Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 41712 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2017, 12:31:25 am »

GH1 I think one of the corporations has an underground mech arena. In GH2 there is one in that spinner where there was an accident and it's rebuilding, Tohru I think.

I thought there was a mech arena there, but I forgot the name!

Cornuthaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:37 am »

Notes for posterity so others don't have to search for it (and so I can reference it in 2-3 years when I'm doing my next playthrough)

Arenas are:

Theles Spinner: SF:0 arena, Gladiator pit, in the Boom Club
Maquise Spinner: Privateer Club, space battle, Mullins
Cayley Rock: Steelworks Arena, open air planetary, Peters
Gaos Spinner upper floor: Valhalla Arena, open air planetary, Hilda
Yatate Spinner: Aurora Nights, underground tunnels arena

Theles and Yatate have randomly generated npc arena managers, the others three are afaik static

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2017, 09:38:23 pm »

I'm curious, in gearhead 2, does the tech vulture trait work in arena mode?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:42 pm »

I'm curious, in gearhead 2, does the tech vulture trait work in arena mode?

Yes, but it might require picking up the parts from the battlefield (unsure if the game autodumps the parts in team inventory).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2017, 11:05:54 pm »

Like 90% sure it works, but yes, you have to pick the stuff up yourself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2017, 07:02:55 am »

So I played around with it a bit, tech vulture in arena automaticly gives you the random parts at the end of each mission as well as an increased chance of getting the mech itself, unless its the repair skill that does that. The trait also appears to stack to the point where I seem to be recovering every mech I fight by having 5 characters with tech vulture ontop of getting random parts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2017, 03:38:56 pm »

Good to hear, heh. Pretty sure it's repair that does the mech recovering more than vulture, though, yeah. Some skill or another has a fairly direct effect on it, anyway. Few other things influence that as well, iirc, so it's conceptually possible something else you're doing in the fights is upping the chance of recovery on top of the skill et al.
Ask not!
Ask!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2017, 03:58:50 pm »

This was comparing 5 characters all with tech vulture with 5 characters with other skills. Other things I've noted while playing around with arena mode is conversation skill increases the number of missions offered and shopping helps with the prices of mechs. Only the character with the highest skill gets used but at the same time they need to go into combat to increase the skill more.

On another note the Chrina Skull is a bit insane of a mech with how cheap it is. 230k base price, -5 manuvering on a flier and a turret with a laser cannon. The main issue is it is a Chrina mech which means the only way to get them is through salvage in the campaign...that I've seen anyways.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:00:23 pm by etgfrog »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »

This was comparing 5 characters all with tech vulture with 5 characters with other skills. Other things I've noted while playing around with arena mode is conversation skill increases the number of missions offered and shopping helps with the prices of mechs. Only the character with the highest skill gets used but at the same time they need to go into combat to increase the skill more.

On another note the Chrina Skull is a bit insane of a mech with how cheap it is. 230k base price, -5 manuvering on a flier and a turret with a laser cannon. The main issue is it is a Chrina mech which means the only way to get them is through salvage in the campaign...that I've seen anyways.
Yes, those skulls were always a great find, if only to rip the turrets out and add them to something else. However, the great part was IIRC they were a hover fighter, not a aerofighter. The only thing I ever wanted was the ability to change an aerofighters altitude. But I can see why that would be hard to balance.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2020, 02:14:28 pm »

As long as there's a new Gearhead on the way, I picked up GH2 from itch.io.

Reading through this thread, my GH1 plan of "win mech fights until they get difficult, then lose normal fights until your rep drops a few rungs" isn't as viable, because you can actually die. The purpose of that loop was that losing a mech fight loses you any mechs you have, and losing a normal fight loses you very little (probably I was naked, so...). Also, you ended up getting impossible missions very quickly if you always won.

It sounds like GH2 is less swingy, which is probably good. Any other early-game advice?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2020, 02:26:40 pm »

Iirc, an easy way to lose missions without, y'know, risk, is to just... leave. Immediately turn around and ditch off the edge of the screen. Want to say that's harder in space missions, but not impossible? It's been a looong time since I played GH2.

That said, mecha wise early game rocket hammers are probably one of your better friends, if I'm remembering right -- ammoless, high damage, not great range but existent (i.e. not a complete pain to use in space fights), they can get you off the ground pretty well.

Money wise, my memory wants to say fungal extermination is like super good payout? Kinda' dangerous, but good money, not quite GH1 sewer missions, but close. Can be helpful to chase those around if you find yourself out of mecha or needing a quick cash infusion. They're personal scale, though, so ignoring your SF:0 for mecha stuff isn't necessarily the best idea.

That's all I can really remember off the top of my head, tho'. It's been a good long while since I played.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2020, 05:58:29 pm »

Thank you for the help. How do I reload a shotgun? I can't find ammunition.

Edit: Oh, I just leave the dungeon and go to any store. Fair enough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:10:11 pm by Iduno »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2020, 10:11:50 pm »

Also been a long long time since GH2, but from my memory... if your mech combat skills are a tad low, try to avoid missions that take you into space combat early on. (Which isn't easy... I think which spindle you're on makes it more/less likely?) Enemies love to zoom around in space, which leads to neither side having much of a chance to hit the broad side of a barn if everyone is not terribly skilled while in low-end mechs.

Relatedly, try to avoid tank/spider mechs in general as they're pretty crummy in space combat.

If I recall, I ultimately preferred GH1 mainly over the lack of space combat...

If you're doing SF0 combat, robotics can make you some nice mooks. (Getting a good enough robot to help you in mech combat requires high skill and a lot of luck.)

Also just giving a heads up (now that the thread is revived) that GH Caramel updated again today. I played the prior version and I'd argue the game is still very early along, though, so maybe stick to GH1 and GH2 for now.

Does anyone know if the various mods for GH1 & 2 are still extant on the web? My modded GH1 is still safe & sound in my hard drive, but I seem to have lost my GH2 install at some point over the last few HDD failures and computer switches. I recall there being some rather significant GH2 mods on the GH forums back in the day, but those were invaded by bots and eventually nuked.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2020, 10:50:43 pm »

Dunno... might try looking at the links on the wiki, something in the archived forum or the discussion group might be still accessible. Can't recall anything offhand, tho'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2020, 11:45:47 pm »

I checked the archived forum, but the community GH2 pack there seems to have not been saved. Other sniffing around hasn't panned out (so far). Thanks anyways.

Did manage to find an old shortcut in my own drive which seems to have linked to an external drive that is currently far away but not entirely unreachable. So I may be able to get access to it in a few months, which is something.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19