Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Technobabble!  (Read 6220 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Roll to Technobabble!
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »

Roll to Technobabble is a simple game where you're a part of the starship's crew who attempts to survive the battles, disasters and catastrophes that await USS Fortune in da space.

Rules&Regulations:
1: Any action that requires a roll should include technobabble. The more sophisticated technobabble, the better. Enough technobabble might provide a bonus to your roll. For example, if you simply say repair the engines, you won't get a bonus, but if you say that you're attempting to re-modulate the omicron matrix to reset the plasma furnace, you might get +1 to your roll.
You can perform only one technobabble per turn. Roleplaying and emotional bonding is welcome but not needed; after all, the game will focus on distress situations, so instead of dreaming about your crush you might want to fix engines instead.
2: The cast of players requires a Commanding Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Tactical Officer, Science Chief and Chief Engineer. Each of these is specialized in their field of spaceship operations, and trying to do something outside their field (for example, Chief Medical Officer trying to repair a laser turret) will incur a -2 penalty to the roll.
Commanding Officer is a special one; they have -1 penalty to all rolls on their own. However, if Commanding Officer works with another player, said player gets +1 to their rolls. You can think of CO as the 'advisor' and dice bonus to the rest of the crew.
3: Each officer has 10 hitpoints in the way of Redshirts; a Redshirt dies if you roll a 1, be it natural or not. If you lose half of Redshirts, you get -1 to all rolls, and if you lose all Redshirts, the penalty increases to -2. The next failed roll you perform kills your character and quite possibly dooms the ship.
You ask where Commanding Officer's Redshirts are? Well, CO doesn't have any - he can only die along with USS Fortune. Of course, any officer that happens to be in main Area that gets destroyed dies instantly; there's no saving roll.
4: USS Fortune has 5 main Areas: Main Engineering, Sickbay, Science Lab, Bridge and Battlestations. Main Engineering gives Chief Engineer +1 to rolls, Sickbay +1 to Chief Medical Officer, Science Lab +1 to Science Chief, Battlestations +1 to Tactical Officer and finally, Bridge provides +1 bonus to Commanding Officer, effectively nullyfying CO's base penalty.
All these can be fully operational, damaged, moderately damaged, heavily damaged or destroyed. Each failed roll in a section will worsen its status and adds 1 to 6 problems that need to be fixed before section 'heals' one level; furthermore, moderately damaged incurs -1 penalty, and heavily damaged is -2.
Finally, Main Engineering holds the Warp Core, the main power source and device needed to space travel - if Main Engineering drops to heavily demaged then every turn there's a 20% chance for Warp Core Breach - if you do not fix it in 2 turns, the USS Fortune is destroyed. Of course, if the Main Engineering goes right down to destroyed, the warp core gets blasted as well, and so does entire USS Fortune~
5: Character creation is up to you; you are free to include your char's family history, medals and whatnots, but all I need is their name, rank, and age/gender.
6: Technobabble actions are to be bolded! This will greatly help me understand if you're just babbling or technicking repairs or something!
---

USS Fortune's List of brave (and just slightly foolish) Officers:

Commanding Officer: Cromwell Jackson (29/male) [mastahcheese]
Chief Medical Officer: Jim (29/male) [GUNINANRUNIN]
Tactical Officer: Nosten Nostovar (33/male) [Yoink]
Science Chief: Dermonster (20/male) [Dermonster]
Chief Engineer: Christer Anderson (33/male) [Dorsidwarf]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:22:33 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll the Technobabble!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »

SCIENCE CHIEF DERMONSTER REPORTING FOR DUTY!

ACCLIMATIZE THE NEUTRON COLLIDERS, WE'RE HEADING STRAIGHT INTO A GELLAR VORTEX!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:12:33 pm »

Name: Nosten Nostovar
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:29:44 pm »

Name: Jim

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:05:56 pm »

Name: Christer Anderson
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:50 pm »

Name: Cromwell Jackson
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

Let's get this show on the road!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »

Let's get this show on the road!
YES! Let's get this space vector transportation unit on the interstellar transit system!
The Derail Thread

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »

Episode 1: In the Eye of the Maelstorm

~~Turn 1~~

USS Fortune shook as yet another blast of the plasma cannon ravaged its shields and the energy wave smashed against the polyneutrionium hull. The people on the bridge barely managed to keep sitting in their chairs. The starship was really unprepared for a sneak attack, not to even mention one performed by a S'Vadar-class Battlehawk

@Commanding Officer:

To think that all this began because of slight navigational error and the fact that Cytorians never bothered to mark the ALS-2048c system as their territory...

But now that's the least of the problems. The officers will need guidance in this situation, and the Damage Report already listed minor damage in some areas; the Battlestations got badly hit.

@Science Chief:

Science Chief could notice that the part of the computer network, namely the shield control unit, was being probed - the Cytorian officers must be attempting to disrupt the shields.

@Tactical Officer:

At the Battlestations, the main tactical console beeped loudly - the Cytorian Warhawk just launched four plasma torpedoes that will deal tremendous damage to the ship's front sections if no evasive actions will be taken.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:17 pm »

"Troubling. Crewman! Pulse the hadron field and loop the feedback conduits! Deny them entry at all costs!"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:32:04 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »

Posting to watch
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »

"Get the Science Chief on the trans-distance communicator! I want a full diagnostic of their phase integrators!
Tell the Chief Engineer to realign their singularity beacons in the polar magnetic spectrum to disrupt the Cytorian particle emitters!
And tell the Tactical Officer I want full evasive maneuvers! Use the Highlian Thrust technique, mastered by Corporal Shenanigan in the ReVectiod Wars!"
Captain Jack barks orders to his Bridge workers!
"And where's my god-dang smoothie?"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:49:19 am by mastahcheese »
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

"You there! I need a spectromoscope in the hortaskew light spectrum! Stat! This organic lorfy meta storgris is crystallizing on the tempered alloy joint line! If we don't do something quick then it could penetrate the horizon of our animorphic reality layers and cause a catastrophic spunty-overload-meltdown-collapse-superdrive-event which will eventually lead to our sonic ultra epidermis to cease functioning at a comfortable range!"

Fire gibberish beams at random stuff in the sick bay in an effort to fix something the jammed surgery arm!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:33:18 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »

ptw

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:27 pm »

"Power the sidethrusters! Activate the free-borne equilibrium neutralizer, you lazy bastards! All gyro-pounders to full bore and get us the hell out of their tracking fields, now!"

Nosten Nostovar shouts into his comms speaker, veins throbbing noticeably on either side of his broad neck.
He gives his commands, grits his teeth, and wipes sweat from his close-cropped hair with the back of a hand. The burly Tactical Officer takes a sip of icy water as he scans his display screens, seemingly trying to glare them into submission.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4