Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 50453 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 04:04:54 am »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Game of the Year edition includes some of those big bugfixes... Is that true? Or am I thinking of something else?
The GotY edition on Steam only includes the base game, the two expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon), and the latest official patch (released over a decade ago). It does not include the Construction Kit nor any of the free DLC, and it certainly doesn't include any unofficial patches.

That first patch I linked has an installer that lets you pick exactly what's applied to the game; that way you can be certain you're only applying actual fixes and nothing that's meant to improve the game for modern computers. It's by no means necessary, but it does remove some potential future headaches and corrects a few inconsistencies in various systems.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 11:03:20 am »

Sorry about the flood of information Sappho. I at least will try to keep that stuff behind spoiler tags, but I can't speak for everyone. Morrowind is certainly the game I find needs mods the least, so there's no problem playing it vanilla either. There will be a couple broken quests, most likely, but nothing that would stop you from enjoying the main quest at least.

Right now I'm trying to get through Oblivion (I'd start a thread for it but I don't think it would be too popular :P) and then move on to Skyrim. I've already beaten Morrowind once. But eventually I want to go through all 5 games, including Arena and Daggerfall which I've never finished, as an Atronach type character. (Pure mage, doesn't regenerate magicka on their own). I've always used magic as a support thing but never as a primary way to deal damage, and I think it would be a nice way to switch things up. I think it might be TOO hard for Arena and Daggerfall though. We'll see.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

For what it's worth, there is no strongest house or anything. They're all completely different, I just happen to like Telvanni best. No gameplay information was given other than there is a house Telvanni and I like it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »

I think it's worth playing each of them. You can finagle it so you can work your way up in more than one guild, for example, but you will probably enjoy picking one guild and one house per playthrough.

Of course as a completionist I just do every quest somebody throws at me.

Also, feel free not to focus on the main quest. There is SO MUCH STUFF in sidequests and just wandering around.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »

There are only a couple instances where you have to choose one quest over another -- and those you can generally play through the majority of a guild / house's story and only choose one over the other once you are near the top of each.

What I said about blades being the best skill -- while true it isnt exclusive.  On one play through I found an awesome unique Axe that I though was cool, and wished I had trained that skill.  I think I used it untrained for a while just because it was neat looking.

So you really can play any way you want.  I just remember being frustrated when I started playing one way, and later discovered that it could be MORE OPTIMAL if I had done it another way.  But I tend to restart dwarf fortresses for similar reasons, I is a little crazy.

Same with the leveling, I was having fun until I found out that I could have done it better.  Then I made another character.  And another.  And another.

As far as mods, I never modded beyond stock features.  never added custom quests or races or "rebalancers" or player houses or anything else.  I kept the game stock, but just added the things that made it look pretty.

For example, there was one that lets you actually read the words on road signs.  Others that sharpen up the textures on items, without actually changing the look of them.  I think one put lights in windows at night time.  One that added more variety in book covers.  Things like this.  Low impact changes that tune up the color and flavor of the game, but dont actually change gameplay.

Frankly, I dont trust TES fanboys to author content ;)  most of it is in bad taste, or just god-modding.  And if not, then it is *moar harder gritty realism yarrr* and that doesn't add value for me either.  This probably causes me to miss out on some cool stuff, but thats an acceptable loss for me.

edit - just remembered, because I was a compulsive character restarter, one of the mods I used let you skip the intro and go straight to the custom character screen.  haha.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:13:00 pm by puke »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »

Spoiler: PS (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:01 pm »

I agree with your leveling guide LeoLeo3, that rings true with what I remember.

I disagree on the armor though.  I remember medium armor being basically lame (I think they even added Adamantium DLC to beef it up a little, make it more useful)  but Light and Unarmored still has some place.

You can move LOTS faster, and even strike faster with the lower encumbrance.  You are not as strong in a stand up fight, but if you tailor a character build to focus on those areas it isnt a total waste.  Speed can be huge, depending on how you play.

