Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 42138 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:48 am »

Thanks Frumple, that method worked. Raising Mecha Engineering is worth the reduced chance of breaking mecha parts. I don't have Science learned, but will learn upon gaining another KNOwledge (apparently, not called INTeligence n this game).

I missed at least a timed quest, the one that gives you the option to side with reformed bandit or guardian in Snake Lake City. I'm not interested in getting companions, I'm a soloist. Did I miss anything unique?

Also what happens after I defeat the final boss? Can I keep on playing or do I have to start a new game?

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2016, 05:44:02 am »

You can keep going. Iirc all the final boss thing really does is give you access to a neat mech.

As for the missing, I want to say you just missed some dialogue and whatnot, and a free companion. Probably some cash et al, but eh. It's been quite a while, but I don't recall that being more than a side quest.

And yeah, mech engineering can be bloody useful, particularly in GH1 -- it got reigned in a bit in GH2. You can shove a whole hell of a lot into a machine in the first game, heh. If you're really getting into it you'll find yourself hunting specific arms and legs and whatnot, so you can maximize just how many weapons and thrusters you can stick on one machine. I well remember walking out of snake lake with stuff like a three headed six armed five legged mecha, every limb loaded with arc thrusters and equipped with armor also loaded with arc thrusters, and the whole shebang stuffed full of things like those light particle cannons and nova pistols and whatnot.

Neat thing about GH1, that I don't recall ever being changed: Independent of character stats and whatnot, the faster your mech moves, the more it gets to shoot. That has... implications :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2016, 06:17:08 am »

Whoaaa multi-limb mech, I should try that as I've 4 salvaged mech limbs already. I also have 2 turrets but I suppose you cannot install those on Battroids.

So far my Corsair and its Laser Canon are really great. I usually find a mountain tile and fire at incoming enemy mechs. I don't even bother using any other installed weapons, got Rocket Launcher, Shaka Canon, and Mech Canon.

I do like fast mech that compliments my high evasion. I use mainly DC10 weapons (Mecha Gunnery) and Mecha Fighting. What mech should I upgrade to?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2016, 07:03:25 am »

I've completely lost memory of what exactly the upgrades were mech wise, heh. I want to say vadels and savins are go-tos, though? At least as a baseline. Probably spelled one or both wrong, but *shrugs*

For fast mechs, most of my advice would just be to skim through the mech files and see what has plenty of weight reduction on their parts. That's usually a sign it's a higher end speedster mech.
Ask not!
Ask!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2016, 07:55:11 am »

Vadels and savins are the general purpose high end battroids. There is the secret biotech hoverfighter, but that requires a skill you can't really train elsewhere. I think the gigas was the aerofighter/hoverfighter of choice, can't remember which it was.

As for weapons, the best weapon in the game would have to be the drone launcher. I want to say a Luna mech had a 6 shot version, and the mech will rarely pop up in stores. A word of warning, it does make everything far easier, and is much safer to use then nukes. Instant lance in a can, basically.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2016, 02:42:17 pm »

Savins are Gundams from Gundam Wing, so they're really good.

Vadels are a direct upgrade from most starting mechs and can last you for the rest of the game if you have the skill for it unless you are specializing in anything other than battroids. Zerosaikos are a good competitor. Both come with lousy weapons and need a bit of engineering to be made viable. Note that these are *light* mechs, as heavier mechs don't scale very well as time goes on.

You can install anything on any mech, like wings on a tank, or hands on an aerofighter. Just remember that more weight = more penalties.

If you're looking for DC10 weapons (the max for mech gunnery to apply), the laser cannon is a safe and cheap choice. The only thing better that comes off the top of my head are Phase Cannons, which are DC8 but are armorpiercing (and are thus raise PV a lot). You can salvage a pair of these from Radcliff mechs. Though there are Heavy Phase Cannons that you can pull off of Chimentaro mechs. They have an accuracy penalty and a slow rate of fire, but are burst SIX (and also weigh half as much for some reason).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2016, 03:40:31 pm »

You actually can't install all components on all mechs. Turrets are especially annoying, as they provide 360 degree firing arcs, but can only,be attached to ground cars, and hoverfighter Iirc.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »

You can always salvage a tail from a zoanid and it's practically the same thing.

deadreckoning

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »

Is there still a community around this game? I've known about it for a long-ass time but only just recently started playing it seriously, and it seems there's no more forum and the wiki is largely inactive.

