Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<  (Read 50513 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: "You got to try this game, Its JUST like Dwarf Fortress!" >_<
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2014, 02:53:38 am »

I have seen Stonesense. I don't use it, funnily enough - I play DF using the default ASCII tileset.

It's cool for looking at big projects in more than two dimensions, but otherwise, I don't really care about it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:18 pm »

I play DF using the default ASCII tileset.

You monster.

Just kidding :D I just use Phoebus or Ironhand or whatever, and just seeing things like that is enough for me. Stonesense always makes my structures look a lot more stunted and unimpressive than I imagine.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:41 pm »

I actually learnt the game using a tileset - can't remember which - but since then I can't tell what anything is. Kind of backwards to the problem most people have...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »

I only use the default Tileset. For me, playing with a tileset is not really liking the game <--- this is elitist ^^

I like the fact that it is abstracted, because my imagination will always be stronger than a tileset.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »

I only use the default Tileset. For me, playing with a tileset is not really liking the game <--- this is elitist ^^

I like the fact that it is abstracted, because my imagination will always be stronger than a tileset.

I get the whole ascii-vs-tileset argument, but really, even a seasoned ascii-lover has to look at the tiles and go "Oh yeah I guess I can see why new players would prefer these now"

But, that said, the tileset has ruined my imagination of some things. For example, I remember all my statues as dwarves stranding there facing the camera (because that's what the tiles are) and giant cave spiders as kind of non-threatening brown lumps, and Voracious cave crawlers as SATANIC PURPLE LUMPS OF INFINITE TEETH. And all dogs are the same brown dog lol.

I'm not saying tilesets are better or worse, but I prefer them, and I wouldn't suggest the game to anyone without them (only because I live in a less intelligent part of Australia and everyone doesn't know how to read matrix)

But to be serious for a second. I think, out of all the things in this game, I hate cave crawlers the most.

I use the tilesets, and I consider Dwarf Fortress my favourite game ever and have put 4 or 5 digits worth of hours into the game, so the whole 'using the tilesets is not liking the game' is a bit of a silly statement.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »

I get the whole ascii-vs-tileset argument, but really, even a seasoned ascii-lover has to look at the tiles and go "Oh yeah I guess I can see why new players would prefer these now"

I've only experienced that with Spacefox, and only barely. Everything else looks like a mess. Why do they add noise???

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:09 am »

I use the tilesets, and I consider Dwarf Fortress my favourite game ever and have put 4 or 5 digits worth of hours into the game, so the whole 'using the tilesets is not liking the game' is a bit of a silly statement.

It was a joke, actually. I have nothing against tileset, I just don't want some - for now. I think some tileset are quite ok, actually.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2014, 01:24:24 pm »

But, that said, the tileset has ruined my imagination of some things. For example, I remember all my statues as dwarves stranding there facing the camera (because that's what the tiles are) and giant cave spiders as kind of non-threatening brown lumps, and Voracious cave crawlers as SATANIC PURPLE LUMPS OF INFINITE TEETH. And all dogs are the same brown dog lol.

I take issue on the vanilla ASCII-set. The onomatopoeic use of characters completely messes up my imagination. For example, I'd imagine the wells in my fortress to be square. But the use of 'o' ruins that. Also the ANSI-colors dwarf fortress uses to colorize things, a sacrilege, they go fully against the colors I'd imagine.

DF should only use numbers for everything, no onomatopoeics for anything! Or completely unrelated, unknown characters arranged as randomly as possible. It  should look like this, http://i.imgur.com/nebD0dd.gif preferably without that stylish green.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 05:05:34 pm »

DF should only use numbers for everything, no onomatopoeics for anything! Or completely unrelated, unknown characters arranged as randomly as possible. It  should look like this, http://i.imgur.com/nebD0dd.gif preferably without that stylish green.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60176.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]