Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X-Life - browser based game (WIP)  (Read 958 times)

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
X-Life - browser based game (WIP)
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:29:43 pm »

So this is my first post and the reason why I am posting here is to get some feedback about my game.
The game is nowhere near finished currently and I am looking for opinions if this game even has any potential and if I should even continue developing it further or just cancel it.

Here is some basic information about the features: http://www.d7-x.com/game/about/

Recently I am having a shortage of motivation since noone is not really interested about this game and I havent advertised it much neither.

The vision is that you command your agents.. everything you do is behalf of your agents. You can mine resources build your base and craft items. You can fight others(PvP) or do diplomacy. Your agents belongs to a corporation that unites all your owned agents.
Agents can have specialties and can train their specialties to become better. You can move your agents around the game world which currently consists of 20 districts.

Not everything that was just described in this vision is in the game yet but some of it are.

Some of the in-game pictures can be seen here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/x-life

If the game has any potential I am also looking for feedback, suggestions and ideas to make it better.
I want the players to be able to influence the game development progress.

The game can be played already here: http://www.d7-x.com/game/ (Registration is needed to play)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:50:35 pm by De7ilx »

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: X-Life - browser based game
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:41 pm »

It's frowned upon to promote things with your first post. People tend to assume you're a bot. If you had made an account and participated in the forums at least a little bit, I'm sure more people would be willing to look at your game, instead of immediately dismissing it.

But from what I see here, you have a browser game that's incomplete, you have stated that you probably have no motivation or intent to improve or finish it, and the selling points you make about the game aren't even included yet.

You also have to register to play, and I'm sure not many people would exactly nourish the concept of registering for a vague, incomplete game advertised by a brand-spanking-new account on a forum. Not to mention that, but you clearly don't seem to express any interest in your own game- hell, you're asking other people to try and prove the game has potential for you. That doesn't exactly speak well for the longevity of the game.
I need to put something interesting here.

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
Re: X-Life - browser based game
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:13:59 am »

I can assure you I am not a bot.
And thanks for your honest words here. I appreciate it.

Maybe I didn't express my views here correctly.. My intention was not to come here and ask people to play my game.. I just laid out the possibility if there was enough interest.

Also I have interest in my game and I believe it has potential but what I am rather asking here is if the vision I mentioned in the idea level has a potential or not.

I probably wont be dismissing it even if I would receive negative feedback here..

Why I posted here is that I read this topic http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122216.0 about how he makes a game and gets motivation from the community that he has a goal to work on the game that someone is interested in it and is looking forward to it and I can see from his topic that it is working since he has been working on his game for about a year now and has a actual results to show aswell :)

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
Re: X-Life - browser based game (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »

Info update: So currently I have multiple things completed that are not yet available.
Basic bases code is completed and also the supporting base modules code is completed.
Also 2 of the base modules are completed. Those are storage and mining facility along with the mining node system what is part of the mining facility.

Next I will have to write code for the factory base module and blueprints system in order to be able to actually build things out of the things you mine. And then I will have to add some blueprints and items you could build. After this all what was mentioned in this post before this line is going to be released.

Also I have to rewrite some of the attacking system because currently you only can effectively attach same level players.
For example lvl 3 player never beats level 6 player and level 6 player pretty much insta kills the level 3 player. Will have to find a way to fix this and balance it further.

If there is interest I can write out the attacking system here and who ever reads this can offer suggestions for better attacking system.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »

I could have a look at it.

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »

Current attacking & leveling system.

I probably should write out the leveling system too because thats the part of the problem that attacking has.
To level you need XP. XP you get from successful attacks or successful defending.

There is 3 attributes currently that will be raised when leveling up and used in attacking.
They are: attack points, defence points and health points.
When you start new agent you get random first stats. They range from following:
Attack: 1-15 points
Defence: 5-15 points
Health: 8-25 points

When you level up you get new values randomly as described below:
Attack: Old value + (1-15 randomly) + current level.
For example old value is 25 you get new random value of 7 and your level is 2 then it makes:
25+7+2=34 as new attack points.
Defence: Old value + (5-15 randomly) + current level.
For example old value is 32 you get new random value of 17 and your level is 5 then it makes:
32+17+5=54 as new defence points.
Health: Old value + (8-25 randomly) + current level.
For example old value is 76 you get new random value of 38 and your level is 7 then it makes:
76+38+7=121 as new health points.

The problem here is that the higher the level becomes the crazier the numbers will be.
I will give the example after I have explained the attacking system.
Attack system:
When you attack you use your attack points against opponent defence points. For example you attack with attack points 200 and your opponent has defence points 180 then you make true damage 20 that will lower the health by 20. For example opponent health has 300 and 300-20=280 health remains. Also in same turn opponent attacks you back the same way. I also added a critical hit value that is randomized between the values 0-25 so it also can be 0 or maximum 25 when your lucky.

So the actual formula is: base attack+critical hit=your new attack points when attacking.

Now to the promised example of why it does not work out with current system:
For example both are lvl 10 agents. Agent A has attack 137,defence 285, health 459.
Agent B has attack 106, defence 301, health 492.
When Agent A attacks Agent B and lets say the critical hit is maximum 25 then:
attack 137+25=162 actual attack points. and defender has defence 301. Then attacker makes 0 true damage because he does not have enough attack points to go through the defender 301 defence points.
Same case with the Defencer B counter attack:
106 attack+25 critical hit(lets say he is also very lucky fellow)=131 actual attack points.
Defencer B attack 131 is not enough to go through Attacker A defence 285 so defender counter attack results also 0 true damage and even yet they both are lvl 10 they cant kill each others.

Now for example you can kill in low levels and only maybe 1 level higher you for example as lvl 1 cant do nothing to level 3 or higher.

Now with the example or level 3 and level 6 agents in my last post:
Level 6 has lets say attack 66, defence 72 and health 100.
And level 3 has attack 33, defence 36 and health 50.

Lets say Level 3 attacks level 6 agent: 33+critical 25= 58 true attack damage which does nothing to level 6 agent 72 defence points. Yet level 6 counter attack with 66+0=66 true damage will instantly kill level 3 agent with 36 defence points.

So the problem is big and probably the whole system has to be revamped to something better..
Also I plan not to set any cap to levels.

I am open to suggestions.

Just to inform:
This system I wrote here is hand to hand combat. When no weapons are present. Later on there will be possible to equip different weapons, armors etc on the agent that can be used in attacking and will modify the attack, defence and health points. This also has to fit in somehow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:03:11 pm by De7ilx »

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:13:23 am »

So this time Ill post some pictures:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As seen in the pictures the agent inventories is still needs to be created at some point and I had to create a blueprint selection system in order to use factories.
I came up with better idea for attacking system revamp.
I also plan to add role playing features in the game at later time when core features are created. I hope to get some help from here to create those role playing features..

De7ilx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • D7
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:55 pm »

So this is what I have been working on this week:

I wrote quite many new functions to allow dynamic features for the factory. It now shows the blueprint requirements and also takes the information from storage to show how much needed materials u have available.