them, with their helmets stood on top of their torches. Was more than a little annoying when someone you need to talk to in the main quest gets angry if you're killing guards...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 06:31:28 pm »

At a minimum, you'll want the Morrowind Code Patch and Morrowind Patched to fix a number of outstanding bugs. Morrowind Overhaul Sound and Graphics (MOSG) includes these patches along with other patches and optimizers, plus an installer to automate the process, so that's a better thing to have even if you're not interested in the graphical updates (the installer lets you turn most of those off).

If you want natural leveling like Skyrim, then you should use GCDLean. The download comes with two versions, but the newer one tends to lock up MOSG'd games. The downside is it also includes Oblivion/Skyrim style magicka regen. This can be turned off through the console in the new version, but requires esp editing in the old one (and doesn't include instructions on which part to modify).

If anyone's looking for new content, Tamriel Rebuilt released their latest main version about five months ago (2013AUG15), which includes land and content for the eastern peninsula stretching from Mournhold to Telvannis. They also put out an alpha about a week ago (2014JAN07) which extends the land considerably (but doesn't include new content).

Finally, for anyone feeling experimental, OpenMW released a major version just a couple days ago (2014JAN14) which adds combat AI and spell casting.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:48 am »

i would recommend doing the main quest, it's an awesome story to follow and is way better than the main storyline of oblivion or skyrim.
also if you take the left fork of the road leading away from seyda neen (the starting town) and head into the bittercoast region an interesting event will happen and you will acquire the "scrolls of icurian flight."

the 3 greet houses you can join have awesome quest arks (my favorite is Telvani)
their are other fun factions like the imperial legion, Morog tong and East empire company (not sure if they are a propper faction but their is a cool quest ark for them)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 12:14:23 am »

Telvanni is indeed the best house. All others are small and weak. Also... if memory serves Divayth Fir was Telvanni, which should be enough to convince anyone. ANYone....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:22 am »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Game of the Year edition includes some of those big bugfixes... Is that true? Or am I thinking of something else?

Actually, I'm starting to regret starting this thread. I was having a great time, unbothered by some of the things that might have been improved in later games, or that might turn out to be less awesome than they seem at first glance. I'm having fun just wandering around, exploring and slowly learning what is what on my own. It seems everyone else has much of the game basically memorized, and now I've inadvertently learned more than I wanted to about certain characters and groups and places and quests. I've been told that the graphics should be better - I had no problem with the way they are to start, but now I have the unconscious nagging in the back of my head telling me I should try to make it better. At this point, I don't want to know which house is most powerful - part of the joy of the game is figuring that out for myself. And I definitely don't want things like "turn left at this fork and something will happen to give you special equipment." That's the sort of thing I want to be surprised by, as a result of exploring.

So as difficult as it will be, I will probably stop reading this thread already, until I've spent a lot more time exploring the game for myself. I'm sure the mods are great, but for me, mods are something you do when you run out of base game to play, and I still have a lot more base game to play before I'll even begin to want to change anything. I never mod a game right from the start, unless there's a huge game-breaking bug that needs to be fixed. I'm fine with a few things not making sense or being more difficult than they need to be. I can create my own explanations as to why. The guards have a hive mind, maybe. I'm an outlander - it's easy for me to accidentally break a rule, like wearing the guards' armor in front of them, that leads to me being chased out of the city and never accepted there again. No problem. Once I've gone through it all once or twice, then I'll look for mods to make it different, and new and interesting again.

So carry on, discuss away, and I will do my best to resist the temptation to peek. When I'm a lot further along, maybe after I've at least completed the main quest, I'll come back and read through again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25