Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Limit Theory  (Read 18143 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Theory
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »

Josh is optimizing to have 60fps at medium graphics on an older PC that's approximately equal to an average laptop from two years ago. I can't find the exact specs, but it's about the same as this laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-G7-2243us-Discrete-Class-BrightView-LED-backlit/dp/B00AF2EP1I/ref=sr_1_1/181-7337979-2527563?ie=UTF8&qid=1414258604&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+pavilion+g7-2243us

Of course, if it'll run at 60 fps on that, it'll probably run at an acceptable framerate on an average laptop from four years ago. As PCs tend to be far more powerful than laptops, you should definitely be fine on an average computer from then. The question would be, how powerful is your computer?

edited: added bolded portion
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:52:39 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 12:45:49 pm »

Josh is optimizing to have 60fps on an older PC that's approximately equal to an average laptop from two years ago. I can't find the exact specs, but it's about the same as this laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-G7-2243us-Discrete-Class-BrightView-LED-backlit/dp/B00AF2EP1I/ref=sr_1_1/181-7337979-2527563?ie=UTF8&qid=1414258604&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+pavilion+g7-2243us

Of course, if it'll run at 60 fps on that, it'll probably run at an acceptable framerate on an average laptop from four years ago. As PCs tend to be far more powerful than laptops, you should definitely be fine on an average computer from then. The question would be, how powerful is your computer?

I...I can't really believe that. I mean, maybe a two year old gaming laptop, but an average laptop (say 2ghz, 4gb ram, integrated graphics) would have a heck of a hard time doing anything like what he's got going.

Again, i'd love to be proved wrong, but something just kinda seems a bit off with this - he's made a lot of extravagant claims, and although I'd love to see it pulled off, I just feel like its a 'if it feels to good to be true...' thing.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:58 pm »

Ohhhhhh. I dashed it off too quick and forgot to mention the "medium graphics" part, thanks. e.e lol. at least I got it fixed before too many people saw it, right? :\ But no, I meant it would run at medium graphics for those specs. As to what constitutes "medium graphics"... I'll admit I don't really know.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:24 pm »

Ohhhhhh. I dashed it off too quick and forgot to mention the "medium graphics" part, thanks. e.e lol. at least I got it fixed before too many people saw it, right? :\ But no, I meant it would run at medium graphics for those specs. As to what constitutes "medium graphics"... I'll admit I don't really know.

That still means a lot to me wanting to buy this, since it might just actually run on my computer.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »

To be honest, I still can't even see it at medium. I have the epitome of an '2 year old average laptop' and it struggles with anything even approaching that level of 3d graphics. X3 doesn't run for instance, and this should be heaps more intensive, especially if it's having to procedurally generate everything.

I'm not saying it can't be true, just that it seems rather unlikely that it'll be able to run.

It's my whole problem with this project; it just seems to good to be true, or that the developer is just sorta exaggerating stuff a bit.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »

x3 is a terrible, awful hog of a program.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 01:42:34 pm »

The laptop I linked to above is my laptop (which, coincidentally, almost exactly matches Josh's optimization PC). I don't know about x3, but I can run crysis at medium graphics without issue (though I only get around 20-30 fps, usually). X3 is very poorly optimized, though... especially seeing as it was made almost ten years ago.

That said, I respect your opinion. :)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 07:34:46 am »

The laptop I linked to above is my laptop (which, coincidentally, almost exactly matches Josh's optimization PC). I don't know about x3, but I can run crysis at medium graphics without issue (though I only get around 20-30 fps, usually). X3 is very poorly optimized, though... especially seeing as it was made almost ten years ago.

That said, I respect your opinion. :)

My apologies, I hadn't actually clicked the link to the laptop (somehow I didn't see it before?). For me I would class that as an above average laptop, and I can well imagine it running on something like that. I guess it all comes down to the interpretation of average laptop really, but what I am glad about is that he's at least trying to optimize it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »

He is. He's gotten it optimized for a cap of about 512 ships per system at half the normal framerate, but I imagine of course that it would dip down farther than that were they all in mass combat. Update #16, here, shows huge quantities of ships all in the same system. (And a lot of EVE-ish prototype market stuff, too.)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »

This seems very, very interesting. PTW, yo.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »

I retract back my previous statements, I watched some more of the dev logs and it's truly, truly amazing and I'm incredibly impressed.

