Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 42127 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2016, 12:55:52 am »

... so long as it only applied to the player, maybe. Otherwise you'd probably end up rolling evil just to fight more heroic critters that don't have the stat buffs :V
Except Heroic critters all have extra lives. And respawn right away in the same area. But with like broken hearts and stuff.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2016, 03:30:58 am »

I'd... probably still prefer that rather substantially over one-life mooks flapping all over the place with substantial stat boosts. Plus killing them more means more experience, heh. Still, in gearhead, if you can kill one thing one time you can usually kill it five (or an indefinite amount of, if you're either not using ammo limited weapons or can scrounge ammo off the enemy) times sequentially. Meanwhile if you can't hit the blighter to begin with you're just kinda' screwed. Iirc that rep stuff is on a hundred scale, so full evil would mean topping off at plus bloody ten by that +1/10 evil ratio. And in gearhead a ten point stat boost is seriously substantial. Hell, a five point boost is generally enough to wreck major face.

I guess if you yank the numbers back hard it might be okay. +1 every 30 or 50 or thereabouts, so the most you'll get is like +2-3 (which is still kinda' nasty but it's a lot less nasty). But tbh I'd be leery from a balance perspective even at just a +1 when maxed... those kinds of things add up a lot harder for your opponents than it does for you in these kinds of games. Given the difference between choosing between a five round five man fight and a one round five man fight with an additional 200 (at +5 across the board) to 400 (+10) stats between them I'd muuuuuch rather take the endurance match, heh. Especially if there was an extra 40-80 stat points being shoved into my character for the marathon. Not even remotely a question, there.

... maybe if there were some +1-2 points worth of bonus skill tied to the alignments, just on a few specific skills. Maybe some talents or skills that change behavior or are only accessible after certain breakpoints, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:32:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2016, 11:04:14 am »

so full evil would mean topping off at plus bloody ten by that +1/10 evil ratio. And in gearhead a ten point stat boost is seriously substantial. Hell, a five point boost is generally enough to wreck major face.

I guess if you yank the numbers back hard it might be okay. +1 every 30 or 50 or thereabouts
I'd say keep the 1/10, but make it a bonus to 1 stat: each time you cross a threshold of evilness you get +1 to one semi-random stat, until all stats get a bonus, then you go for a second round. So you only end up with +1/+2 (no big deal, you can get that on mood enhancers alone) but you still feel like you got something.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:01 am »

Hi guys, I recently installed GH1. I could create a character but somehow I cannot get my game saved. I'm on Windows 8.1. Is the game suppose to save when I quit it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out 'X' is the Save button.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:18:37 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2016, 12:04:12 am »

so full evil would mean topping off at plus bloody ten by that +1/10 evil ratio. And in gearhead a ten point stat boost is seriously substantial. Hell, a five point boost is generally enough to wreck major face.

I guess if you yank the numbers back hard it might be okay. +1 every 30 or 50 or thereabouts
I'd say keep the 1/10, but make it a bonus to 1 stat: each time you cross a threshold of evilness you get +1 to one semi-random stat, until all stats get a bonus, then you go for a second round. So you only end up with +1/+2 (no big deal, you can get that on mood enhancers alone) but you still feel like you got something.

Yeah, every 30 levels of evil would probably make more sense, if all stats get +1.  And that would be easier to track, considering that the player losses the stat buff for decreased evil levels.  I imagine it would be something like the buff for happiness and such.  And I don't think the NPCs should have the buff (which makes sense as I don't think NPCs have buffs anyways, unless the player gives them one).

Alternatively, the buff for evil could be like other buffs in that it has a fixed increase in stats, with more stats effected to a greater degree as the player slides to Ultimate Evil 100.

Obviously, Ego should be the first stat boosted, lol.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2016, 05:50:52 am »

Can you join and progress up multiple factions, given that you fulfill the initial joining requirements?

Also, I got to the Wolfram in the first dungeon. How do you get it out of the dungeon? The guide says mecha transporting, but doesn't mention anything else.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:57:46 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »

I've... forgot. And am entirely too tired to check. But I want to say there's something with the non-mech transport system (buses et al, in GH1) that lets you ferry SF:1+ machines around for a price. Could definitely be wrong, but that's the bell that's ringing.
Ask not!
Ask!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »

I know in particular there's an easy, free way to get that one out of the bottom of the mine, but I can't remember it either.   Does it just show up on your list of available mechs if you open it?   At worst, you *might* have to run your guy down there, go to the camp mode, make it his current mech andhe should be outside piloting it?   Damned if i can remember :p   Some kind of "take the elevator" option?   Or did that get you up without the mech?

ED:  And I'm pretty sure you can only advance in the faction you're a member of at the time, and you can only be in 1 faction, although there are a few you can do, finish, quit, and then join in a different one.

ED2:  Oh, tip for GH1 - if you're playing in ascii you can make the playfield bigger - like 120x50 at least.   IIRC you have to launch it from a CMD prompt, use the CMD prompt LINES/COLUMNS command to set those, then in the GH1 options file there's corresponding settings - make those match and BAM much view.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:35:59 pm by gimlet »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »

I tried going to level 5 where the Wolfram is and then set is as my active mech and using the elevator to return to the world map. It resulted in my other free mech (given by Megi) not being selectable in town (I supposed it was left in the dungeon?).

I'll check the bus terminal thingy.

blazing glory

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:57 pm »

Mecha transporting(not personal transporting) can get it out, just poke around all the houses.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2016, 04:32:08 pm »

It should be outside automatically once you activate the elevator. I don't remember ever having to do anything special with it. However, I know when I leave parts strewn everywhere on my minmax tech vulture runs you need to send buses out to pick up gear and bring em to town. Or carry limbs.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2016, 07:00:46 pm »

Oh yeah, maybe you have to go down in the mine *without* having a mech piloted, then it lets you pilot it out?  Now you might have to do it twice if you left another one down there :D    Or yeah you should be able to use the transport service.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2016, 05:35:21 am »

Oh yeah, maybe you have to go down in the mine *without* having a mech piloted, then it lets you pilot it out? 

This worked! I had to leave town to 'Eject from mech', as it didn't work inside town. Then I went down again as a mechless character to the dungeon, assign the Wolfram to myself, and then took the elevator up. Now both mechs are available for use.

The transport service is the Bus Station building, which costs $2500, so I went with the free method above.

The Wolfram seems to be completely inferior to the Corsair. Should I just sell the Wolfram to better arm the Corsair? My character is an Arena Pilot with focus on Mecha Piloting, Mecha Fighting (for Kungfu) and abit of Mecha Gunnery.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2016, 05:49:50 am »

The wolfram pretty much is worse than the corsair, yes, iirc. Want to say it's better than some burus, but from what I can remember about the best thing you can do starting off with it is strip off the laser and the hat and stick those on something more useful.

Selling it or not depends on you, though. Generally you want to have at least one backup sitting around, but also generally you want something besides a wolfram doing it.
Ask not!
Ask!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2016, 05:51:32 am »

Thanks for the tips. I'll strip its parts and then sell it then.

Also my character suffers from 'Bad Mood'. I suspect that's because I let him got hungry, but I've fed him 3x since then but the bad mood hasn't gone away. What gives?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19