Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 42044 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »

No fast travel, that I can recall.* You can up your viewing range (one of the stats, though I'm blanking on which one at the moment), iirc, for what it's worth.**

As for the H/K, iirc that's just a critter that's on that particular map. I do believe it's part of a small plot line, but not something you enable elsewhere. That's something that's part of a few maps in the game, so far as I can recall.

*E: Well, except the bus (and I want to say one ferry?) lines. Had forgot about those. They don't move to buildings, though, just towns. Also kinda' useless if you've got a mech, since iirc they don't bring your machine with you. Plus the overworld map in GH1 is kinda' small anyway, so it's not like it's terribly hard to get around, heh. So long as you're not on foot, anyway.

**E2: Ah, though yeah, that would presumably not be of much use to a blind player. It's mildly better in GH2 as far as that goes (most important areas/shops/etc. have their own maps, instead of just being buildings you wander into), but GH1, not so much.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:02:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2016, 07:52:39 pm »

Turning On the Minimap (which is Off by default) and turning On the names above NPCs heads (again, Off by default) helps immensely with navigation.  Experience will let you ID buildings by the minimap.

Decimus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »

So... necroing a bit. Also probably not quite a good thread fit for it, but I also don't feel like starting/curating a new one, so... yeah. Anyway, I just noticed today that apparently JH has started tooling around with GH1 again, starting back around the end of janurary. The webpage is back up and comfortably running, a new version of GH1 of all things got released late last month, and... well, yeah. Figured someone that hadn't noticed might be interested in the news.

It's... not quite back, it seems, but it's more back than it was last year, heh.

Anyone happen to have tried out the new stuff? Looks like it's not much more than modernizing the code and whatnot a bit, but I haven't looked at it much besides going "Oh hell, it's updated, go tell people."

Flirtation has been updated to account for ''non-binary' genders and non-heterosexuality. Your character now can have three possible genders (male, female, 'non-binary') and four possible sexual preferences (asexual, males, females, pansexual).

Notably, versions before v1.300 has it activate only if you're speaking to an NPC of the opposite sex of your gender (in which case it adds directly to your Conversation roll). Now, if the NPC meets your character's preferences, Flirtation will be added directly as before. If your character is asexual or bisexual, however, you will always add half your Flirtation instead.

Flirtation, as before, also enables some additional conversation options (it checks for the IsSexy flag, which used to return true for opposite genders; now it's true if the NPC's gender meets your character's preferences, which is always true for pansexual characters, but false for asexual ones), most notably with the shaman at Tokto village. You can also get some freebies like from the mercenary lancemate (who can join without pay if IsSexy is true).

Asexual characters will also never get Flirtation XP from talking to NPCs (because IsSexy is always false, even if they get to add half their Flirtation to Conversation rolls). If IsSexy is true, there is a 1/3 chance you will gain Flirtation XP instead of Conversation XP when you have a "good chat" (defined as your Conversation roll exceeding a certain number defined by the NPC you're speaking to).

It is therefore to your advantage to pick a pansexual character ("looking for anyone"). Hetero or homosexual characters are also fine, for non-munchkins. Asexual characters are gimped, though oddly, you can still get the Aranos from Vikki so long as you have at least a single point in Flirtation, even if your character is asexual (or prefers only males). That 'quest' just checks for the presence of the Flirtation skill instead of the IsSexy flag.

Characters created in older versions are always considered asexual, because they don't have the "0 3 3 x" flag under their stats in the save. You can retroactively add a sexual preference; "0 3 3 1" for males, "0 3 3 2" for females, and "0 3 3 3" for anyone. "0 3 3 0" is, I believe, asexual, but an easier way to handle this is to just delete the "0 3 3 x" flag.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:03:55 pm by Decimus »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2016, 09:23:52 pm »

Suggested feature!

