Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Muses of Joan Bentson: Today Is The Last Day Of Your Previous Life  (Read 2197 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

The Muses of Joan Bentson
Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
So What Is This?
This is an RTD about writing a novel. You play as one of the mental personae (Called muses, essentially the adult version of an imaginary friend) of a struggling, young ghostwriter desperately trying to make end's meat. This is essentially Everyone Is John crossed with the film Adaptation. Essentially, everyone is controlling the same character. Expect a roleplay-heavy experience with some creative writing. Five people should be good for now!

Character Creation
Name: What is the name of the muse? Can be absurd, simple, or mundane. It just has to be appropriate for the muse in question.
Psych Profile: Give us a description of the character, in appearance and in personality. Do state what the Muse is taking the form of: is it her visualization of an aspect of Joan, a character she came up with that stuck around for a long time, or someone she knew that had a very large emotional impact on her?
Favorite Aspect of Writing: Choose either Character (Writing characters and dialog), Plot (Writing storylines and plot twists), or Fun (Writing funny scenes and awesome events). This will increase Joan's skill with that by 1.
Favorite Genre: Choose your favorite genre of writing. Writing in this genre will get you a +1 to actions within it. These do not stack with other players.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:01:13 am by Fniff »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The Muses of Joan Bentson: Sign Ups
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:15 pm »

Unreserved.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:25:18 pm by Remuthra »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:10 am »

Name: Jordan Miller
Psych Profile: A sly, beautiful, clever enigmatic lady who manages to unwittingly get involved in global conspiracies and secret machinations. She runs from criminals and police alike, fights battles on rooftops, meets dashing foreign men and-wait what? Self-insert Mary Sue prototype? No! Of course not. What would make you think that?
Favorite Aspect of Writing: Plot
Favorite Genre: Thriller
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:13:21 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:16:50 am »

Name: Coconut of Sadness

Psych Profile: Joan's had a peculiar fascination with coconuts for the longest time, particularly how they seem to be the very idea of disappointment distilled into a single seed. No matter how many she has tried to open in her life, they seem to always be spoiled. From her early childhood this has troubled her. It has been so troubling, in fact, that she hasn't opened a single coconut for over five years. Instead, she only buys some once in a while, leaving one on her table, gazing at its peculiarly sad, hairy shape that vaguely resembles a stylized face (the three stomata always facing toward her, naturally) whenever she is in need of some inspiration, which the coconut basically never fails to provide in its own way. It's gone far enough that Joan has pretend dialogues with her coconuts on occasion, who she likes to pretend can provide valuable insight on the tragedies of existence, making her consider dilemmas and troubles she has never thought of before. She also likes to pretend to whatever friends she has that she does not converse with expired fruit ('they're actually mostly seeds,' Joan has sometimes thought of rebutting in the event that she is caught).

Favorite Aspect of Writing: Character

Favorite Genre: Biography
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:01:04 am by Harry Baldman »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:42 am »

Name:
Cheesecake
Psych Profile:
Writing is a demanding line of work. Mentally and physically. During those long hours of work and impossible deadlines, Joan's had to fill herself up with high sugar foods for that small push of energy. A particular favorite of hers is cheesecake. So much so that the thought of the dairy dessert gives her the strength and inspiration to carry on.
Favorite Aspect of Writing:
Characters
Favorite Genre:
Comedy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:37:58 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:21 am »

In. I'l make a sheet later.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:01 am »

Name: The Figure from the Field
Psych Profile: Joan once saw a figure from the window of a train walk across a field alone and with a pack. The exposure was brief but the image was forever branded in her mind. Occasionally, when the deadlines loom and the rent needs paying and the telephone's ringing, Joan thinks of throwing it all in and escaping. Instead, she just thinks of the Figure and channels that desire to escape into her narratives. The voice of the Figure is Joan's own, and it is carefree and disdainful of responsibility.
Favorite Aspect of Writing: Fun
Favorite Genre: Adventure
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:43:30 am by notquitethere »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:30 am »

Looking good everyone! One thing, Harry Baldman: another name for the Coconut of Sadness could be the Melancoconut.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17:21 am »

Name: Sean Bentson
Psych Profile: A ghostly girl with silver-blue hair and matching eyes. She also has pale skin, thin body and average height. She has a small smile sometimes, and a soft face. She mostly wears a robe that matches her eye and hair color and sometimes a cap, also matching her primary color. She is encouraging but also taunting, looking out for the best in Joan but also bringing out the worst in her.

A playful person with a dangerous mental attitude.
Favorite Genre: Adventure fiction
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:57:46 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 10:26:25 am »

Name: Dave
Psych Profile: Dave was a friend of Joan when she was young. They went different ways after school, but she still remembers him and ocasionally uses him in her novels, tipically as the best friend of the main character. His looks change dpeneding on the book, but he's usually friendly and supportive. Joan pretends to hold conversations with him whenever she doesn't know what to do.
Favorite Genre: Detective

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:16 am »

Looking good everyone! One thing, Harry Baldman: another name for the Coconut of Sadness could be the Melancoconut.

It doesn't really work, I think. The portmanteau feels a bit too forced for my liking.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »

Name: The Whacko
Psych Profile: A character from one of Joan's favorite novels, The Whacko was the nickname for the VP of the US, who often spoke his mind at bad times.
Favorite Aspect of Writing: Fun
Favorite Genre: Political
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Okay, can the remaining reserved players (TCM and Dark Artemis) get a move on so I can judge all the sheets properly, please? I'm instituting a deadline for tomorrow at noon.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 12:17:08 pm »

Got it, sorry - I've just been really busy this weekend, but I'll make it happen. Thanks!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »

Done.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: [1] 2 3