Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<  (Read 50514 times)

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »

The PS1 - PS2 and the first gen Xbox were all 32 bit. 64 bit didn't become popular for a while. In fact, most games are compiled for both 32 bit and 64 bit computers. 32 vs 64 bit has very little to do here, for most purposes 32 bit long registers are perfectly fine.

Now I think you may be hard pressed to find many 3D games built on 16 bit hardware, although I'm sure there was at least one.
This. The "bits" on a console are mainly a bunch of bullshit numbers tossed around randomly for commercial reasons. The Genesis/Mega-Drive had a 16-bit processor which it was proud of, so the generation before that one became "8 bit" retroactively, and the next generation consoles called itselves 32/64 bits.

For the most part, this had little to do with the actual mapping system used by the processor.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 01:27:07 am »

At this point I honestly don't care.
You just can't make a game JUST like Dwarf Fortress. It's physically impossible to replicate DF's depth and complexity, I feel.

That said, I'm still hoping for the trueform sci-fi Dwarf Fortress...

That would be rimworld. 
Unlike dwarf fortress, you have to pay. :(.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 03:20:26 am »

Rimworld is cool. I will gladly pay for it when it is ready.

There are somegames in development inspired by DF that are trying their own thing, and that are looking good. Maia, Rimworld, Space Base DF-9, Clockwork Empires.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 08:54:27 am »

Yes, but the important question is: is it a DF-like?
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:33 am »

General rule:
If they say it's like x...it's not like x.
If they say it's like x meets y...it's not like x or y or it's like it's retarded inbred offspring.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:51 am »

Hey, there's this game that's just like DF! It's Call of Duty MW3!

But in all honesty, the most recent game in development that has some resemblance to DF is Clockwork empires but I have yet to see gameplay footage. No other game cuts it unfortunately. Not Rimworld, not Stonehearth (has a promising future but lacking the depth of DF), not Maia, etc.
Don't get me started with Gnomoria or Towns. Similar to DF but nothing like DF at the same time.

Then again, DF isn't complete as there are a lot of features I'm dying to experience but even without these features, find me one game with the same depth as DF.

To be honest, I don't find DF that complicated to pick-up and play on the spot. Controls are actually really logical and modding is fairly easy.

I find it a shame that mainstream gamers (from observation) are no longer buying into the strategy/simulation genre as much as before. I remember the good old days with Black&White, AoE, Civ3&4, TTW (not RomeII), etc.

It seems that even Sid Meier's have dumbed down their games in the recent Civ5. Such a disappointment.
Then Rome Total War 2. Oh my.
The new X-Com? Comedy Central should host a special episode for that game.
Iceburg entertainment's series (Endless for example). Really? I got bored within the first hour.
Majesty 2+expansions? (I know its old) Not really a kingdom simulator. Actually, not a kingdom simulator.
Fallen Enchantress? Meh. It's okay for a strategy game.

I wish the game industry would go back to being not profit-maximizing firms and focus on making good games. Although I dislike myself saying this but, even DF has a point of exhaustion (4+hrs/day for 1 year? Yes).

What happened to the simulation genre? City-building? Although the 'Truck Simulator', 'Mining and Tunneling Simulator', 'Train Simulator' are technically "simulators", I'm sick of seeing all these types of sims.

And when I search for 'sims' in Google, it gives me...."The Sims". *facepalm*.
Behold, "The Sims", the simulator that *everyone* has been waiting for! (No)
SimCity 2013 is more of a simulator than "The Sims".

The latest games that even seemed to pique my interest for more than 1 month was Paradox's "Crusader Kings II', 'Europa Universalis IV' and 'Distant Worlds' by Matrix Games. Meanwhile, I see trash fps games popping out like rabbit babies.

When is the next DF update anyways?

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:01 am »

Although Rimworld is in Alpha, Rimworld lacks Z-levels (and hence the exploration that comes with digging) that DF has.

Besides, according to the Dev Roadmap that Toady has, one day, we'll be able to send parties from our fortresses out into the world to make actual impact on the world (A feature I can't wait for).
And eventually economy (when it can be implemented correctly) which Rimworld doesn't really have a place for.
Also, the combat system isn't as complex as DF.

