Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<  (Read 50515 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 09:02:37 am »

Doom ? Is that one of those Wolfenstein clone ? :)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:20 am »

The entire videogame market has been living off copying itself since the PS3 and the 360, and it has spilled onto the PC as well. There are a lot of quality and innovative games, but you have to search hard for them. Especially in the strategy and RPG department (which, for the most part, are the games worth playing). This isn't the 90's anymore.

Then again, the nineties were made of Doom-clones and ripoffs of that one dnd dungeon crawler they had, so it's not like anything has actually changed. Even the more memorable games like the Origin and Epic stuff was mostly iterative, they just happened to be some of the better ones to do what they did.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:32 am »

Drunk so will chime in.  There's nothing wrong with copying or refracting art through ones own mind, that's what most art is based on.  What's key is the mind that makes it, and the games industry is quite unlike any other art form I can think of in that publishers have been quite successful in hiding who makes games from the majority of customers, so they are able to perpetuate myths about dev teams and so on.

There's no reason in particular why a DF clone should be bad, but it is more than likely that anyone with a talent for mAking games would first recognize the improbability of surpassing DF and secondly would rather make their own creation.

So on topic, any game that even remotely seems like a DF clone I steer well clear of because it's quite probable that whoever made it is lacking the imagination to make an exciting game.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 11:12:29 am »

Wolfenstein? You mean Catacomb 3-D clone? -go further back than that, I dare you!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:54:44 pm »

Maybe, but by that time Dwarf Fortress will be 12 years ahead. :P
Urist's Paradox. Even a fully funded dev team would never catch up with Toady.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »

Maybe, but by that time Dwarf Fortress will be 12 years ahead. :P
Urist's Paradox. Even a fully funded dev team would never catch up with Toady.
Exactly, because they would first have to get to where he was, but by then he would be father along, and then they'd get to where he was again, but he'd still have moved a bit, and then they'd have to catch up again...

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »

"There is nothing new under the sun" as they say.
Everything copies it predecessors in one way or another.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:12:37 am »

Wolfenstein? You mean Catacomb 3-D clone? -go further back than that, I dare you!

Catacomb 3-D ? You mean....this thing like... "Pong" ?

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 03:37:55 am »

I present to you: Hovertank 3D.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 05:35:06 am »

Catacomb 3-D? That Hovertank 3D clone? PFFFT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7juV9zo5Tk

This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 06:24:19 am »

3D Monster Maze - released in 1982 for the Sinclair ZX81. It was written in BASIC and appears to use ASCII graphics to simulate a 3D maze with a Tyrannosaurus Rex in it that you have to escape from.

While you could argue that on-screen ASCII graphics aren't 3D so much as it is a 2D picture that makes use of perspective to represent 3D, later "3D" games like Wolfenstein and Doom still used perspective to represent 3D as well (in development, they were called "pseudo-3D"). I don't think it was until we got 64-bit processing like we see in the Nintendo 64 that real 3D graphics with 3D wire frame models and 3D geometry came into common use in games. There might be an exception, though. However I would love to see it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 10:32:17 am »

64-bit has nothing to do with it, since the PS1 was 32-bit, not to mention that the SNES had at least one fully-3D game.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 10:56:07 am »

Oops you're correct. Star Fox had real 3D polygonal graphics. I even owned an SNES and played that, but didn't think of it.

However there still weren't many 32-bit full 3D games.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 11:07:03 am »

Every 3D Playstation game, Every 3D PC game released in the last 16 years or so, every 3D Xbox game, every 3D Xbox 360 game.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »

However there still weren't many 32-bit full 3D games.
The PS1 - PS2 and the first gen Xbox were all 32 bit. 64 bit didn't become popular for a while. In fact, most games are compiled for both 32 bit and 64 bit computers. 32 vs 64 bit has very little to do here, for most purposes 32 bit long registers are perfectly fine.

Now I think you may be hard pressed to find many 3D games built on 16 bit hardware, although I'm sure there was at least one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6