Male Heterosexual characters should get IsSexy flag for individuals whom dress like women but have penises if they fail an Investigation roll.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:17 pm »

... how would the game tell, though? Unless content was added as well, there's all of four gender-specified armor items in the game, and I can't recall if anything not the specified gender can even wear them. Though maybe the mentioned change changed that, I'unno.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if the things are even properly in the game, or if the decade old version of GH1 I've been sitting on had modded stuff added to it or not. I don't remember ever seeing jester armor in the game back when I played...

E: Though honestly, in a post-apoc world with laser beam bras, I'm not sure how well culturally normative gender specific clothing will have managed to hold up. When complaining about someone's clothing choice can get your house leveled, people probably stop complaining and start assuming everyone is wearing a multi-missile corset.

Maybe the actual suggested feature would be to add a feature that assigns gender norms to armor items at random, in addition to that suggested change? I could get behind that. Nothing like having your optimal armor choices end up with you crossdressing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:25:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2016, 01:47:13 am »

Couldn't you just get the Bifauxen talent and flirt with anything and everything? I mean, I remember trying to woo my sentient robot that had a chainsaw for a head even without the talent.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:49:14 am by Blaze »

Decimus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2016, 02:54:33 am »

Couldn't you just get the Bifauxen talent and flirt with anything and everything? I mean, I remember trying to woo my sentient robot that had a chainsaw for a head even without the talent.

The Bishounen talent has been renamed to Beautiful One (but it's still referred to as Bishounen internally in the code). It's also buffed slightly; you can now apply your full Flirtation bonus regardless of sexual preferences (similar to before), and you gain a +10 reaction bonus to people your first meet (also, with Beautiful One you can never have less than 0 reaction, so if your modified reaction is less than 0 it just get set to 0 instead).

The problem is the opportunity cost. Talent slots are very precious, and you only get 5 talents in total for your character. You can pretty much get along with anybody anyhow (except on the rare occasion that somebody's personality conflicts with yours on like, say three or more axes) with 10 Conversation and 10 Flirtation (buyable for 1.5 million each) and being pansexual, with enough chatting. Even 6 Conversation and 6 Flirtation is okayish (buyable for 250 000 each), and Charisma stat-ups can be bought very easily since Charisma skill trainers are easily available (stat-ups require a certain amount of ranks in the skills they govern).

Also, post v1.300 you can use Flirtation on anyone (including robots) if you're pansexual or asexual (as mentioned, you apply half your Flirtation, bypassing the check for IsSexy). So, if you're pansexual, Beautiful One basically just doubles the effect of your Flirtation skill in most cases. It doesn't have as much of an impact like say, Sniper, which doubles the effect of your Spot Weakness skill for damage rolls (so each point of Spot Weakness functionally adds 1 to your weapon DC if you're not using a Burst/Scatter/Line/Blast weapon), or Hapkido/Stunt Driving, which give you another parry or dodge roll, respectively. Or something simple that just straight-up add to survivability, like Hard as Nails or one of those talents which give bonuses to Mecha Piloting.

It miiiight be useful if you're playing a Villainous + Chaotic character and can't get along with shopkeepers and most trainers, but eh, just befriend those people before beginning your descent into evul.

... how would the game tell, though? Unless content was added as well, there's all of four gender-specified armor items in the game, and I can't recall if anything not the specified gender can even wear them. Though maybe the mentioned change changed that, I'unno.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if the things are even properly in the game, or if the decade old version of GH1 I've been sitting on had modded stuff added to it or not. I don't remember ever seeing jester armor in the game back when I played...

E: Though honestly, in a post-apoc world with laser beam bras, I'm not sure how well culturally normative gender specific clothing will have managed to hold up. When complaining about someone's clothing choice can get your house leveled, people probably stop complaining and start assuming everyone is wearing a multi-missile corset.

Maybe the actual suggested feature would be to add a feature that assigns gender norms to armor items at random, in addition to that suggested change? I could get behind that. Nothing like having your optimal armor choices end up with you crossdressing.

