Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Gearhead RPG questions thread!  (Read 41716 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead RPG questions thread!
« Reply #270 on: May 28, 2020, 10:19:47 am »

Please do!  I remember your custom GH2 designs, they were awesome!

Hah, I think you may be confusing me for someone else. Though my memory's bad enough that maybe I just forget sharing some of what I did.

Also, kudos for the new design. Always nice to get some further variety.

Y'know, I remember making that, but I completely forget what it does. I'm guessing a high tier computer for making sentient robot allies, but... don't remember, ha.

Speaking of remembering GH2 modding - basically, yeah. If I'm remembering right, without it in order to get a sentient AI ally you had to get ahold of and then slap a boatload of computers together and hope for the best.

Okay, thanks to date modified figures and whatnot I think I sussed out what bits were modded/added, and have packaged those up here: http://www.filedropper.com/gh2bits

As a reminder, almost all of this is not mine; wish I remembered who all to give credit to.

In theory you can just drop that into a GH2 install and it'll be good to go. I did a quick test with a fresh GH2 install and seemed to work fine, though I only did a brief whirl (so far).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2022, 04:28:03 pm »

Gearhead 3 has been released (although it's still in development), and allows you to import characters from the original (Arena).

https://gearhead.itch.io/gearhead-caramel

The dev also has a link to the current version's github down in the comments, which can work as a demo.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:51 pm »

I kinda need to know what they did with Robotics before I import my GH1 character...

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2022, 11:09:19 pm »

I must say I loved GH1's tile and portrait style a bit better. The newer ones in GH2 and Caramel looked a bit...unkempt and stapled, though I suppose those depended more upon volunteer labour.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2022, 11:23:47 pm »

I kinda need to know what they did with Robotics before I import my GH1 character...

Right? Is my robot made of superglue and chainsaws going to be afforded the respect and dignity it deserves?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2022, 12:01:29 am »

Right? Is my robot made of superglue and chainsaws going to be afforded the respect and dignity it deserves?

I think they ripped out Robotics entirely in Caramel.  :'(

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2022, 05:48:35 pm »

For now.

It looks like it's on the roadmap to come back.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2022, 03:33:24 pm »

For now.

It looks like it's on the roadmap to come back.
It better!  >:(

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »

Yeah, for a few versions of Caramel I've been tempted to put a post here announcing the grand return, but honestly not quite sure it's ready for a full run yet. Still, good the fellow is back on the dev horse and nice to see progress.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2022, 05:33:43 pm »

You guys should really join GH's discord server. It's the best place to get infos and a bit more straight from the source, Joseph Hewitt is very present, and the place feels very lonely considered the giant that is gearhead.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2022, 05:37:43 pm »

Yeah, for a few versions of Caramel I've been tempted to put a post here announcing the grand return, but honestly not quite sure it's ready for a full run yet. Still, good the fellow is back on the dev horse and nice to see progress.

Sure, but it's as good a time as any to figure out how to play Gearhead again.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2022, 06:36:32 pm »

Gearhead 3 has been released (although it's still in development), and allows you to import characters from the original (Arena).

https://gearhead.itch.io/gearhead-caramel

The dev also has a link to the current version's github down in the comments, which can work as a demo.

I had no idea Gearhead 2 was complete, and now you tell me Gearhead 3 is out?

Gearhead 1 was so good.  I'm surprised there hasn't been any other mech-themed roguelikes aside from Gearhead.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2022, 07:59:05 pm »

There's been attempts -- Cogmind has a thread right here on B12, ferex, and from everything I've seen of it, it's pretty good. Bionic Dues (done by the AI War dev) is also around and nice for what it is. Pretty sure there's a handful of others, too, but it (sci-fi roguelikes in general, really) is definitely pretty slim pickings numbers wise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2022, 06:41:24 pm »

Very old but there is also BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks Inception, wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration for GearHead
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]