The resource system is also really limited as everything seems to be dependent on metal, food and money. Simple, yes, but also frustratingly lacking. But at the same time, adding additional resources into Rimworld seems unnecessary.

As of now, Rimworld seems like a twist of 'The Sims'.

And unlike DF, Rimworld lacks the interesting world generator and history as well as important head figures.

But, I'll save the final judgement when Rimworld's released.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 03:57:07 am »

Rimworld has a much more limited scope, but that's kind of a good thing since otherwise it wouldn't really be possible. It's still like DF, just not like ALL of DF.

I'm annoyed when games are introduced as "Dwarf Fortress with better graphics" because that always leads to disappointment.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:02 am »

It seems that even Sid Meier's have dumbed down their games in the recent Civ5. Such a disappointment.
I liked Civ 5 :(
At least, I preferred it to Civ 4's "the most economically stable empire will win because it can support more soldiers". In Civ 5, victory options other than Conquest are actually viable.

I'm annoyed when games are introduced as "Dwarf Fortress with better graphics" because that always leads to disappointment.
This. I steer clear of games that say they're like DF, simply because I'll go in expecting something like DF, and will be disappointed because it lacks the depth, or complexity, or the sheer number of menus. Or my processor doesn't overheat, or I don't have to press "k" constantly, or whatever. It's just not the same.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:35 am »

"k", or "q", "a", "t",

or "d"

Or any other, anyway.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to emulate certain qualities of DF. If the game isn't ASCII then there's no way they will be able to match its detail and complexity anyway. I frown slightly on blatant clones like Gnomoria but even then, I couldn't really care less.

The original Black and White was one of the first games I really fell in love with as a kid. Still play it from time to time.

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:13 am »

Maybe later this year (September perhaps)
Then again everyone said that last year
And the year before that
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

exdeathbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »

If your game's selling point is its similarity to another, it is doomed to failure because it will always be in the shadow of its predecessor.

Someone more important than me once said something to the effect of "don't imitate, innovate."  Those are words to live by.
I (regrettably) call bullshit on that one.

The gaming market is CRAWLING with shitty Half-Life/Halo clones. Go to any game shop, go to the unorganized big box with a hundred cheap semi-recent games scattered randomly inside. And there's not a single strategy game. Every single fucking game has screenshots on the back showing some hands holding a weapon. This (blasphemously) includes shooting games with words like "Commandos" or "XCOM" on the title. And the few RPG's are all canned casual-oriented Dragon Ages and Mass Effects, which are all like clones of each other. And of course, you'll find no strategy or tactical games, mind you.

The entire videogame market has been living off copying itself since the PS3 and the 360, and it has spilled onto the PC as well. There are a lot of quality and innovative games, but you have to search hard for them. Especially in the strategy and RPG department (which, for the most part, are the games worth playing). This isn't the 90's anymore.

Half-Life? Is that one of those Doom clones?

NOPE
unless you are talking about THIS doom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:06:42 am by exdeathbr »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »

Maybe later this year (September perhaps)
Then again everyone said that last year
And the year before that

Except that previous predictions being used to project current release dates makes no sense when we actually get regular development updates.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:30 am »

Lets be honest, we have ALL been through this..

It seems like every few months you will read an article along the lines of...
"If you liked Dwarf Fortress, you will LOVE this game!"
or
"This game! It's like Blank, meets Dwarf Fortress!"

And usually to say they are Underwhelming is an Over statement...
The other day my brother, who knows i am a Dwarf Fortress fantastic comes at me with Castle Story!
A game he SWEARS is JUST like Dwarf Fortress!
"Look, you control lots of little guys, and they BUILD things! And you have to defend your castle against monsters! It's TOTALLY like Dwarf Fortress!!"
  ::)

SO... How often do the rest of you have to deal with this?

It seems like this thread has gone way off-topic lol. But I get that sometimes, and the closest game I have found and liked is Gnomoria. He is doing a great job, though that game is 2D it is a major step up on the UI and graphics department. Obviously the depth is not there, but it is getting there slowly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6