Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 49961 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »

*strangles people for bringing more cross-game comparison nonsense into the thread*

Take it somewhere else!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2015, 10:33:44 pm »

Hey, I spoilered it, and it's relevant because I'm trying to highlight what Morrowind did right. That is, it had an excellent sense of progression, from nobody to awesomebody.

On a side note: Did anyone ever find first two Mages guild quests a pain? Of course, it's good that they were there, since it helped bring up the immersion of you actually being a nobody who just joined the guild (you're helping out some random Journeyman with her chores. Can't get more low-level than that). All the collection quests were irritating though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:36:41 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2015, 10:39:17 pm »

Hey, I spoilered it, and it's relevant because I'm trying to highlight what Morrowind did right. That is, it had an excellent sense of progression, from nobody to awesomebody.

On a side note: Did anyone ever find first two Mages guild quests a pain? Of course, it's good that they were there, since it helped bring up the immersion of you actually being a nobody who just joined the guild (you're helping out some random Journeyman with her chores. Can't get more low-level than that). All the collection quests were irritating though.

1)  Too much progression took me out of roleplay and into fantasy [yawn] mode.  About level 25 or so.

2)  The first mages guild quest is muchrooms, all of which can be easily found or bought.
       The second was more annoying, but nothing a trip to Peligald couldnt fix on my way to get a certain skull from a crypt.  Its all XP.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:36 pm »

1). That's true enough. It did end up as somewhat of a power trip but there were still things you could do that were challenging at that level. Killing Helseth or Vivec, for instance. Or taking on the Morag Tong Grandmaster Writs.
I've never been the biggest fan of trying to properly RP in a video game, though (they're so much more limited). I prefer doing it PnP.

2). Yeah, you could get almost all of them from Seyda Neen but it was always kind of a pain remembering and finding them.
Good old Pelegiad. Did anyone else always still all the stuff from that trader's chest? The throwing stars, darts and stuff.
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2015, 11:03:34 pm »

... I always kinda' liked the balmora mage guild early quests. Good excuse to meander around a bit, fairly straight forward, generally painless. It was nice.

Later ones where you had to find a specific goddamn cave in the middle of looks-like-fifty-other-places back-end of ass-nowhereville were considerably more annoying. "Is it this cave?" *LICH TO THE FACE* "Shit, not that cave." "This one?" *AUTOMATON TO THE SPLEEN* "Bloody hell, not that one." "This one?" *DEMONS FREAKING EVERYWHERE* "Bugger this, I'm going back to the swamps."

And, of course, cliff runners the whole freaking time. Freaking lava lands or whatever they were and their goddamn caves.
Ask not!
Ask!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:42 pm »

I'd worked out a system for my early characters. I loot the entire town of Seyda Neen, including the mushrooms. I murder the fine clothier for her beautiful exquisite clothes in such a way as to either give me no bounty or a very small one. Then I would pick the flowers in her shop, go to Ajira, buy the fourth flower from her and complete two quests in as many seconds. And then usually use the fine clothier's shop as a base until I can get a stronghold or volcano palace. There's probably some selling stuff to Creeper in there too, but that's a gist of it.

And yeah, the first one from the dunmer lady is WAY harder. I remember dying a lot the first time I went through it. And fuck cliff racers. Fuck them with a barrel of red-hot daedric pikes.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 02, 2015, 11:19:20 pm »

:P they arent dangerous to fighters past level 2 or mages past level fireball.  Besides  there sre more humiliating ways to die.  Like being a lvl 1 breton male dying to a scrib.

And, without cheese, alchemy and enchanting are very rewarding.

Man, I think Ive played more Morrowind than any other game ever.  Id go mark a cave with few respawns and live there, and even do pacifist runs and unarmed runs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:21:13 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 02, 2015, 11:21:43 pm »

:P they arent dangerous to fighters past level 2 or mages past level fireball.

I know, but they make annoying noises, clump in Racer columns that can get higher then some buildings and have wonky hitboxes. They're a pain in the ass. I CHEERED when I found out in Skyrim that the guy in your cabin at the beginning exterminated them at some point between Morrowind and Oblivion.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 02, 2015, 11:36:31 pm »

... yeah, the problem with cliff racers weren't their threat, it was the bloody sound. Also the fact they were completely impossible to just outrun, iirc. That horrific hell noise that arises from trying to run from a cliff racer when you've got multiple hundred points of speed has, at times, haunted my dreams.
Ask not!
Ask!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2015, 02:17:04 am »

... yeah, the problem with cliff racers weren't their threat, it was the bloody sound. Also the fact they were completely impossible to just outrun, iirc. That horrific hell noise that arises from trying to run from a cliff racer when you've got multiple hundred points of speed has, at times, haunted my dreams.

