Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should a new Quest be generated every time a new embark is built? Tie results in a "no".

Yes - all those "open quests" would make the game more fun
No - Just when a Player's relic lands on one of the six Islands of Questing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarfopoly (40.24) - Waiting for Temple update  (Read 41838 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfopoly
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 05:59:29 am »

Wait how can you get a 2 in Result if you roll 3 dices?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 06:06:58 am »

Wait how can you get a 2 in Result if you roll 3 dices?

Good catch!  The quest list should start at "3" and go to "18".  I'll fix that right away.  (In my defense, most of this was written, drawn and mapped in a straight 48 hour period with about six total hours of sleep.  It's my version of an "artifact".)

Ok, that's been fixed (and added to), thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:19:09 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 03:00:54 pm »

Posting to watch, I might ask for a turn later if I expect to have time to play. (And understand the game a bit better)
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

Timeless, why don't you start and show us how it's done.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:28 pm »

OK, I can do that.  I just didn't want to set up an unfair advantage by both hosting the game AND getting first turn.  Fair play and all that.

OK, so for the first turn, I'll be planting my fortress on the Island of the Mountainhomes.  Here I'll set up farms and various other needful areas, as one would do in a regular game of dwarf fortress, using the maximum embark points allowed in the most efficient manner I can devise (just like usual).  I'll probably set up a nice well and an eating hall, some farms, dormitories for the single chaps and bedrooms for the married ones.  Eventually there'll be distilleries and kitchens, a butcher/tanner/leatherworker and a smithy for any ores I may find - the point of this fortress is to:

A) Continue the everyday rather boring dwarfy lifestyle until suddenly, one makes an artifact.  (This event becomes the seed of the new religion.)

B) Store that artifact in a Bin for its own protection (There's a bug that makes it so artifacts randomly teleport back to the place they were made if an adventurer tries to take them.  However, Bins containing that artifact are exempt from the bug, and while the artifact cannot be removed from the bin in adventure mode, 'L'ooking at the Bin will show that the artifact is still inside.  It reminds me a bit like the box that contained the Arc of the Covenant, in the first Indiana Jones movie.)

C) Use Dfusion to change one of your dwarves into an adventurer (presumably you'll pick the one with the best stats for surviving "adventurer mode", but maybe you'll choose the one with the highest "praying" skill or something - it's your religion, after all.)

D) "Retire" the fortress using the process listed under "retiring" the fortress.  Something you may not know, is that when you use DFhack to change the site into a "lair" (by just typing "lair" into the command prompt), all the items will remain precisely where they were when you had them in Fortress mode.  Coming back and exploring the site in adventurer mode, you'll never come across the godawful random scatter of goods and skeletons and such that you would in a regular DF game.  This allows weapon stockpiles and stuff in the treasure rooms to Stay Where You Left Them! (Which is quite nice.)  Also, by using the "mode set" command and change to adventurer mode, then everybody else who was still at that site become "villagers" there, able to interact with adventurers just like if they were living in that little hamlet since the world was generated.  You'll hear stories about the area, and they'll send you on kill quests to hunt down named beasts or invaders who troubled the fortress, which is also quite nice.  Essentially, it's a way to get some of the "DF2014 experience" right now.

Anyway, I'll start up the fortress, post plenty of screen-shots and describe IN DETAIL and with screenshots everything I do to set up the playing piece.

I'll be adding to this post as I complete various stages.

More to follow:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:03:56 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »

OK, I can do that.  I just didn't want to set up an unfair advantage by both hosting the game AND getting first turn.  Fair play and all that.

Fair enough, but I think that a lot of us (read: me) would like an example of how to play in addition to the rules.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »

You could revert the save after your turn or just not count it in the competition. Either way, a demonstration of the game would be pretty helpful (and probably fun, considering your talent at such things).
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 07:04:00 am »

If you're gonna use artifacts why not adventurify the dwarf who made it?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 06:56:33 am »

Solymir: excellent idea!

I've been messing around with this and finally figured out why none of the civs were showing up in adventure mode:  When I changed to the upgraded version of Masterwork, I forgot to change all the civs to live in "cities" instead of mountain halls or forest retreats, detailed caves, ect... all the place-holders for DF2014 to fill.  So I've quickly gone in there and changed those to what they need to be, then used the same seeds to generate an (almost) exact copy of what we had.  Geographically, and biome-wise we're exactly the same, but the frog-men pirates were having a hard time actually building something on Pirate Island, so right now that big town you see there is mostly in the water (which sounds cooler than it actually is - beaches and water just don't allow buildings to exist.)  There's a single hut filled with all the nobility and a dirt path leading to the shore.  However, that means that the rest of Pirate Island is ripe for being built upon when someone gets kidnapped.  I'll get the first Portal ready before sending the file out.

I'm going to say that the Megapult uses the northwest and southwest towers of the castle in the Queen's capitol city - there won't actually be anything there, but if you want to go visit it in adventurer mode, just imagine a series of really tight cords criss-crossing that side above the wall, using those towers as the two "fingers" of a really big slingshot.  I may go and build something there anyway, just to give it the proper profile, but for now it's in "lets pretend" land.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because every dwarf should know the big names and big events in their own history, I'll also be doing some Legends Mode work and posting a "good parts" version of the last hundred years for the Dwarf civ on the island we're starting on.  Stuff about the nobles and clergy,  monster rampages and military actions, suspected vampires and despised races - you know, pretty much anything that's "common knowledge".

I hear ya, guys - so I'm gonna do a visual "how to" and post it with the rules.  I might leech into February doing this, but I won't drop off the boards suddenly.  We WILL eventually get this game going and most everybody on the same page!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:09:39 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »

I would try this if not for 1: I'm too busy and 2: I've never played Masterwork.
Looks fun to watch, though.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Part 1 of the "Visual Guide"
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 06:19:44 am »

Welcome to the visual guide on how to play Dwarfopoly!  Here you will be shown a sample game between three fictional players so that you can see how things progress.  Let me introduce our sample players:
Hi! I'm Bob. (No relation to Timeless, lol!)
9thGate. Yo.
I'm Alexis.  Hi guys

Ok, so Bob, Alexis and 9thGate, you guys need to set up your initial pieces.  Who wants to go first? I can do that.  It's just a regular fort on the "The Mountainhomes" island right?  Yes, Alexis.  You just play a regular game until someone makes an artifact.  You put that artifact in a bin, then retire the fortress. Ok!  Here I go...

Alexis' Mountainhome:
   First I'll click on the Masterwork icon that pulls up the "settings" screen.  No need to fiddle with that much, since all the game settings are already set up in the save-game file.  Oops!  I almost forgot! I need to go download the latest game file first!

Step 1: Download the latest game file (located in the "Turn List" tab.)
   OK, so that's done... "region 1" huh? (Not very imaginative, Timeless!) True.

Step 2: "Unpack" the save file and move it to the "Save" folder
OK, NOW I'll click on the Masterwork icon and get the game going already...

Step 3: Start the game

Step 4: Pick your site

Step 5: Build/excavate your fortress

Step 6: Play the fortress until some dwarf makes an artifact

Step 7: Put the artifact in a bin and build a monastery

Step 8: Turn the artifact maker into an adventurer and retire the site as a village/town.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:23:12 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:35 pm »

Great guide! Can't wait for the actual game to get started.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »

Sorry, life got unexpectedly busy again, I'll get this guide finished up this week.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:31 am »

post to watch...
What happens if the artifact is a bin?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:33 am »

then, you could have the unique opportunity to collect all dem other artifacts \(°^°)/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9