Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Languages were people...  (Read 765 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
If Languages were people...
« on: October 07, 2022, 11:43:10 pm »

English would be a bit soft spoken and conceited, wouldn't it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Languages were people...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 01:08:11 am »

If languages are people then what would we speak?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 08:03:18 am »

English would be a bit soft spoken and conceited, wouldn't it.
You might say that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

In all seriousness though, I am fascinated by this kind of thing. How would you imagine the personality of a person who represented a language? It's also not an entirely trivial amusement. For example, why is German stereotyped in the west as a harsh, grating assault on the ears, when it can be one of the most beautiful and soft spoken languages? Why don't we depict this instead of Hitler screaming at Fegelein? Good video on this topic of stereotyping langues as alien or other, with a decent comments section too. Because I think it is interesting to see what kind of personality a language does have - when you manage to see past stereotypes and impressions of the language.

E.g. what sets one language apart from another? What kind of language would English be, and why?

1. English has sounds that few languages care to use. Things like the thorn or "th" sound. This is one of those things people take for granted until they become an English teacher and realise the majority of the world doesn't use this sound, and it's a hard sound to make. AFAIK the English, Greeks, Nordics, Welsh and continental Spanish speakers have this sound.
2. English has stressed and unstressed alternating patterns of speech, but can break its own stress patterns easily, compared to say Chinese where it's equal stress. English speakers will also do things with vowels, stress and contractions that they will not even be aware of, like barely pronouncing 'a' or turning 'might not have' into 'might not've,' or further still
3. Written English is alphabetic, and captures loads of information in the words through their roots, and can be modified with prefixes/suffixes and any number of verbs, adjectives, adverbs and tenses.
4. English follows very arcane and esoteric rules that every English speaker knows, even if they are not aware of them. Things like ablaut reduplication determining why it's tick tock and not tock tick, or things like adjective sequence order detailing why the "oval-headed lovely silver French small axe" is wrong but the "lovely small over-headed silver French axe" is right, because it follows the right adjective sequence, but the "bad big wolf" sounds worse than "big bad wolf" because the initial vowel order takes priority over the adjective order.

So; English is a well-traveled person of mystery, who is wide-eyed and a little bit unhinged and oblivious to their own eccentricity. They are very open-minded and come from a very mixed family background, and willingly break the laws of man whilst adhering strictly to an internal moral system even they cannot define

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 11:32:30 am »

Yeah if you heard my mumble dialect I doubt any of you would even bet it's german...

I think the question is easier to handle in terms of family and not personality: english would be two twins one nerdy with thick glasses, well studied and hard working yet in a downward spiral, the other inherited the farm, isn't very articulate and kinda lazy but just keeps drowning in success.

Why do americans find the british accent hot? I couldn't tell all I know it's gonna generate way more postilions than american...

French is like an autistic child, that is extremly high maintenance, and that's why it's constantly followed by an entourage that tends to it's every wim because they consider him a prodigy.

German is the handiest grandpa in town, doesn't have the best relations because he's just too independant. Dutch is his younger brother that keeps telling everybody "yeah I told him to do that" but everybody knows he's a drunk.

let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 06:09:04 pm »

If English was a person, it be switching accents so often you'd think the sounds were computer generated.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 08:18:37 pm »

If death is static and life is change and creation, words may as well be alive. They are born, spread, mutate and die. Due to our inability to communicate *with* them, we have no idea if they are sentinent. Altough this argument as judgement for personhood is rooted in Anthropocentrism anyway.
So I propose personhood for words. Therefore a language consists of people and our personal experience is speaking in people.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 11:04:07 am »

Swedish is a person, more than that, it's roughly ten million persons
Love, scriver~

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 12:05:49 pm »

Implication.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 05:14:22 am »

Does sign language count for this question?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 05:29:02 am »

Does sign language count for this question?
Which one? Someone who speaks BSL wouldn't understand someone who speaks ASL

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 11:40:42 pm »

ASL and BSL have been communicating for a while, and now little CSL has something to say...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 10:59:55 am »

Amazed by the imaginary of bay watchers, if languages are people Chinese should be a woman who is going to give a birth to many kids.
The kids are the dialects of China. The biggest kid must be the mandarin .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