Another reason to train Unarmed, is if you are a race that cant wear helms and/or shoes.  It uses the armor skill for whatever random mixed piece of armor you have on a location, and if that location has nothing then you need the unarmored skill.

The other nice thing (i think, from what i remember, maybe),  is that Armor reduces damage while unarmed will dodge or cause the enemy to miss.

The biggest downside for me, is that heavier armor has more enchantment ability.  You can put larger spells on Daedric items than you can on Glass.  On the other hand, if you load up all the extravagant clothing you can, you can still load up more permanently enchanted spells than you might ever need.

So yeah, armor and weapons, probably pick one and specialize.  Just dont get Medium.  Or Staffs.  What the hell is up with Staffs in any of the TES games?  Why would you ever?  They don't even have good enchantment multipliers. 

If you want to try something else, then do it with a different character build and start a different quest line.

I played through fully intending to use different specialized characters, and as such did not feel pressured to do all the quests with any given character.  I just noted where quest were, so when I came through later with a new character they would have new things to do.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:09 pm »

Spoiler: PS (click to show/hide)
And this is why one of the first things I did when I reinstalled Morrowind was add a character advancement mod (I think I used Galsiah's).  I couldn't stand the cognitive dissonance of picking the absolute opposite of your preferred character design at game start.

Also, I second the above user on armor - Light or Heavy, but avoid Medium unless you have the expansion packs.  Even with Adamantium, Medium combines the worst attributes of both Light and Heavy.  It wasn't until Tribunal and Bloodmoon that they gave player proper Medium Armor that scaled to either Light or Heavy's levels. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:29:44 pm by Culise »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 02:37:45 pm »

Medium Armour looks best though.

And it combines the weight of Heavy Armour with the protectiveness of Light Armour Unarmoured! How can you pick any other armour skill!?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:57 pm »

Just remembered something else that I didn't like about the books:  they were totally random and slipshod.  They put out some requests for articles for Daggerfall, or maybe Morrowind, basically fan-sourcing content creation for all the books.

And some of the stuff is really hit-and-miss.  Some of the fans or freelancers were obviously asked to flesh out some part of the setting and background, but didnt actually know about it so they just made stuff up.

One of them was on the creation of Ebony Armor, I think the book about it boosted your armor working skill or something.  But the guy who wrote the piece described it as if it was real life Ebony: like the tree.  He described planing out the wood and steaming it into shape and such.

But in the game, it is a semi-magical ore.  Whoops!  I guess Bethesda didn't proof read, or maybe just didn't care.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 03:08:53 pm »

I just assume those writers are the morrowind-equivalents of Ancient Greek philosophers.

They think they know stuff but actually everything they say is absolute nonsense :P

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

Game is so good, it even simulates unreliable sources!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 03:41:18 pm »

Vivec has one of the worst designs of any town in any game ever. Such. A. Pain. In. The. Ass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:46:07 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 03:43:09 pm »

Vivec has one of the worst designs of any town in any game ever. Such. A. Pain. In. The. Ass.
Yup. Especially if you go straight to Vivec somehow and don't realize that the yellow squares on the world map have absolutely nothing to do with the Cantons....

I got lost there for ages Dx

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

Alright, my willpower isn't strong enough. Read through everything, whenever I saw something that looked like it might be spoilery, I skipped over it.

I haven't found Vivec to be a pain at all actually. I suppose it's annoying to have to walk so far to get from place to place, but I certainly haven't gotten lost.

I have discovered something that annoys me, though, at last. I killed some crabs by Seyda Neen when I first started. I just went back there and discovered that the dead crabs were right where I left them. So... Corpses stay where they are forever? They don't rot away, or get eaten, or anything? Every single thing I kill will remain where it falls forever? And does that mean there's no randomly-generated critters anywhere? Each enemy/NPC is coded from the start, and once I kill them, they will never be replaced? The crabs will quickly face genocide, and crab meat will become a priceless delicacy?

Is there a mod that fixes that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25