Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 42131 times)

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44:09 am »

I recall from an ancient post that JH had never intended to support full-on Villainous playstyles, so the benefits for Heroic and lack thereof for Villainous kind of reinforce that. You also don't get to join Aegis Overlord Luna, the Bone Devils or the Ravagers - the worst you can do is join the Thieves' Guild (which is just Chaotic), Kettel Industries or BioCorp.

Haven't played GH2 so I don't know if GH2 allows more flexibility. But either way, I'm sure there's mod space for, say, a Ravager outpost in GH1 and players turning outright bad.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2016, 08:35:11 am »

Thanks for the tips. I'll strip its parts and then sell it then.

Also my character suffers from 'Bad Mood'. I suspect that's because I let him got hungry, but I've fed him 3x since then but the bad mood hasn't gone away. What gives?
It can take some time. There's also more than one sort of food... iirc some can actually make your mood worse. Generally you want to stock up on... deluxe rations, I think it was? Or noodle cups, something along those lines. And maybe some chocolate. As those improve mood when you eat them. I generally just bought fifty or sixty of the things the first time I saw them and had the cash and stuffed most of it into a spare mech (and a handful in my primary -- SF:0 junk has barely any effect on SF:2 machines, so far as weight and whatnot goes). If you really want to know for sure, the food items are in PC_Equipment, if my memory's working. Fairly straightforward to read, too, at least for those ones.

There's also a number of other things that can cause it. Bad conversations or combat/mission failures are probably the most common (and sewer runs probably the thing you'll eventually be inflicting on yourself regularly). One of the reasons you put a point into... whatever the conversation skill was... and then talk to everyone until their bar gets. I want to say yellow? Never actually tap it out, as that will usually make relations (and your mood) worse. Anyway that'll get your convo thing to five or so without investment fairly quickly, after which talking to people a lot will help with your mood a bit.

If you really want to get rid of it, there's a town in the upper-middle part of the green part of the world map that has hot springs -- a dip or two in that'll fix you right up, if you've got the cash for it. Easily the fastest way to recover from sewer runs, heh, and once you start doing those with much regularity/depth the cost is pretty trivial.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2016, 11:46:46 am »

That town has so many morale boosting options, its not funny.

As for the wolfram, its a mining mech, not a combat mech. Fairly durable, and equipping a good gun on it is a decent idea, especially if you have a heavy gauss from a buruburu. I'm fairly sure all Bunbury variants are deliberately really bad, like extra penalties hard coded bad.

Just remember a key thing. If you find a shop selling rapid fire bazookas, glue a couple onto your mech. They make wonderful early game head sniper weapons, and won't do anything to your mech stats even if you have 200 strapped on.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2016, 12:23:59 pm »

Nah, a couple of the burus are a'ight, if maybe more for the stuff they're wearing than the machines themselves. Forget which ones, and they're still not exactly amazing (especially given how combat works), but they're workable enough to get you off the ground. Also seem to remember having one of 'em's limbs as a target for mid/early game harvesting (when I was doing frankenmech runs). Can't even remotely remember which one it was, though.

Still, pretty easy to check if someone cares to. Most of the mech and item code is pretty easy to read, if a bit harder to write.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:28:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2016, 02:17:24 pm »

My Bad Mood went away after I won my first Arena match. I also learned running out of MEntal points led to Exhausted status.

I do have 10 CHA and 2 Conversation. I'm chatting with everyone to build up the Skill XP. Also starting to do my own General Repair and Mecha Repair to train them up. Should I bother with training up First Aid (currently at 1)? I'm not trained in Medicine yet.

Good idea re Rapid Fire Bazooka. Can't afford one yet but I'll keep it in mind. Between the Arena, Sewer, and bounty hunting, what's the most efficient way to build up cash?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2016, 02:39:31 pm »

... if you've got the stats for it, sewer runs are with zero doubt the most efficient way to make money in GH1. After a bit you start regularly walking out of those things with 2 million plus, consistently, for usually fairly little time invested. You just need enough to be able to tangle with a clump of, like. Twenty something albino alligator tier enemies while under the effects of a bad mood >_> Want to say the base was around 25 in primary combat stats, and either something like a couple of plasma cannons or what I mention below? Something that either hits AoE or never has a turn you can't attack with it, from range and without ammo. And your actual skills in the 6-8 range. Something like that.

If you can't afford rf bazookas, though, you're almost certainly not ready to go into one of those things, or at least not ready to be raking it in from 'em. Probably best to stick with other things. Don't recall if arena fighting or chasing missions is more efficient than the other, though.

