Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Limit Theory  (Read 18167 times)

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limit Theory
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:25 am »

So I just found out about this games and have been watching the most recent dev update videos and I am really impressed with the progress that this guy has made in the last year of development. Although it seems the gameplay is still very basic in execution the graphics, UI and general premise of the game are very exciting. The idea of a branching tech tree enabling pseudo random specialization is especially intriguing and combined with the procedural nature of the simulated universe it lends itself very well to a game with much replayability.
It is also interesting to see an indie game designed by a graphics programmer. Where most indie games seem to get by with bare bones UI and graphics this game looks to have a really crisp UI and very acceptable graphics from the beginning (X-Rebirth devs should take note of how to produce a clean interface that still can display complex data). Wether the actual gameplay will be compelling enough to make this into more than just a pretty space sim remains to be seen but at least the basic premise of the AI system he is building seems to be really promising. I am also excited to see a dev committed to building a purely single player game in a genre that has been neglected by mainstream devs for too long. Anyway enough rambling from me here are some links:

Dev Log -http://limittheory.blogspot.com.au/
Kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game
Forums - http://forums.ltheory.com/

Dev Update #12 (UI/AI) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcfqusFfaM
Dev Update #11 (UI) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekq56VZqQvs
Dev Update #10 (Tech Tree) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3tKT0E0t8

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Theory
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:03:38 pm »

Okay... Why doesn't this have any replies? Really...

Major project. Two years of work. One guy. Engine built from scratch.

Infinite deeply-simulated sandbox universe, dynamic gameplay, absolutely everything procedural, and highly intelligent AI that's capable of doing anything the player can. Mining, fighting, piracy, trading, building, exploration, and absolutely infinite moddability.

Spoiler: Those graphics. (click to show/hide)

That monthly dev video.

Daily devlog updates.

And I'm the second post in nine months - with the first post being the only one in two years. How?

Just while I'm at it... have more images.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:25:30 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »

The planned release date is Early 2014.

It does look pretty.  IIRC, I saw some videos of it some months ago and thought it looked cool.  However, no one is talking about it because it was supposed to be released 10 months ago and he isn't giving anyone but some KS'ers access to gameplay.  It's hard to get real excited about a game that you can't buy or play.  TBH, it'd probably help LT's visibility if he leaked some kind of prototype to the public or started a Greenlight campaign.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:53 pm »

Aye, the release date has been shifted to early 2015 - there was a bit more to it than the expected, but it's on track now. Beta is slated for late this year.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

What had me amped up was the procedurality of the game, the fact that everything was AI driven and not scripted, oh and for those who played the X series ( NO NOT THAT rebirth one.... ) We had an ingame scripting system called msci i think it was called? Basicly allowing on the fly in game script editing, sure was the best thing, but this game Well..... Its not a game.... Its a frigging compiler running the game inside himself, man i dont know how to explain....

If X3 had some ability to script on the fly inside, well this game you can modify ANYTHING you have access to nearly all the source code from INSIDE the game... i found that approach simply amazing, it will allows for so much customisation and modding.

Oh and i love space game.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:04 pm »

We love space game.

While I'm guarded about kickstarter (read: cheap), I'm very stoked by some of the spehs games being ks'ed lately.  I was very sad that Nexus 2 didn't get funded when I found it.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:14:26 pm »

It sounds too good to be true. So I'm avoiding it like the plague until Beta.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:17 pm »

Oh just look at all these dev logs, this guy is working on that game every single day, look at all the dev logs youll see for yourself.
We love space game.

While I'm guarded about kickstarter (read: cheap), I'm very stoked by some of the spehs games being ks'ed lately.  I was very sad that Nexus 2 didn't get funded when I found it.
Yeah same here :(, i was soo glad when i heard the news of the kickstarter and then it fell on its face sadly...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »

Wow... Dat so pretty. PTW.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:08 pm »

It sounds too good to be true. So I'm avoiding it like the plague until Beta. reading some reviews post-release.

Updated quote for truth.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 05:33:49 pm »

If by reading some reviews post release you mean playing the game demo, I agree.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 05:38:44 pm »

youtube vids are up but he is no closer to putting the game out

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »

I think star citizen has youtube videos  :P

In case it isn't clear, I'm not hopeful for Star Citizen's development.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:42:33 pm by Rez »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »

ptw

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »

If by reading some reviews post release you mean playing the game demo, I agree.

Touche!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7