I've never seen gender-specific armor before. Especially not things like beam bras, oppai missile corsets, or jester clothes. I think that, yes, those were modded-in.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:03:51 am by Decimus »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2016, 08:23:12 am »

The missile corset wasn't actually in the design file I was looking at, and the jester bit was the laser bra, ha, but yeah, after doing a quick check on the current git they were definitely modded in. There's no gender specific clothing in the code. Actually looking at it a bit more, it looks a lot like the Fits tag that would govern that sort of thing isn't even usable for scale 0 actors. Seems like it may be strictly a mech thing.

I fear your dreams of crossdressing shenanigans would require more coding than the current system has, EJ.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:26:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Decimus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2016, 08:54:16 am »

The missile corset wasn't actually in the design file I was looking at, and the jester bit was the laser bra, ha, but yeah, after doing a quick check on the current git they were definitely modded in. There's no gender specific clothing in the code. Actually looking at it a bit more, it looks a lot like the Fits tag that would govern that sort of thing isn't even usable for scale 0 actors. Seems like it may be strictly a mech thing.

I fear your dreams of crossdressing shenanigans would require more coding than the current system has, EJ.

We could, conceivably, code it as a 'random' event (plot in gearhead parlance) with ad-hoc flags, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:56:39 am by Decimus »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:02 pm »

We could, conceivably, code it as a 'random' event (plot in gearhead parlance) with ad-hoc flags, maybe?

Random event would probably be best.
And for the record, I'm pretty sure anyone can wear a Chainmail Bikini, which make sense really.  Except for the "Chainmail Bikini" part.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:54 am »

Oh, insofar as reality goes anyone can wear just about anything, clothes wise. It just might not fit particularly well, or be worn in the manner intended.

Gearhead wise, chainmail bikinis don't even exist in the base game. Presumably the techniques and concept of making one was lost in the Night of Fire.

And coding wise, I've got no clue how implementation would be done, heh. I can make design entries relatively easily (though I'm waaaay out of practice at this point), and I can read plot files somewhat, but actually doing anything with the code is far beyond my capabilities :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:08:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2016, 11:49:43 pm »

Interested in getting back into some Mecha Warfare.

Back to the gender confusion questions, and reviewing the past posts, it would seem that Beautiful One by a NPC would probably have the same effect.  Even if the PC were not ordinarily attracted to the NPC's gender with Beautiful One, they would be with that trait.  Essentially, the occasional random event would just remind the PC of this.

I also have to agree on Beautiful One not being the most useful of player traits.  But hey, its a fun trait, and I'm sure some people will pick it anyways.  I especially like the idea of the Chaotic Character with Beautiful One so they can still sell their ill-gotten gains, but I don't think the game have enough content to really reward selfish and evil characters.  Evil, it would appear, has no benefit whatsoever, unlike Heroic that actually adds as your Extra Lives counter.

EDIT: Maybe Evil should act the exact same as Heroic in giving the player extra lives (currently, I believe it takes away from your extra lives, but I'm not sure).  Too Evil to die, anyone?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2016, 09:55:31 am »

Maybe Evil should act the exact same as Heroic in giving the player extra lives (currently, I believe it takes away from your extra lives, but I'm not sure).  Too Evil to die, anyone?
I'd rather see it add to stats/skills. Heroic chars live for others, but Evil ones live their one life for themselves.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2016, 11:59:45 pm »

Maybe Evil should act the exact same as Heroic in giving the player extra lives (currently, I believe it takes away from your extra lives, but I'm not sure).  Too Evil to die, anyone?
I'd rather see it add to stats/skills. Heroic chars live for others, but Evil ones live their one life for themselves.
That would be awesome actually.  Maybe +1 to all stats per 10 evil?  More powerful, but less lives than the heroes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2016, 12:15:57 am »

... so long as it only applied to the player, maybe. Otherwise you'd probably end up rolling evil just to fight more heroic critters that don't have the stat buffs :V
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19