Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: You own a gladiator school!- The first few steps!  (Read 4942 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: You own a gladiator school!- A new beginning!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »

Aye, we need guards, just not sure if the cost of upgrading the guard room is worth it just yet for basic guards.
I think stuff it, let's upgrade the slave holdings to stop the buggers from escaping.

Also Marahadja, why did you cut the "Speratus" from our younger bro's name? And Roman names are gendered, so our mother would be "Icilia", not "Icilius". I'm not insisting on proper historical accuracy or anything like that, just a FYI.

I don't think we have slaves though...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »

Aye, we need guards, just not sure if the cost of upgrading the guard room is worth it just yet for basic guards.
I think stuff it, let's upgrade the slave holdings to stop the buggers from escaping.

Also Marahadja, why did you cut the "Speratus" from our younger bro's name? And Roman names are gendered, so our mother would be "Icilia", not "Icilius". I'm not insisting on proper historical accuracy or anything like that, just a FYI.

I don't think we have slaves though...
Well, in addition to getting them, I mean. Basically this:
Yeah. We need guards, but new room for them? Not really.

As it goes, slaves, guards, slave holdings, brothers help. Also, add armory restock (small party of decent-quality weapons) to the mix.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 08:15:43 pm »

Mention in your letter to your younger brother that you would be interested in hiring an injured or retired military veteran as a trainer.

Also...

We need to have political connections, and we are not on our best terms with our older brother. Lets get closer to the In-Laws then. Write our mother, and see if she would be willing to arrange a gathering that includes Decima, Cato, and ourselves.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 09:07:02 pm »

+1
The reason I wanted a good training facility is to be able to actually train anyone. I figured you trained slaves since gladiators used to be slaves. Therefore just having slaves wouldn't be enough, you would need a place where you could train them. So what happens when you have strong slaves, you need armed guards to protect your goods.
I just thought all the buildings were insufficient and unusuable in their crude state, maybe I was mistaken.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:58 pm »

As it goes, slaves, guards, slave holdings, brothers help. Also, add armory restock (small party of decent-quality weapons) to the mix.
+1!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 01:29:00 am »

Mention in your letter to your younger brother that you would be interested in hiring an injured or retired military veteran as a trainer.
This. This is very clever. +1. In addition to the rest of the stiff we discussed.
So,slaves, guards, holdings, ask brother for veteran and delinquents. Also armory restock. Amirite?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:50 am »

+1
+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:51 am »

+1
+1

Add that we should find some gun weapons and a hiddable dagger also and yes. We must be armed at all times to fight off gangs and other gladiator schools who'd want to nip us in the bud.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 11:10:04 am »

Also how much magic can we actually use? I mean we're a novice but so far barbarian magic is most completely foreign so we have no scale with which to measure our ability.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 02:01:16 pm »

The first few steps....
slaves, guards, slave holdings, brothers help. Also, add armory restock (small party of decent-quality weapons) to the mix.

Well, there is no use sitting on the stairs and wasting a perfectly fine day. You make a final inspection of the armoury [3], and much to your surprise there is a few old training swords remaining. They are made out of wood, so obviously they are no use in real combat. That's the first stroke of luck you've had in a long time. But there is no use dwelling in the past, you consider your situation.  If you had the money, you would renovate the whole estate. Now you have to prioritise, after a brief consideration you decide that restoring the slave quarters is of utmost importance, to prevent your future slaves and gladiators from escaping. You can´t help to feel the irony that the slaves will have accommodation, if a lot smaller, than you. You remember speaking with a local Mason and Carpenter in your way here. After a brief negotiation about the price, the man and his apprentice agree to restore the Slave quarter to a fair price.[-++] It will be finished within a week. You also take the liberty to order some basic furniture to your own personal room. A cheap desk and a working desk which will be delivered tomorrow. Happy with the agreement you imminently proceed you proceed with your next task. You need to find some guards who are willing to guard your estate from inside and outside threats alike.

Moving towards the market of Narsis you begin to ask around after able-bodied guards. Its not hard to find tough men who searches for work, and after a few hours you have found several promising candidates. You imminently hire three guards to your estate. They are no trained soldiers, but they have their own swords and by the look of them they have had their fair share of brawls in their lives. However they refuse to live in the living quarters you so generously provide, and proclaim that they prefer to sleep and live at home. This means that you only have your guards available ten hours a day, its up to you how to design their schedule. You give them the directions for your estate, they will show up tomorrow morning ready for their assignments. Your new guard also direct you to the local smith, where you decide to restock the armoury with a few swords, shields and a spear or two. The smith will deliver it within a few days.

