Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74

Author Topic: FUCK YOU, DAD!: Not grading on a curve.  (Read 127971 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
FUCK YOU, DAD!: Not grading on a curve.
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »

YOUR CHILD HAS JUST BEEN BORN!
ITS GOT SHIT STATS! EVERYTHING IS ZERO! WHAT HELL!
YOU'VE GOT 16 YEARS TO TURN THIS BABY INTO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!
HOPEFULLY WITHOUT IT TRYING TO KILL YOU THIS TIME!
GO
!

Yes thats right. It's time to attempt to mold your offspring into something you'd be proud to call the spawn of your indeterminate sexual organs. But how do I do this, you ask, for you are ignorant and helpless. By raising its stats of course! Haven't you been paying attention in RPGS? Thats How it works!

STATS

Dappertude: The stat controlling how fashionable, Charismatic and prom ready your child is. Things like dance lessons, beauty pageants, and etiquette lessons raise this.

Cynicismish: The stat controlling how pragmatic, careful and commonsensical your child is.This like reading, explaining how there is no Santa or Easter bunny, or being forced to defuse bombs raise this.

Businessness: The stat controlling briefcase wielding, tie wearing and the cubical compatibility of the child. Things like tie tying tutorials, synergistic management solution seminars, part time jobs and sacrificing to the dark gods of business raises this.

Determinational: The stat controlling your child's ability to continue doing things it absolutely despises doing out of some misguided attempt at perseverance. Doing things it doesn't like raises this.

Survivalous: The stat controlling the street smarts of your child, used to avoid being kidnapped,    mugged, or buying a timeshare. Leaving your child alone in a dark alley in the middle of the city and telling him to find his way home, getting her addicted to meth    and then throwing her into an Amish community and making him watch the shopping network and punching him in the head every time he reaches for the phone raise this.

Sporties: The stat controlling how good your child is at activities like Handegg, Trust fund stick, and Preppy Paddle, as well as other sports. Making him do sports raises this.

Schooliouses: The stat controlling how well your child does on standardized testing, scores on report cards and other school activities. Making her do summer school, memorize    12000 digits of pi, and write an essay on the cultural implications of the overuse of the word “Ichor” raise this. 

ACTIVITIES

Ok, I raise stats to make my baby not shit. But how do I raise stats? By making that child do activities, of course. Activities can be literally anything that could raise those stats. Make em up and be creative or your offspring might decide to shoot you in the kneecap while you sleep. Some things will cost money, and some things will cost more money then others. This is the money chart:

Lodes a' money
Fist fulls of dosh
Benjammings
Wallet stuffing
Pocket monies
Some Dollars
Bitta change
Borked     

Right now you've got Wallet stuffing. You're aggressively middle class. Your money changes once a year. Try not to fuck things up and end up borked or your kid might turn into a tree stump.

THE CATCH!

There are also bad stats! You don't know what they are or how to increase them! The more they increase, the more aberrant your child will act! THERES NO WAY TO REDUCE THEM!  SOME OF THEM COMPOUND ON THEMSELVES! AHHHHHHHH! There are certain activities that your child hates! YOU DON'T KNOW THOSE EITHER! AHHHHHHHHH!

How to play the game!
You raise the stats with activities.  You can do up to 5 activities a year. You don't have to do that many though, if you don't want to.
We're doing this as a community game so anyone can put forth an activity they want the kid to do and the one that gets the most agreements with it gets done.
Once you think it's time to move on to the next year, you say to do so and if it gets the most agreements, then we move on a year. If not, it will automatically move on after 5 activities are done.
At the end of the 16 years, your child will be let go into the world and then will be observed and assessed based on their performance.
There are lots of potential dice rolls happening in the background. You don't get to see any of them. KIDS ARE A BLACK BOX!

GETTING STARTED!
WE NEED A NAME FOR THE KID AND A GENDER FOR THE SAKE OF PRONOUNS

YOU CAN DESCRIBE THEM IF YOU WANT, I DON'T REALLY CARE. I'M JUST HERE TO SHATTER THE IDEA THAT YOU MIGHT BE A GOOD PARENT EVENTUALLY.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:10:50 am by piecewise »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: FUCK YOU, DAD!: The Game of Strategic Parenting.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:31 pm »

OUR CHILD IS ACTUALLY A FRESHLY MADE AI. WE DON'T KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED. WE CAN'T EVEN OPERATE A PRINTER.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:27:46 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »

Is this multiplayer or suggestion? If the former I'm going to enter and try to raise my kid more or less like a decent human being; if the latter, I'm going to pretend this thread doesn't exist.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:25:05 pm »

Name it Blake Boxe, just to emphasize that it's a black box!
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »

Is this multiplayer or suggestion? If the former I'm going to enter and try to raise my kid more or less like a decent human being; if the latter, I'm going to pretend this thread doesn't exist.

SUGGESTION. For now at least. Mostly because I don't feel like keeping track of 10 broken children at a time.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:29:56 pm »

Our kid's name is Coral, possibly because we're a hippy or something. She's a thin, waifish baby with pink hair, possibly because we got it on with a crayon or something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

Okay. Bye.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »

OUR CHILD IS ACTUALLY A FRESHLY MADE AI. WE DON'T KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED. WE CAN'T EVEN OPERATE A PRINTER.
+1. It's name shall be F4ER21
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »

Our kid's name is Coral, possibly because we're a hippy or something. She's a thin, waifish baby with pink hair, possibly because we got it on with a crayon or something.

Far out, maan.

...Oh, and yeah, +1.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »

We need either a horrible pun name, or a reference to modern pop culture that our child is completely certain to love.

I can't think of anything. +1 to Blake Boxe.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »

Name Joan for bonus Destiny.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 06:46:37 pm »

Far out, maan.
...Oh, and yeah, +1.
+ 1 for hippie parenting

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »

Ptw

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 07:04:12 pm »

+1 to AI

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

Okay. Bye.

NAME THE CHILD GWG IN POST-MORTUM HONOR.

R.I.P. GREATWYRMGOLD

2006-2014
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74