Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: B-17 Flying Fortress boardgame: The Detroit Dame  (Read 14785 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
B-17 Flying Fortress boardgame: The Detroit Dame
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:09 am »

The Detroit Dame

This will be a let's play of the B-17 Flying Fortress solitaire boardgame, in first person perspective. Hope you fellows enjoy it! Screenshots start at mission 2 :)

Spoiler: Mission 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mission 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mission 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Missions 4 and 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Intro to missions 6-10 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Missions 6-7 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mission 8 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mission 9 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mission 10 (click to show/hide)

Ran out of space. Remaining missions here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:25:13 am by Anvilfolk »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: B-17 Flying Fortress boardgame: The Detroit Dame
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:15 pm »

This kinda reminds me of a game in a prior forum I visited that was LP'd. It was 50 Mission Crush for the Commodore 64. It was pretty fun to watch, despite classic C64 graphics and all.

Sign me up as a replacement if possible.

EDIT:
NAME: Roman Howard
ROLE: Bombardier
ORIGIN: New York
PERSONALITY: Tinkerer, lazy, focused, smart, more calm than expected under stress (handy for aiming with a norden sight).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:51:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:20:35 pm »

Thanks for the interest :D

Yeah, there'll likely be a lot of rotation ... it was INSANELY lucky that Steven and Roman survived. If they're seriously wounded, on a roll of 1 they have a rapid recovery, but then on 2-4 they are invalidated and go home, and 5-6 they die, I think. I couldn't believe those two 1s when I rolled them! I'm starting to get attached to the characters...

The first 5 missions are supposed to be pretty easy, since the target locations are close and the fighter cover is always Good. After those first five missions we'll get progressively worse fighter cover, until some targets are entirely outside fighter coverage. You should hopefully be able to see part of that on the map!

There are very, very few choices to make in this game, so it'll basically be a dice-fest to see how long the crew and/or bomber can go on. I'd like to keep it a little personal, so grab some believable name for a character, and perhaps add a bit of background if you want :D Although you might want to wait until we know which... "vacancies" we get!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:22:44 pm by Anvilfolk »

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »

This looks pretty well-written!  I'm intrigued.  Sign me up as a replacement.

Lt. Jake "Montana" Wyatt
Navigator or Co-Pilot
Origin: Billings, MT
Personality: Reserved, capable, calm under pressure

Edit: On second thought I'll take any of the Lt. positions if/when they open up.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:22:19 pm by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:58:27 am »

German Intelligence reports a new recruit!

Name: Jack Euchre
Nationality: American
Origin: Grand Rapid, MI
Role: Unknown (whatever you need)
Personality: Heroic, Boisterous, Swears rather than cries when in pain, Swears when happy, Swears when upset, Swears when surprised...

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:20:47 pm »

So what kind of influence do you actually have on how the game goes?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »

Actually very, very little, like I think I said somewhere above. Your decisions essentially amount to which gunner shoots which incoming enemy aircraft, and when to turn back. Then there's stuff that I haven't had to deal with, namely casualties, oxygen fires and putting them out, oxygen leaks, etc.

I'll be doing another mission now, will try to post it by tonight. I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing some of your guys in-game, because that means some of my guys will have died, but keep your fingers crossed. A few more missions and things will ramp up considerably!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 06:43:49 pm »

I'll need to sit down and do a proper writeup, but here's the current status for those who are interested.

Spoiler: Mission Record (click to show/hide)

Mission 3 was relatively unexciting, except for medium flak, damaging a fighter but fortunately not being hit.

Mission 4 was completely bonkers. I thought we were done for. I found out flak gets to shoot 3 times instead of 1, and we actually got heavy flak over target. We took a pummeling! Let me tell you, it was a long way back... but I'll leave the details for the writeup!

Mission 5 was St. Omer again. Good fighter coverage kept us clear. It was in, bomb, out. We were off target, but very luckily got a couple of bombs in.

Beginning with mission 6, things are going to take a turn for the worse. We're officially off the newbie cadre. We are no longer guaranteed good fighter support, meaning a lot more of the enemy fighters will be able to get to us.  Some of our targets will also be at 3 distance away rather than 1 or 2. It will be... lively.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:35 pm »

Added mission 3 - oof. This stuff takes long. Going to try to speed through the other two faster.

--- edit ---

Mission 4 and 5 added.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:45:42 am by Anvilfolk »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:03:22 am »

Nice read!

I'm guessing that we'll be writing to Edwin more and Mom&Dad less...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:51 am »

Hahahah :D

I'd love to be as in period as I could too, kind of like historical fiction, but I haven't gotten the skills or the time to develop them. I do have a bunch of books about the bomber boys, but they're back in Portugal and I haven't read any WW2 stuff for a while now (though I'm starting to get the itch).

Can't wait to try out the longer missions, and actually getting hit more by fighters!

Also, I'm open to suggestions and any kind of participation :)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

I really enjoy seeing the period photograph(s) complementing the storytelling.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:57 am »

Thanks :D I have a few more ideas of images I can use, so look for them at some point.

Did a few more missions. Two of them were comparatively easy, but the other two made it really obvious how good it is to have Good fighter coverage, which we are now not guaranteed. I'm still being insanely lucky, as so far all of the damage has been either superficial or only partial (i.e. doesn't really have an effect on game unless same system is hit again). Things are getting really, really tense!

Anyway, here is a quick overview of progress!

Starting on mission 11, the targets could be even further away, entirely outside the fighter umbrella. Even Poor gives you some chance of driving enemy fighters away. Once we're outside, that's all gone. I was hoping to get ace gunners until then... I've taken to marking probables, meaning heavily damaged fighters that break away, but those don't count towards the Ace status, so it's just fluff. Being an ace gunner gives a +1 to hit, which is amazing because most enemies attack from somewhere in the front arc, which is outside the firing arcs of most side gunners (cheeks and waist), and need a roll of 6 to hit. Ace gunners would only need 5...

The most harrowing moment so far was when we were over target, preparing for the bomb drop, but the defending fighters got through. One of them actually hit our bomb bay, with bombs inside, and HIT THE BOMBS. Somehow though, the mission before we'd gotten a rabbit's foot, which is a free once-in-a-lifetime re-roll, which allowed me to reroll whether the bombs detonated... so they didn't. If they had, it would've been the end of the Detroit Dame, and all of its crew!

Thank the god of luck for that rabbit's foot!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:19 am »

Can you maybe explain a bit more about the machanics during the game? Like in the after-mission reports, what's those crosses near to each of our gunners?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:10 pm »

Oh, sure - sorry, I really should've done that :)

You are playing a crew of a B-17 bomber of the 8th Air Force based in England during the 44-45 strategic campaign against Germany. The general mechanics are pretty easy, but once damage kicks in it starts getting more and more detailed. The game goes as follows:
- To begin, you roll on a table for the target location, your position in the squadron, and the position of your squadron in the formation. These affect how easy it is for you to get attacked by enemy fighters (more fighters attack you if you are low in the formation).
- Then every "turn" you move one zone closer to the target area (zones are circles on map).
- Every time you move into a new zone, you roll to see whether your fighter cover is (P)oor, (F)air or (G)ood - that's in the mission chart.
- After rolling for fighter cover, you roll to see whether you are intercepted in that zone. Typically, the closer you are to England, the smaller the chances of getting attacked.
- Once/if you get attacked, you roll on a table to see how many waves of fighters appear. For each wave, you roll to see which fighters appear where. This is the table Fighter Waves table on in the Mission Chart. The numbers marked are the table entry that specifies which fighters appear.
- Then you roll to see how many are driven away by fighter coverage (your choice of which). Then you allocate guns to the different fighters, depending on their arc of fire (the counters next to enemy fighters). You can see who is able to shoot at what, and how much is required to hit, in the screenshots with the bomber&enemy fighters, in mission 2. If you hit, you roll for damage, which reduces the chances of you being hit, drives the enemy away, or destroys it. All guns that shoot lose one ammo point (which are the ticks you were talking about).
- Then the enemy shoots. They also roll on a table to see 1) whether they hit, 2) if they do, how many shells hit, 3) for each shell where it hits, 4) for each hit location what subsystem is hit, and 5) the effect of that particular hit on that particular subsystem. I've been penning down all hit notes, so you should be able to see that on the mission chart too.
- Enemy planes that hit you come back for more - for a maximum total of 3 attacks. Planes that don't hit just go away and focus on other bombers.
- Once you get to the zone with the target, you roll for weather, then you get attacked as usual (modified by weather), except with a higher chance to encounter multiple waves of fighters.
- Once you've gotten rid of the fighter attacks at the target area, you roll for flak, roll for flak hits x3, for each hit roll for how many shell hits, for each shell roll for a location, etc etc.
- Then you roll for whether you're on target or not, then roll for the amount of bombs on target. Then you turn your plane around, and repeat the entire process.

That's basically it. The basic mechanics themselves doesn't offer you a lot of choices (which planes disappear due to fighter coverage, and what guns to shoot at which fighters, which is relatively easy to optimise). When you do start getting a few more choices is when you take very serious damage, which I have luckily still not sustained. There are many, many systems which can fail, including oxygen systems, heat systems, engines, control surfaces (ailerons, rudders and elevators), cold and jamming, lightly wounded crewmen, heavily wounded crewmen, oxygen fires, fuel fires, etc, etc. When that starts happening, you can imagine FTL in boardgame form :)

What I'm personally most fond of is not so much the mechanics are the involvement the game produces. Playing this yesterday was incredibly tense, with so much going on each die roll. This doesn't happen in just any old boardgame. These guys have a story now. I'm pretty attached to a few of the crewmembers already (know their names by heart), and especially to the Dame. She's done me proud so far!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4