Its been a long day and your tired. But you have one task left before you can go home. You enter the market in search for a few promising slaves [2]. You can't tell if its to bad luck, that your tired or that you have no real idea what makes a promising slave, but you didn't find any superintending slaves. After hours of bartering you buy three slaves. Two of them,one male and one female are quite weak and  thin. But at-least they were cheap. The last one, a captured murderer sentenced to death seems stronger, after some consideration you decide to buy him anyway*, sometimes you need to takes some risks, even if that means having a murderer under your roof. The trader promises to deliver your slaves when you have repaired your quarters.

Finally you walk home to your estate. You light a small candle and decide to write a letter to Tertius. Asking if he has any friends willing to work for you as a gladiator trainer, and if he may send any promising gladiators your way. Your not hopeful though, your brothers never did anything for free, not even for family. It will take a while for your brother to respond though, probably five to seven weeks. After a long day you finally fall a sleep. A deep dreamless sleep and you don't wake up until the sun has risen over the horizon. You decide to spend the next week repeating your arcane knowledge. You have never been very good using the theory in practice, no native in the Eldar empire is. You can do some illusion tricks, hiding coins pens and other small items for a single human, even if its really visible within plain sight. If you concentrate deeply you might even be able to convey felling like fear, hope and happiness to a specific person for a short time. However, you have never tried to test the true limits of your powers. The barbarian magic is looked down upon among the nobles and low-born alike. And you haven't been able to train openly. But you think that you might be able to kill a person with touch only, if you are not disturbed and it has your full attention, however your not sure. You are much more competent theoretically. If you had a promising apprentice you think you could train him or her in the arcane arts.

The days goes fast  as you read though your old books. Your only disturbance is the men working to restore your slave quarters. Quickly a week has gone, your new slave quarter is finished, your armoury is restocked, you have guards standing bye and slaves due today. What will you do?

It´s now 29 of April!

*In the Eldar empire its customary for anyone to buy a human who have been sentenced to a crime, usually its rich relatives who buys them freedom. But its not uncommon for slave-traders to buy promising candidates as well.

Spoiler: Economy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gladiator school (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slaves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM to players! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:06:51 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You own a gladiator school!- The first few steps!
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »

Look for a trainer among retired soldiers we know. Pay somebody to hang up notices that a person with prior military experience, preferrably in the position of whatever the Elder empire has closest to sergeant, is wanted for work.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »

If the guards are not sleeping at the guard barracks, shouldn't they not count against its capacity?

First off, examine the slaves closely, and question them. We should aim to learn of any perks and issues they may have that are not apparent on the surface. It would be nice to know their names as well.

Next, we need to get basic training going. For this we should depend on our ex-death row murderer slave, for lack of a better option. Task him with leading the other two in basic cardio and strength training, and spar with him yourself regularly using the wooden swords. Offer him some preferential treatment and kindness for his assistance.

Also a priority is establishing an income stream. Spend some time in the rich neighborhoods and see if anybody would be willing to hire you to teach their children Gunpowder Knowledge, Reading, Or Writing.

Lastly, we need to start courting our little brother's favor. Start penning an account of his adventures at war that casts him in a positive light.

Guards should work in single 10 hour shifts. Make sure the shifts overlap and two guards are present when you are sparing with the ex-murderer.

Look for a trainer among retired soldiers we know. Pay somebody to hang up notices that a person with prior military experience, preferrably in the position of whatever the Elder empire has closest to sergeant, is wanted for work.

We don't need to waste money on a trainer when we only have one slave in anything close to fighting condition.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:07 pm »

I second Weirdsound for his actions.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »

True dat. Let's try this. Though "Hey ma'am, want me to teach your adorable kiddies how to make gunpowder?" is not the best business line. Hilarious, though.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 04:50:03 pm »

In Cuban Prison my dad told me each cell block has a Block head.

Block heads are prisoners themselves who the guards leave the enforcement too and they're usually ex-murderers. Maybe we can try to convince our murderer to keep our slaves in line for us? He'd get better food of course but it's just a thought.
Pages: 1 2 [3]