Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Limit Theory  (Read 18173 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Theory
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2017, 07:47:46 am »

Josh posted a devlog update today, just a short while ago. :) tl;dr: Josh is working on the whole ship/station/asteroid problem and it's more difficult than he expected. He also added in some pretty graphics additions yesterday.

Link: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5993

For those that don't want to trawl through a ton of technical stuff, there's a non-technical summary at the bottom of his post.

Great, thanks for that! Are there screenshots of the graphics stuff? If so they don't seem to be loading.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2017, 08:53:16 am »

Nope. He didn't post any this time around, but knowing him, he won't be able to resist the temptation for very long. :) We'll probably see some shinies within the next few weeks.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »

New devlog update! Here's a link. In summary: Josh finished the entity component system, and set up the framework to make it much easier to add content, as he's getting to that point. Everything's finally getting pieced back together, and much, much faster than before, both in terms of performance and content creation. No pictures yet, but I'm sure he'll have some soon. He likes showing off. :)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »

Another devlog update! Here's a link. tl;dr: Josh is updating the code to include factions again, advanced combat, improved AI, and generally working on implementing gameplay to get things back to where they were before (except with an acceptable frame rate this time), and then move forward.

In the meantime, he's provided an album of shiny pictures, viewable here. You can also view a couple of them in the spoiler below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally... remember me talking about that website update? It's here! (And it's my doing, too.)  :D

http://ltheory.com/

If things look weird, force cache refresh with ctrl+f5 or shift+f5, depending on your browser. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:43:41 pm by Talvieno »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »

Another devlog update! Here's a link. tl;dr: Josh is updating the code to include factions again, advanced combat, improved AI, and generally working on implementing gameplay to get things back to where they were before (except with an acceptable frame rate this time), and then move forward.

In the meantime, he's provided an album of shiny pictures, viewable here. You can also view a couple of them in the spoiler below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally... remember me talking about that website update? It's here! (And it's my doing, too.)  :D

http://ltheory.com/

If things look weird, force cache refresh with ctrl+f5 or shift+f5, depending on your browser. :)

Great! thanks for the post - it's always good to see and those pictures look great!

The website is looking fantastic! However you need to really, really need to compress those pictures. Don't worry about losing a bit of fidelity, you won't lose anything much even by taking them to a third of their size.

Take bs2.jpg on the front page for instance, that's 1.3mb (with the others being 500kb-1mb) - even on my currently fast internet connection that's a lot of an ask for one web page.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »

This game looks remarkable. So I suppose this is partly a PTW sort of post.
I don't really want to go digging through the forums and such right now, I'm too tired for that, so, do you have any sort of idea when the game will be released to the public?

Kind of reminds me of parts of the game called Kinetic Void. Visually.

Please don't go any further than a vague visual similarity. KV is the reason I am very hesitant to make Steam green-light purchases/pre-purchases/etc. Because the developers up and vanished without completing the game. And now will not let anyone ELSE complete the game.

We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2017, 08:58:08 am »

The website is looking fantastic! However you need to really, really need to compress those pictures. Don't worry about losing a bit of fidelity, you won't lose anything much even by taking them to a third of their size.

Take bs2.jpg on the front page for instance, that's 1.3mb (with the others being 500kb-1mb) - even on my currently fast internet connection that's a lot of an ask for one web page.
Hmm, good suggestion and a solid point. I'll get to work on fixing that soon.

edit: It is now fixed. :) Still looks good, decent quality, should be a lot faster now.

This game looks remarkable. So I suppose this is partly a PTW sort of post.
I don't really want to go digging through the forums and such right now, I'm too tired for that, so, do you have any sort of idea when the game will be released to the public?
"When it's done". Right now we don't have an official release date because Josh is notorious for underestimating how long things take. I don't blame you for not feeling like digging through forums, but fortunately, we have a handy FAQ page you might look at that would answer that and other questions. :)

Kind of reminds me of parts of the game called Kinetic Void. Visually.

Please don't go any further than a vague visual similarity. KV is the reason I am very hesitant to make Steam green-light purchases/pre-purchases/etc. Because the developers up and vanished without completing the game. And now will not let anyone ELSE complete the game.
No, the focuses of Kinetic Void and Limit Theory are rather different. Kinetic Void purportedly focused on "customization and exploration"; Limit Theory aims to give you a "living universe" where you have the ability to change the galaxy to your liking - just like everyone else. Exploration is a focus to some extent, but only as a side focus - a path you can take to achieving your goals - a means to an end.

Josh has admittedly "up and vanished" before, though, and I wouldn't blame you for being skeptical. Although he never lost sight of his ultimate goal to complete Limit Theory, I'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. After all, a game is little more than nothing without good public relations.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:24:02 am by Talvieno »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2017, 12:06:12 pm »

I mean in overall look and feel. The graphics are similar, though it is an unrefined sort of look that I hope ends up getting changed for your game. Especially since, for me and my poor, lowish-end computers, this look is usually accompanied by unoptimized everything and lots of lag.

But yeah, I understand your differences. It's the visual feel that really strongly reminded me of KV. Good luck, I suppose.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2017, 12:12:35 pm »

No, Josh is trying to avoid working on graphics too much until the polishing phase. From what I've seen though, LT is a lot prettier than KV. As to whether it will run on your computer, I'm not sure. Optimization will be fine, almost certainly. Josh takes that very seriously.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »

My computers are usually OK, but games with that graphical aesthetic, like I said, usually don't have great optimization in place. And are usually laggy no matter what you're playing on.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »

Ah, right, that makes sense. Yeah, I've noticed that too... but you shouldn't have to worry if your computers have semi-decent specs (as long as they aren't ancient, anyway). Josh is aiming for it to run at a solid 60fps on max graphics on his laptop. At lower specs (or faster hardware) it should do even better.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2017, 03:49:40 pm »

Sounds awesome. Definitely going to keep an eye on this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »

April's Kickstarter post is up. :) It summarizes most of the stuff in the devlogs, so if you've seen the devlogs, it's just more of the same.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2017, 07:23:02 am »

Josh posted a new "devlog" update yesterday. I put "devlog" in quotations because it wasn't really a log about game development, but rather about developing the game development. In short, he's hiring an intern to help him out with the code, to try to get the game out faster. :)

Link is here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2017, 08:50:07 am »

New devlog. This week's tl;dr: Josh actually has two interns, and has been working on getting them situated with writing some of the higher-level gameplay code while he works on the lower-level stuff. Framerate turns out to be... well, less-than-optimal on lower-end cards such as the 760, so he's now working to optimize it properly.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7