Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 42054 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:28 pm »

Heavy actuators increase Walk/Run speed and melee damage; also lessens the effect of weight on MV/TR. Overchargers greatly increases a mecha's speed in any mode, but only when going full speed. Later updates may have added a small bonus in cruise speed.

In previous builds, you could do insane amounts of melee damage with HA's, I had a SF1 Mecha that could 1-shot Zeta Daums and was near impossible to hit (due to being SF1). Later updates added a cap, but it's still fairly strong.

In my experience, the increased PV/weight wasn't worth the minor bonuses, but I always run generally light, dodge-y builds so YMMV.

Overchargers, on the other hand, are a great addition to most mechas. The speed increase is significant. And IIRC they're cheaper PV-wise than other components. The downside is that they have higher CMX values over their regular counterparts.

Mmhm. Since I only really play GH2, no SF1 for me.

Unrelatedly, my woes in hunting the perfect Reaver Railgun continue. Come on, game, give me enemy Aces that have mechs with railguns :( I need one that's <5.0t

edit: Bloody hell, what are the prereqs for the Innovation talent.

Heh, then you'll get less out of the Overchargers (Speed was King in GH1, but I often find myself not moving while firing in GH2).
Sadly, you'll also get less out of the Heavy Actuators because they mainly help with melee.  And its hard to use melee in the space battles that make up 80% of GH2.

My advice is to skip both and even Arc Thrusters in favor of ranged weapons.  I think you're going in the right direction with the Reaver Railgun.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2017, 11:32:12 pm »

Innovation requires 10 Mecha Engineering. It's not as strong as it was in GH1 though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:03 pm »

Still ain't exactly terrible, heh. The changes to stuffing parts into things definitely made it more limited, though.

That said, heavy acts are fairly functional in GH2 providing the melee weapon you're using is throw/return. It still boosts those, and they're significantly more functional in space. If it's actually just melee, yeah, you probably don't want to bother.

... mind you, with GH2 that's more a statement regarding melee weapons entirely, not just the efficacy of heavy acts in conjunction with them, ehehe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:02 pm »

Innovation requires 10 Mecha Engineering. It's not as strong as it was in GH1 though.

So it was 10. Damnation.

And yes, I am currently encrusting my savin in arc thrusters, as is good and proper. With any luck (and some more Ace custom super-weight-reduced ovaknight limbs) I should be able to hit 0/0/+6 and ~250 speed for safety.

Related to the gh2 in general, since I'm still playing on a 6 year old 0.628 install, are any of you playing with the modern era compiles? I am, unfortunately, too dumb to do that myself, but some of JH's changes look fantastic.

edit:

It's been too long since I really played GH2. What the heck is the "### likes fortune cookies" rumor for? The "### is out on patrol" one at least is useful for hunting down rival aces in hostile spinners, but IDK what the cookies one is for.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:00:58 am by Cornuthaum »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2017, 01:34:15 am »

"Likes fortune cookies" means they will dump a lot of rumors on you, so they make good quest hubs.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:43 am »

Something I was never sure of: Does the Born To Fly talent actually work in GH2's space flight?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »

Something I was never sure of: Does the Born To Fly talent actually work in GH2's space flight?
AFAIK, yes. Even the developer listed it as one of the more potent traits of gh2
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »

AFAIK, yes. Even the developer listed it as one of the more potent traits of gh2
I was actually just about to ask Cornuthaum if they had it, and suggest it if not, heh.

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2017, 12:11:03 pm »

It's usually the 10k xp talent for me, with Polymath as the first one. Skills are love are life and I hate lancemates.

(Polymath -> BTF -> Extropian -> Innovation -> whatever the hell I please, at 100k xp I don't need anything)

Editing this in since I don't want to doublepost, but I know there's some locked cases in the various faction HQs like the Silver Fortress, but what other personal-scale stuff is there to steal? I've never done a factory raid in GH2 because I play my characters as very Lawful, but I feel like making a larcenous scoundrel this time around. Any help with that? Where to go, what to steal, and stuff like that?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:06:01 pm by Cornuthaum »

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:10 am »

Ah, I must perforce turn to the sin of double posting.

Where can I reliably farm Silver Knight missions? I want to hit max rank with a faction for a change, and I'm already up to Knight, so I'd rather not re-grind everything, but missions are few and far between even in Cesena :(

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:31 am »

Ah, I must perforce turn to the sin of double posting.

Where can I reliably farm Silver Knight missions? I want to hit max rank with a faction for a change, and I'm already up to Knight, so I'd rather not re-grind everything, but missions are few and far between even in Cesena :(
Check the news and rumors every game day. Occasionally, you'll see news articles about various factions clashing with others in spinners. Head there. And if cesena ever gets one of those economic boom articles, go back there, as missions will rain from the sky.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »

Man, I just went through the old GH2 forums, and my first Victory Dump is still up there. Squee. Nearly 7 years since I started playing GH/GH2

Unrelatedly: How many mecha combat arenas are there, and where are they?

I know there's the SF:0 arena in Theles, the Space Arena in Maquise and the Surface arena in Cayley, but there are AFAIR others?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:40:53 pm by Cornuthaum »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:19 am »

Man, I just went through the old GH2 forums, and my first Victory Dump is still up there. Squee. Nearly 7 years since I started playing GH/GH2

I know there's the SF:0 arena in Theles, the Space Arena in Maquise and the Surface arena in Cayley, but there are AFAIR others?
I seem to recall an underground mech arena set in a cave, but,I can't remember if it was story based or a set feature somewhere.

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2017, 02:35:32 pm »

I seem to recall an underground mech arena set in a cave, but,I can't remember if it was story based or a set feature somewhere.

And I can't remember if that was GH1 or GH2. But yeah, I know it's *somewhere*.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

GH1 I think one of the corporations has an underground mech arena. In GH2 there is one in that spinner where there was an accident and it's rebuilding, Tohru I think.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19