Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 172209 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:49 am »

There's also the placebo effect. Though I am pretty confident drinking water helps with that terrible hangover dry mouth.

And trust me, I looked for a link to the study. Couldn't find anything. I think it's still in the publishing process but the guy running it has been talking about it. He seems to be pretty experienced in hangover research though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2015, 09:44:14 am »

They do admit that dehydration is a common problem when drinking (particularly because beer is diuretic, causes you to pee a lot).  Said dehydration has given me nasty, lasting headaches when I haven't drunk properly.  IE, had water during and after despite not feeling thirsty.

Alcohol tolerance is pretty extreme, on a side note.  The first time I got drunk, it was sixpack of light beer.  I was light sensitive and hurling all the next day, I felt like I was in the middle of a bad flu but with more headache.  Now I basically never get hangovers anymore.  A lot of it is pacing and learning when to stop, though...  I probably drank those six beers in an about an hour.

Didn't drink again for at least a year, probably 2, and I doubt I'll ever touch "green-tea" flavored beer again :P  In fact while I discovered wine, and later liquor, it was another couple of years before I'd touch beer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:48 pm »

I woke up with this page open. It's...confusing. (Nothing too terrible, but possibly not a great link to open at work.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2015, 03:59:58 pm »

Alcohol tolerance is pretty extreme, on a side note.  The first time I got drunk, it was sixpack of light beer.  I was light sensitive and hurling all the next day, I felt like I was in the middle of a bad flu but with more headache.  Now I basically never get hangovers anymore.  A lot of it is pacing and learning when to stop, though...  I probably drank those six beers in an about an hour.

That's what happens when you get drunk at 12. Give your liver some time to grow!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »

I think I was 22 actually...  I was kinda late to the party :P

Also...  My brother's visiting for a few days for spring break!!  We're going to do extensive testing on this "social drinking" nonsense I hear so much about.  I vaguely remember it being pretty fun.

Planned activities, making a list for my benefit but I'm also open to suggestions:
Going through my library of awful bargain-bin PS2 games
Super Smash Bros co-op
Maybe show him some Retsuprae once we're drunk (MST3K for bad Let's Players)
Playing really old boardgames I've held on to for over a decade (Careers, Worst-Case Scenario Survival Game)
Warlords Battlecry 3
Dance Dance Revolution with me using a mat, him controller (sadly I only have one)
And maybe, once we're both wasted out of our skulls...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other games I want to show him because they're weird:
Undertale (haven't started, no spoilers)
The Consuming Shadow (Yahtzee is super edgy but it kinda works)
Zeno Clash
Receiver

And because they're fun and musical:
123 Kick It (Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby) (That's the full title, including parentheses)
Beat Hazard

Sorry for length, he's due to arrive any minute and I'm a bit giddy :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:26 am »

Yay, I got wasted yesterday (Foreign relations between fraternities are awesome) and thanks to heavy water drinking in the end, I don't even have the merest hint of an hangover! Just came back to my place now, off to a seminar in 20 minutes!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2015, 05:07:33 am »

I was going to wait a few days until my Halloween party is closer, but I'm thinking I might just buy a slab of beer tonight/tomorrow and buy another one for the party next time I get paid. Been too long since I've gotten proper drunk.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »

Speaking of hangovers, there was this one fluff article that recommended pear juice as a panacea for the dagen efter...

I've tried it several times, and it kinda seems to work... (disbarring placebo and confirmation bias, that is.)

EDIT: Five seconds of googling yields this. Don't forget that grain of salt.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:35:00 pm by SirQuiamus »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »

...And the slice of lemon, and the shot of tequila?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »

I've been drinking kraken.  I'm actually drunk now but I'm starting to sober up.  Gotta top myself off.  It's bad times.  Or good times, depending on how you think of them.  People who have been suffering a long time won't be for much longer.  Needed some liquid deal with it.

Unfortunately all I had was 98 proof kraken and I haven't eaten anything today.  So what I thought would be a little buzz turned into really obviously fucked up.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2015, 04:02:01 am »

...Gosh. Not quite sure what you're referring to there, but I hope things are okay!

In other news, I just picked up a ten-pack of 'Tramrail' pale ale for $20.
It's not really the kind of pale ale I like, it's a bit too fruity for my taste, but it's not as bad as some beers. Besides, it's still alcoholic. And cheap. ^-^

Edit: I remembered the name wrong, it's actually called 'Steamrail'. It's growing on me. :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:58:42 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2015, 04:05:13 am »

I had too much kraken and 2 bottles of hard root beer.  It's nasty sober, just beer with a root beer taste, but when 6oure already tipsy is so good.

I'm fcuk 9ltyan goodness for auto correct
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:35 am »

I had too much kraken and 2 bottles of hard root beer.  It's nasty sober, just beer with a root beer taste, but when 6oure already tipsy is so good.

I'm fcuk 9ltyan goodness for auto correct
Noice.

It seems I have some catching up to do... probably more catching up than I can do with just a few beers. :P 
Enjoy! Also I've had alcoholic ginger beer before, but never root beer. Interesting.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2015, 06:04:44 am »

I'm continuing my training for the "Roi des Bleus", a drinking competition held in each fraternities. We are a rather small one and our initiation focus more on philosophical discourse than drinking and humiliation, so the pool of participant is quite small, probably about 8. Of those, I'm fairly certain I can defeat all but two or three, and with some training I shall be the King of the Bleus! And then get trounced at the inter-fraternity "King of the Kings" competition.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2015, 07:11:45 am »

I do hope you suvive until next wednesday, but I'm not certain anymore.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 141