Incidentally, I'd probably recommend some of the ground level weapon fighting I've forgotten the name of. That and enough deathwings to always have one off cooldown (iirc, it's around seven or eight) make for a hella solid non-mech setup. Infinite functionally-zero CD ranged attacks, that you can still wear melee weapons or guns while using. Plus they poison, and you can stick another doodad on them and have them do even more. Beautifully nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:42:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2016, 03:47:25 pm »

Oh man that makes me remember some of the abuses - to level fast I was "naked boomerang boy" - wear/carry nothing but a couple of boomerangs, with half decent stats and a little skill you could kite and defeat enemies  on the first few levels of the mine, and xp gained were inversely proportional to something like your gear+xp.  So if you wonder why you level up so slowly in the top-level armor carrying the laser cannon, it's 'cause carrying that expensive stuff drops xp gain.   Oh I'd even drop my food and phone by the mine stairs so they wouldn't count against me.    After the boomerangs I think the next thing up was that cheap slug pistol?  Then I figured out all the very cheapest L1/L2 armor, ahhh, good times....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »

Yeah, that sort of thing's good for early leveling. Just have to remind folks trying it that it doesn't effect training, and after a bit (iirc it's usually fairly easy to use-train skills up to five or six... maybe 7 or 8 if you start with it high?) paying for skill XP is so massively more efficient (particularly in the face of sewer runs :P) that type of consideration is mostly pointless :V

... but yeah, mid-late game powering up, if you're trying to be quick about it, basically consists of doing sewer runs and then blowing all the (millions of) dosh on skills. You don't bother with buying almost anything mech related at that point (and you won't be buying anything except consumables for SF:0, either, as it usually takes the best you can buy in-shop just to do the runs) -- if you need or want a part, you take your cash-infused piloting skills and go headshot whatever it is you're after. Every penny piles into the skills (and repairing stuff, I guess).

Can ramp it up, too. If you can do a 100k+ run, it's pretty easy to use that to start bootstrapping skills and pull yourself up to the point you're managing the 2-3 million plus runs.
Ask not!
Ask!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2016, 04:54:22 pm »

Ah yes I saw the Deathwing and was interested in it. Unfortunately my char is Martial Art primary and Small Arms secondary. Deathwing uses Armed Combats I believe? Is it stil worth using despite the -2 Penalty from unlearned skill?

I do carry with me a Heavy Slug Pistol. I only use it when I need to quickly finish off multiple threats to prevent them ganking on me.

I perhaps will stick to arena and bounty for now.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »

Yeah, that's the skill. It... can be if your stats are high enough, but it's probably better to either do a little dance and pick up AC or just not use it. GH1 has fairly little stopping you from picking up every single skill in the game if you particularly feel like it.
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »

The way XP works is that your value is compared to the opponents value. This is why a naked martial arts master can reach insane character levels within 5 minutes of gametime. I want to say its something like maxed martial arts, speed, strength and reflexes, and just go to town on every SF0 enemy you find.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2016, 07:41:32 pm »

Sounds about right.

Also worth noting that with enough MA and stats, you can punch mecha to death with your bare hands. It takes a lot, but you can do it.
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2016, 08:03:33 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I'll strip its parts and then sell it then.

Also my character suffers from 'Bad Mood'. I suspect that's because I let him got hungry, but I've fed him 3x since then but the bad mood hasn't gone away. What gives?
It can take some time. There's also more than one sort of food... iirc some can actually make your mood worse. Generally you want to stock up on... deluxe rations, I think it was? Or noodle cups, something along those lines. And maybe some chocolate. As those improve mood when you eat them. I generally just bought fifty or sixty of the things the first time I saw them and had the cash and stuffed most of it into a spare mech (and a handful in my primary -- SF:0 junk has barely any effect on SF:2 machines, so far as weight and whatnot goes). If you really want to know for sure, the food items are in PC_Equipment, if my memory's working. Fairly straightforward to read, too, at least for those ones.

There's also a number of other things that can cause it. Bad conversations or combat/mission failures are probably the most common (and sewer runs probably the thing you'll eventually be inflicting on yourself regularly). One of the reasons you put a point into... whatever the conversation skill was... and then talk to everyone until their bar gets. I want to say yellow? Never actually tap it out, as that will usually make relations (and your mood) worse. Anyway that'll get your convo thing to five or so without investment fairly quickly, after which talking to people a lot will help with your mood a bit.

If you really want to get rid of it, there's a town in the upper-middle part of the green part of the world map that has hot springs -- a dip or two in that'll fix you right up, if you've got the cash for it. Easily the fastest way to recover from sewer runs, heh, and once you start doing those with much regularity/depth the cost is pretty trivial.

The item you're looking for is the Deluxe Noodle Cup.  It's lightweight, filling, and boosts your mood.  Although if a character is in a bad mood, they should eat Chocolate which isn't filling and boosts mood (not being filling means the character can eat more).

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2016, 06:41:41 am »

I'm making good progress, just got 2 salvaged mech, a Phalanx Buru Buru and a Claymore (seems sucky). So far, dungeon has given more than arena or combat missions I've been doing for Solar Navy.

I started with 15 INT and have 23 skills. How do I go about increasing INT so I can learn more skills without the penalty? I know about the Talent that does this, but I'm interested in permanently boosting my stats.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2016, 08:11:51 am »

Boost up int-based skills, then stick XP in the stat. There'll be an option in the character menu when you're able to. Forget exactly how many skills levels you need, though. Pretty sure mecha design or whatever it is is one, so it tends to make a good first target. Then probably science and... I think medicine is an int skill? Since those can both get you a bit extra cash (use science on the rocks you occasionally find in dungeons, if you haven't noticed already). Then other stuff.

All the stats work like that, actually. Another reason cash training is so desirable -- you can avoid spending straight up XP on skills and put them all into stats.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:15:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19