I think I just saw some bits of the devlogs before which came across a bit snakeoily, but seeing the NPCs and market work is just incredible and sort of too big to fake (not that I though he was faking exactly, just that he might have been over-exaggerating).

I still think there's going to be a problem with it all being procedural, as even as exciting as it all looks, without some sort of drive to do stuff I can imagine it might get a bit tedious. The way I think of it is with DF you've got sieges and !FUN! as you dig deeper, which sort of move you onwards. If this just offers you the ability to buy more and more ships, then I might become a bit stale.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 03:13:39 pm »

I retract back my previous statements, I watched some more of the dev logs and it's truly, truly amazing and I'm incredibly impressed.

I think I just saw some bits of the devlogs before which came across a bit snakeoily, but seeing the NPCs and market work is just incredible and sort of too big to fake (not that I though he was faking exactly, just that he might have been over-exaggerating).

I still think there's going to be a problem with it all being procedural, as even as exciting as it all looks, without some sort of drive to do stuff I can imagine it might get a bit tedious. The way I think of it is with DF you've got sieges and !FUN! as you dig deeper, which sort of move you onwards. If this just offers you the ability to buy more and more ships, then I might become a bit stale.
Well each AI will also get priority wich will lead to AI goal, a highly ambitious AI will try to make money and maybe even hire pirate to slow down competion or get rid of it. An AI with high mining skill might want to try to monopolize mining in high yield asteroid, conflict will erupt and they will post job offer that ether you OR the Al can take, so that job offer you say a few minute ago? It may very well not be there anymore and being fullfilled by another AI.

The story will write itself pretty much like DF legend, wether you take part in or not its your call. With the scope it is currently aiming for it might even have colonisation and the way the engine works, wouldnt be that hard to add Exploration * generate new system on the fly for you to take over, explore, sell map etc etc etc* I see this game like a mix of what X4 should have been mixed with procedural stuff.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

Well each AI will also get priority wich will lead to AI goal, a highly ambitious AI will try to make money and maybe even hire pirate to slow down competion or get rid of it. An AI with high mining skill might want to try to monopolize mining in high yield asteroid, conflict will erupt and they will post job offer that ether you OR the Al can take, so that job offer you say a few minute ago? It may very well not be there anymore and being fullfilled by another AI.

The story will write itself pretty much like DF legend, wether you take part in or not its your call. With the scope it is currently aiming for it might even have colonisation and the way the engine works, wouldnt be that hard to add Exploration * generate new system on the fly for you to take over, explore, sell map etc etc etc* I see this game like a mix of what X4 should have been mixed with procedural stuff.
Even so, if the only incentive is 'keep accumulating more stuff' then I just can't see it keeping my interest. I mean, if the AI is really good enough to become organised and become a major threat/declare war on you then that could be really interesting, or similarly if the missions are wide reaching enough for them to be sort of epic quests, but I've never seen a game achieve anything like that level of scope/detail and not be scripted.

This isn't to say I think the game won't be fun, just that I feel it needs some sort of direction, or game changing events (like sieges in DF) to keep it interesting.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 06:51:28 am »

Oh if you keep hampering on some NPC goal, it sure will decrease relation with you and may eventually lead to war, at least thats what i heard was the plan. Also isnt all the game base on *want to keep all the stuff/prestige/power/*insert name** goal? :)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 07:36:37 am »

As of right now, the way it's intended to work is that you start the game in a relatively safe system, and the farther you go away from that system, the more dangerous the universe becomes - not by design, but simply because it generated the universe and then picked a safe system for you to start in. When you move outside the initially generated area, it creates more systems, more factions, etc. These factions can become more powerful in exactly the same way you can, and of course, they'll want to expand - and you'll be in the way. While some AI personalities will be content to coexist, with others it will lead to large-scale wars.

In addition to the regular "blow sh!t up" approach, you could also target the enemy's economy if you're careful and skilled, bringing them to their knees despite being a much smaller force... provided they don't do the same to you. You could alternatively persuade another faction to go to war with them, weakening them for you... you get the idea - multiple ways to accomplish any major goal.

I'm not sure if that's the "direction" you're looking for, but I guess it's a start? It's not quite sieges, but espionage and war could keep it interesting for a while. If you don't want to go that route, there's also exploration... Josh has made exploration a perfectly viable path through "data packets": basically, discovering new things - like a wormhole - generates a data packet with the location of said wormhole, which can then be sold for a profit - larger depending on how many other people know of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7