You obviously built your character differently to mine then. I never had a problem outrunning cliffracers. Then again, I also had a nigh-unlimited supply of Windwalker scrolls. If you have multiple hundred points of speed though, you should be at the point when you can basically kill them by looking at them.

:P they arent dangerous to fighters past level 2 or mages past level fireball.  Besides  there sre more humiliating ways to die.  Like being a lvl 1 breton male dying to a scrib.

And, without cheese, alchemy and enchanting are very rewarding.

Man, I think Ive played more Morrowind than any other game ever.  Id go mark a cave with few respawns and live there, and even do pacifist runs and unarmed runs.

The one thing I could never quite do was a proper Mage build. I'd go through the entire Mages guild questline, I just wouldn't use any magic.

Scribs were dangerous to low levels though, if only because of the Paralysis. If you got swarmed, then...
Oh, that's another thing, Paralysis was sooo overpowered in Morrowind. Lovers Kiss? Sure, I'll trade some fatigue for a 60 second paralyze. Of course, I never actually took The Lover as a sign, but we all remember our Dwemer Jinksword fondly, right?

Oh, did anyone here ever abuse the 'Damage Skill for 1 Second 100 points' exploit? It let you train any skill to max for 1 gold piece each session from any trainer. I think the only time I personally used it was to max out Sneak because fuuuuck doing that the normal way.
The circle is complete.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:30 am »

What, sneak was so easy to skill. Just crouch in the middle of Seyda Neen and go have a lunch somewhere and come back with 20 skill points :P

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 03, 2015, 05:29:22 am »

Scribs were dangerous to low levels though, if only because of the Paralysis. If you got swarmed, then...
Oh, that's another thing, Paralysis was sooo overpowered in Morrowind. Lovers Kiss? Sure, I'll trade some fatigue for a 60 second paralyze. Of course, I never actually took The Lover as a sign, but we all remember our Dwemer Jinksword fondly, right?

Of course, and I also remember with a large amount of disdain one of the first missions you get arriving on Solsteim. Looking for a shipment of silver weapons that all happened to have paralyse enchantments.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:53 am »

What, sneak was so easy to skill. Just crouch in the middle of Seyda Neen and go have a lunch somewhere and come back with 20 skill points :P

But that feels the same as just turning on auto-run and swimming into a wall for three hours to train athletics. Just sort of wrong. >_>
By the way, love your avatar. It conveys the mood of that scene perfectly, and Yousuke's expression is priceless. xD

Of course, and I also remember with a large amount of disdain one of the first missions you get arriving on Solsteim. Looking for a shipment of silver weapons that all happened to have paralyse enchantments.

Hmm, it sounds familiar but I can't quite remember it. Did you get attacked by a lot of guys with paral weapons or something?

By the way everyone, what did your late game loadouts tend to look like?
For me it was probably

Armor:
Helm: Glass or Masque of Clavicus Vile.
Left and Right Pauldrons: Glass.
Cuirass: Saviors Hide or Ebony Mail.
Right Gauntlet: Wraithguard (of course.)
Left Gauntlet: Wraithguard 2 or a Fist of Randagulf.
Greaves: Glass.
Boots: Glass or Apostle
Shield: Eleidon's Ward.

Clothing/Accessories:
Tended towards Helseth's Ring of OPness and Denstagmer's ring.
Amulet was Necromancer's.
All else was variable.

Weapons:
Quite variable. If I was going full-on serious I'd probably end up using Hopesfire or Sunder, but otherwise a few favorite weapons would be Chrysamere, Ice Blade of the Monarch, that daedric dagger you get from the Morag Tong quest and the ever eminently awesome Daedric Dai-Katana.
For ranged purposes I tended to use Auriel's Bow or the overpowered as hell Dwarven Darts.

This was for a godmode game rather than an RP focused one, though.

I actually didn't like using Daedric Armor because Glass looked awesome and the Deadric Greaves didn't quite join up with the boots, and there was a seam. >_>

Also, sorry for bringing Oblivion into this momentarily, but if there's one thing I'll never, ever forgive it for, it's what it did to my beloved Glass armor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:47:09 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 03, 2015, 07:18:52 am »

Hmm, it sounds familiar but I can't quite remember it. Did you get attacked by a lot of guys with paral weapons or something?

It's one of the first missions you get at fort Frostmoth. Through a traitor in the fort, bandits have managed to acquire a shipment of weapons. I think the prelude to the mission is you going around the fort with a trusted legionnaire, questioning everyone until you find the traitor. You then head to the cave located on the eastern coast and have to clear it out while keeping the companion alive. Difficult with the rather enthusiastic A.I.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2015, 01:22:56 am »

SO NECROMANCY But anyone got any good Morrowind mod/mod compilations? I've heard of Overhaul and Rebirth, but I'd also like some Quality of Life mods if you know of any, or any "Must Have" mods. >->

Especially if it helps fix any weird exploits or progressionfuckery.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:25:25 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25