Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Architect suggestion [blueprint building designs via paint by numbers]  (Read 1998 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this idea needs attention from DF players.

Originally Liamar had suggested a better design designation system. I wrote this in his post and would like a discussion on the idea either here or on his post. I believe it deserves some spotlight.

"I can see this being done in a separate menu maybe using a mouse painting system. After which you can set to place anywhere on the main map.

Dwarfs would then I would assume have to always start with floors then prioritize corner walls and fill each section of wall from the outside in; unless toady decides to make a system that builds it all at once with wait times suggestible by space consumed.  However, that eliminates a lot of what dwarf fortress is.

Another option would be to allow us the option of prioritizing the corners ourselves to avoid dwarven confusion (paint by numbers anyone?). This could also lead to a new noble that uses the architecture skill or at least a more advanced form of it. Depending on how Toady would prefer something like this to work. [edit: I am however fancying the paint by numbers/colors idea even if it uses the um kh system already in place. 1. it takes a huge workload off of toady to make everything dwarf operated with little user input using logic which will always be buggy because its not organic. 2. it would be a heluva lot of fun. 3. it would make a great architecture simulation program that may even be useful to the experienced architect for testing out design and build methods.]

Architecture could definitely be more user involved using say crafting materials to bring up such a menu and at an architects workbench/office."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:18:28 pm by tilly »

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Achetect suggestion [blueprint building designs via paint by numbers]
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »

I imagine being able to make a 10x10x2 house a little bit like this

ROOF

BOTTOM FLOOR
53333  3335

where numbers represent priority levels of tasks and the higher you designate the number the higher the priority.

in this example 5's are the corners of the bottom floor, 4's are the floors 3's are the walls, 2 is an upstair and 1 is a down stair. The zeros are the roof's flooring cover. This is one example of how this would work. Another way is to make the z-levels separate and that would allow the numbers to reset on each z-level. and only having an upstairs from a z-level below will make the +1 z-level possible as long as the down/upstairs connects right.. Thus making the tracking of 1000 different priorities relatively smaller.

that being said this may require a user input... something like parameters where you type in a tile types priority along with options to change them manually throughout the design using a ++ increment.

ROOF

Two level building 

A circular design Bottom Floor

where 2(as well as another stair marked as 1) is a stair on the first floor a one on the second level(updown) and roof has it as 2.  4s are the bottom levels floors as well as the second floors.  5s are the corners on the first level 3's on the second ,3's are the walls and on the second floor they are corners with 2 being the walls. and 1 is the roofs tiles because there isn't much of a fuss up there. Point is they all flow respectively and seperatly between z-levels From highest to lowest priorities, this works well with the system I have described and with a click of a button you will see the finished product as it would be shown ingame a "hide priority levels" option if you will.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:53:51 pm by tilly »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:47 pm »

Totally would go for something like this. Don't know how implementable it would be but.
Me I build lots and lots and LOTS of overground forts. (holes in the ground kinda bore me. I've even built "aboveground" styled castles in the caverns before, because well, I felt like it) The most annoying thing to me is the hours of designating walls, internal supports (which aren't needed, but make me feel better). And eventually the removal of said constructions to build a new upper floor.

I've been able to get past some of the problems by saving. Setting up an external macro. Testing it out like 6 times (and usually failing at the designations)and then eventually getting a new floor to my main fort, or designating a couple more huts for my farmers to live/work out of.

I'd like the see a system added (kinda like quickfort/chromafort) but part of the main game, and with the ability to try to specify materials (I like my forts uniform color). Doesn't really need to do anything other than constructions, since most of the time, though buildings will be shaped the same, or floors will, they end up with different design goals.

Could also have the game store some basic building designs, that players commonly use. Like a basic 2 floor archery tower, or a small 9x9 building, with an opening for a door like many newbies will build over their first downstair. Perhaps it could take the form of a "architect" noble who when they get their time in their office, they will take the time to make the mass designations for the different floors for you.
In the case that materials you demanded for a building aren't available, he'll pause the game and alert you. Perhaps also it would allow you to designate structures of a certain material, even if you don't currently have that material. Then as mats become available, he'll order workers to press on, similar to the current Manager noble. Then in the meantime, he can run around and build the bridges and furnaces like the current architect does.

Stored building designs BTW, are stored separately from the world in your folders, so one could send their preferred designs to a friend. Perhaps make it so the arena can pull a building design in and use it as the base of the arena world. This could be useful when siege weapons are used by enemies, to test base defense strategies. Last but not least, perhaps make it so you can designate an area of building already done, and copy and store preexisting structures.

This is a good idea. I support.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:27 am »

I'm sure a stone usage system could be in place based off what is available. Like I stated earlier it would work well with the um kh system already in place. You could also probably do it with the Z menus system of stone right now by turning off all other stones exept the ones you want to work with on a given project. This may even lead to Caravan trading being a requirement for blocks or raw stone.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:36:51 am by tilly »

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:35:01 am »

I'm actually shocked not to many people have taken to this thread at all.

Lots of looks but no discussion. I guess this one's headed to the land of the dead after all.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

Here I am again. This time I'm trying a 1 pick challenge (after 7 failures because my choice of spot didn't have water in the caverns, and the dorfs all died of thurst before I could get any drinks out)

Dove down, hit cave, harvested everything in sight, built a side tunnel into the water that has since been sealed because I've got drinks now. Now I'm trying to encompass an area of the cave an build a dome there so I can do a dedicated farming effort beyond the current 8 squares taht I can safely farm.
Ok so the first wall is up and built, working on the second layer (which has a floor around it on the inner face), and its jsut maddening that I can't say... "do what I did 10 minutes ago, again"

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »

It seems to be little known that you can already paint with the mouse (dig designations I know work, I'm not sure about all.)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 02:15:35 am »

It seems to be little known that you can already paint with the mouse (dig designations I know work, I'm not sure about all.)

From experience the mouse usage is really useless, except maybe when commanding troops, and designating small digging areas.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:07:28 pm »

The mouse isn't useless, it's just that is not 100% usable in all menus.
If we could just use it like in an RTS.. omg, I can't imagine how things will be easier to manage like for example the militia.
The game is deep, that's what make it interesting but I think it ill be nice to step a bit in the 21 century.  :-*

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we could just use it like in an RTS.. omg, I can't imagine how things will be easier to manage like for example the militia.
The game is deep, that's what make it interesting but I think it ill be nice to step a bit in the 21 century.  :-*

Mouse input in all menus would certainly be helpful. It would save you from going through every item in a list.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile

Sometimes I feel like this game is actually from the 22nd century, that's why it has such a small following. Because it's way too ahead of its time. Just because it looks like something from the 20th...

But I digress. I respect that painting burrows with the mouse is there, but I find anything bigger than complex and spiralling 1x1 zones should be designated with the keys.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured