Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 287362 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1245 on: March 01, 2014, 06:19:03 pm »

The most reliable ones are Dozhd' (Дождь) and Echo of Moscow (Эхо Москвы).
In before Guardian mentions that this is "liberal pro-western media"

Edit: damn, ninjad
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 01, 2014, 06:21:26 pm »

They are liberal pro-western media, no matter how good or bad it might be.

People at nationalist and anti-Western websites are obviously in favour of the intervention - and they aren't fewer in numbers than liberal folks at Dozhd or Ekho Moskvy.

EDIT: According to Russian private website Lenta.ru, the chairman of Russian State Duma Sergei Naryshkin warned Ukrainian interim President Turchinov that Russian troops will move into Ukraine if the Ukrainian government uses force against Russian citizens in the South-East and the Crimea.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:37:07 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 01, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »

Unfortunately, those are the best sources we have. And seeing how they are extremely against Putin, they are likely to report all the bad parts of what's happening in Crimea much more thruthfully than the state media. My statement that most russians don't support the intervention is basend on how many people online protest agains it and how even otherwise pro-Putin sources (like Rambler, Rossiyskaya Gazeta et al.) condemn the invasion.

EDIT: Oh, oh, try Vedomosti. These guys are pretty okay.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:29:59 pm by Knit tie »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:31 pm »

Unfortunately, those are the best sources we have. And seeing how they are extremely against Putin, they are likely to report all the bad parts of what's happening in Crimea much more thruthfully than the state media. My statement that most russians don't support the intervention is basend on how many people online protest agains it and how even otherwise pro-Putin sources (like Rambler, Rossiyskaya Gazeta et al.) condemn the invasion.

Some people have been condemning RIA Novosti before, but so far so good they've been mostly neutral. They heavily cover the actions of the Crimean government, but they don't call the Ukrainian government fascists and don't discredit them as the state media usually does.
Lenta.ru is more sympathetic to the Ukrainian government but also tries to be neutral.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 01, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Some people have been condemning RIA Novosti before, but so far so good they've been mostly neutral. They heavily cover the actions of the Crimean government, but they don't call the Ukrainian government fascists and don't discredit them as the state media usually does.
Lenta.ru is more sympathetic to the Ukrainian government but also tries to be neutral.
Well, talk about eggs teaching the hen :). You obviously know more than I do, thanks for the insight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 01, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »

You know Guardian, you've never actually told us what is wrong with being, as you put it, "pro-Western". And I'd like a reason besides Yeltsin, anybody that far into fatal alcoholism would have screwed up running a country.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 01, 2014, 06:49:05 pm »

You know Guardian, you've never actually told us what is wrong with being, as you put it, "pro-Western". And I'd like a reason besides Yeltsin, anybody that far into fatal alcoholism would have screwed up running a country.
... didn't the thread just go over how one of the major western powers likes to go about screwing people? Pro-western would kinda' mean supporting folks that do that, which... y'know, has its problems. Major powers in general, western or otherwise, have a storied history of buggering everything. Media metaphorically fellating them is naturally something that should be viewed with suspicion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 01, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »

Watch pro western news, and pro eastern news. The truth is somewhere between that.
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:26 pm »

Watch pro western news, and pro eastern news. The truth is somewhere between that.
+1 The most sensible thing to do, really.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1256 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »

Where did the EU go again? America wasn't even involved.

EU: "United States! United States! Quick, Russia is bullying Ukraine because the people there wanted to join us!"
US: "... But you guys HATE it when I get into stuff."
EU: "Yeah...  but... we don't like talking to Russia! He's scary!"
US: "... sigh..."

Relevant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I find it a tad strange that Western leaders/media aren't even responding to the claims that this is a peacekeeping mission. Like that doesn't even come up at all. Government representatives in Russia are all saying that they are there to stop Russian citizens from being harmed, but there's not so much as a "We don't buy your bullshit" in response, it's just "Stop invading/doing whatever you're doing."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:26:46 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:23 pm »

The EU is so utterly feckless it makes me want to cheer for Putin.  Putin's the only one showing any leadership or even competence.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 01, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »

The EU is so utterly feckless it makes me want to cheer for Putin.  Putin's the only one showing any leadership or even competence.
And what are they going to do? Send a nasty letter? Commit troops to invade Moscow? Fire ze missiles?

Seriously, what is it you want them to do?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 01, 2014, 07:39:43 pm »

Thinking about the whole situation....

I don't know what price Ukraine will have to pay, but I am sure Russian federation is doomed. That country will cease to exists in the next ten years. Probably  sooner. Moves like that will lead Russia to total ruin.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 286