Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 50774 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 04:28:53 pm »

Randomly generated stuff respawns and you can dispose of the corpse yourselves, although you will also auto-loot everything on it.
I do not know if corpses auto despawn.

Non-randomly generated critters die for ever, so you can actually claim caves!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:46 pm »

Alright, my willpower isn't strong enough. Read through everything, whenever I saw something that looked like it might be spoilery, I skipped over it.

I haven't found Vivec to be a pain at all actually. I suppose it's annoying to have to walk so far to get from place to place, but I certainly haven't gotten lost.

I have discovered something that annoys me, though, at last. I killed some crabs by Seyda Neen when I first started. I just went back there and discovered that the dead crabs were right where I left them. So... Corpses stay where they are forever? They don't rot away, or get eaten, or anything? Every single thing I kill will remain where it falls forever? And does that mean there's no randomly-generated critters anywhere? Each enemy/NPC is coded from the start, and once I kill them, they will never be replaced? The crabs will quickly face genocide, and crab meat will become a priceless delicacy?

Is there a mod that fixes that?
There's a button when looting a corpse marked "Dispose of Corpse". Hit that.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »

I highly suggest disposing of all corpses. Highly.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 05:19:45 pm »

Huh, I dont remember that.  I think unlooted monsters stay in place maybe?  if you loot them, do they vanish?

I'm pretty sure that if you drop an item outside it will eventually despawn, but you can leave things in houses forever.

Certainly there are random spawns that repopulate, especially the damnable razorbeaks.  maybe the random ones despawn?  If not you'd be walking on bird bodies at every stop.

edit:  did I say razorbeak?  I meant cliff racer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:43:43 pm by puke »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »

Huh, I dont remember that.  I think unlooted monsters stay in place maybe?  if you loot them, do they vanish?

I'm pretty sure that if you drop an item outside it will eventually despawn, but you can leave things in houses forever.

Certainly there are random spawns that repopulate, especially the damnable razorbeaks.  maybe the random ones despawn?  If not you'd be walking on bird bodies at every stop.

edit:  did I say razorbeak?  I meant cliff racer.

If i remember correctly, its takes about one game month for corpses and dropped items/chests to despawn.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »

I just assume those writers are the morrowind-equivalents of Ancient Greek philosophers.

They think they know stuff but actually everything they say is absolute nonsense :P
I also figured this. There are books that are just wrong about some stuff, and some that seemed like fiction, so yeah.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:13 pm »

Corpses should despawn in 3 days, however visiting the zone they are in resets this timer. Furthermore, some corpses are persistent and will not despawn.

I'm pretty sure dropped items never despawn, but I cannot confirm that.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:50 pm »

I have discovered something that annoys me, though, at last. I killed some crabs by Seyda Neen when I first started. I just went back there and discovered that the dead crabs were right where I left them. So... Corpses stay where they are forever? They don't rot away, or get eaten, or anything? Every single thing I kill will remain where it falls forever? And does that mean there's no randomly-generated critters anywhere? Each enemy/NPC is coded from the start, and once I kill them, they will never be replaced? The crabs will quickly face genocide, and crab meat will become a priceless delicacy?

Is there a mod that fixes that?
As many have said previously, you can hit the "dispose of corpse" option when selecting them, you get everything in the creature's inventory and the body is... disposed of. However, they do disappear on their own, as long as you stay away from the cell they are in for three game-days. The important thing is the distance - for interiors and dungeons that's not a problem, go outside and come back in four days and you're good, but the game has a hazy definition of what's close enough to load the corpse data out in the open world. So corpse disposal is your friend.
Also, there will be some bodies that are permanent, you can tell by trying to dispose of the corpse - it won't let you. I always take advantage of them as a nice place to store loot - these tend to be in convenient places.
That being said - If it has a proper name, it's not going to respawn after you've killed it and gotten rid of the body. Generic critters will though, eventually. Generic bad guys sometimes will. But some don't.
As far as a mod to speed up the process - no not really. It's controlled by a game engine process that has been the bane of Morrowind modders since the beginning. Best just to do the corpse disposal outside.
*Fake edit* ninja'd.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:47 pm »

As far as a mod to speed up the process - no not really. It's controlled by a game engine process that has been the bane of Morrowind modders since the beginning. Best just to do the corpse disposal outside.

At the least, it seems one of the tweaks you can make with the Morrowind Code Patch is to add an option so you no longer take all their loot when you hit Dispose, which is nice. Also many other things, but they're all optional beyond pure bugfixes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:50 am »

Ooh, PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

GAH... Finally gave in to pressure and ran that mod thing. Suddenly the game is so laggy it's unplayable. I guess I will have to run it again and change the options... It took over an HOUR to install all that crap, now I have to take it back off...

I never saw any "dispose of corpse" button. I'll check for it when I finally am able to play the game again.

How do you pickpocket, by the way? I saw a lot of references to it in the mod program but I didn't even know you could do that.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:09 am »

Same as in Oblivion/Skyrim. Interact with someone while crouching.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2014, 10:18:51 am »

GAH... Finally gave in to pressure and ran that mod thing. Suddenly the game is so laggy it's unplayable. I guess I will have to run it again and change the options... It took over an HOUR to install all that crap, now I have to take it back off...

I never saw any "dispose of corpse" button. I'll check for it when I finally am able to play the game again.

How do you pickpocket, by the way? I saw a lot of references to it in the mod program but I didn't even know you could do that.
Hold Ctrl to sneak. Talk to someone while sneaking to pickpocket.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2014, 10:25:40 am »

Same as in Oblivion/Skyrim. Interact with someone while crouching.

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, so I wouldn't know that. Thanks for the answer, though. I wish the game had a bit more of a tutorial - there's a lot of commands and such that I wouldn't know about if I hadn't heard about them from other places.

Okay, just re-patched the game with much lower graphics options. Fingers crossed...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:13 am »

Pickpocketing in Morrowind is a very demanding task - unless you have a high stealth skill, it will fail, leading to NPC's atacking you and the wrath of the law descending on you.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25