I'd probably produce some docs myself if/when I have the time.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2016, 07:37:05 pm »

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

http://gearhead.wikia.com/wiki/Gearhead_RPG_Wikia

Its not as dead as you think.  Times were dark a couple of years ago, but there has been a revival.

Feel free to post here: Several of the more active members from the old forums frequent these halls.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2017, 10:53:00 am »

Did they ever change the way the game punished having good equipment and starting body stat, and rewarded fighting barehanded and naked?

Because I remember every character I made after finding that out just went crazy earning XP by shoryuken-ing radioactive rats (and occasionally setting a mansion on fire by accident with a hadouken).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2017, 11:17:06 am »

Not that I can recall, heh. GH2 might have tweaked the way PV calculations worked, but I can't remember if it did.

And yeah, for those that don't know the XP gain calculations are substantially influenced by the difference in PV between you and what you're fighting. The biggest contributer to PV is... equipment. Weapons. Because of this, if you streak around pelvic thrusting giant sewer alligators to death, you'll net pretty substantial experience gains compared to actually being sane and putting on clothes.

That said, even with that it's largely an early/mid game thing, even in GH1. After a while (when you start getting millions per mission) there's just not really any way you can match the efficiency of cash training with XP. When that starts happening, your PV (and XP points, really) becomes largely irrelevant so far as character progression goes.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2017, 07:33:00 pm »

What do Heavy Actuators and Overchargers actually *do*? I am trying to assemble the finest murder-y Savin I have ever built, but I'm not sure if either of them is actually worth installing over more arc thrusters.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2017, 08:48:09 pm »

Heavy actuators increase Walk/Run speed and melee damage; also lessens the effect of weight on MV/TR. Overchargers greatly increases a mecha's speed in any mode, but only when going full speed. Later updates may have added a small bonus in cruise speed.

In previous builds, you could do insane amounts of melee damage with HA's, I had a SF1 Mecha that could 1-shot Zeta Daums and was near impossible to hit (due to being SF1). Later updates added a cap, but it's still fairly strong.

In my experience, the increased PV/weight wasn't worth the minor bonuses, but I always run generally light, dodge-y builds so YMMV.

Overchargers, on the other hand, are a great addition to most mechas. The speed increase is significant. And IIRC they're cheaper PV-wise than other components. The downside is that they have higher CMX values over their regular counterparts.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:54:43 pm by Blaze »

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:09 pm »

Heavy actuators increase Walk/Run speed and melee damage; also lessens the effect of weight on MV/TR. Overchargers greatly increases a mecha's speed in any mode, but only when going full speed. Later updates may have added a small bonus in cruise speed.

In previous builds, you could do insane amounts of melee damage with HA's, I had a SF1 Mecha that could 1-shot Zeta Daums and was near impossible to hit (due to being SF1). Later updates added a cap, but it's still fairly strong.

In my experience, the increased PV/weight wasn't worth the minor bonuses, but I always run generally light, dodge-y builds so YMMV.

Overchargers, on the other hand, are a great addition to most mechas. The speed increase is significant. And IIRC they're cheaper PV-wise than other components. The downside is that they have higher CMX values over their regular counterparts.

Mmhm. Since I only really play GH2, no SF1 for me.

Unrelatedly, my woes in hunting the perfect Reaver Railgun continue. Come on, game, give me enemy Aces that have mechs with railguns :( I need one that's <5.0t

edit: Bloody hell, what are the prereqs for the Innovation talent.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:46:12 pm by Cornuthaum »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19