Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 170016 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #1740 on: July 16, 2019, 12:30:46 pm »

Sorry, non-free citizens of Earth. The US-of-A is probably going to begin the liberation process soon. Until then -

It was a Friday night. And delegate George Washington promptly went on the bender that began America.

At City Tavern, the framers' unofficial watering hole four blocks from Independence Hall, Washington was the guest of the Light Horse of Philadelphia, a volunteer cavalry corps that had crossed the Delaware with Washington and wintered at Valley Forge. The First Troop, as the unit came to be known, could fight. And boy could they drink.

From the archives, the republic's founding bar tab:

- 54 bottles of Madeira wine.

- 60 bottles of claret.

- 22 bottles of porter.

- 12 bottles of beer.

- 8 bottles of cider and 7 large bowls of punch (both of which were probably alcoholic).

In all, according to the itemized bill for the evening from the troop's archives, more than 45 gallons of booze were served to "55 gentlemens," who also got dinner, fruit, relishes and olives. The nine musicians and seven waiters ran up their own liquor bill (21 additional bottles of wine) that the troop paid for. There was a line item for cigars and candles and another for the broken wine glasses, decanters and tumblers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 16, 2019, 03:24:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok then I'm just going to assume they're filthy colera avoidant casuals.

Sounds like the website doesn't feel like following GDPR. Always a good sign of a website you want to associate with. [/s]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 17, 2019, 08:13:22 pm »

Helped close the bar again tonight.

At least there was a random customer who came in and flirted with me a bit... That was nice. Even if she did have a boyfriend/husband.

EDIT: Oh, and I managed to maintain fairly cheerful dialogue with the boyfriend of my latest heartbreak. It's nice to know that everything's working out.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:08 am »

Is Tinder really that popular?

Since I've been out of the singles game a long time, I don't really have any experience with this sort of stuff. I'm curious whether it's really creating what the newspapers claim is the casual hook-up culture of modern singles.

I'd assume it's just full of horny guys wasting their time in a void without a single interested woman, much like most other online dating thingabobs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:53 am »

I'm pretty chuffed right now, you guys. One of the dudes at my local liquor store (not the nearest one which is literally a block from my house, the one I go to all the time which is a few minutes' further away but has cheaper prices, friendlier staff and a better range) just asked me my name as I was buying beer!
I'm a regular! We're not exactly on a first-name basis, mind you, since he didn't tell me his name - probably because he was distracted by my card being declined for some reason which necessitated me scanning it again. But still! I feel like part of the family.   

I dunno, I feel like most good-looking folks with a modicum of self-confidence use it at least once or twice.       
I doubt it's singlehandedly "creating" said culture though, haha.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:09 am »

Since I've been out of the singles game a long time, I don't really have any experience with this sort of stuff. I'm curious whether it's really creating what the newspapers claim is the casual hook-up culture of modern singles.

I'd assume it's just full of horny guys wasting their time in a void without a single interested woman, much like most other online dating thingabobs.

I've heard it's gotten mainstream enough that people use it for regular dating as well, and also there are plenty of bots trying to get you to hand over information or go to instagram. If you've got a good-enough looking picture and can start a conversation well, it should be fine.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 18, 2019, 11:01:09 am »

Tinder is the number one restaurant app for women.

I actually know a couple people who met on Tinder and are engaged now. I also know that yes, it is indeed more or less a complete shitshow.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 18, 2019, 12:49:34 pm »

You still see a lot of 'faith comes firsts' and 'I love Jesus' if you're, say, some twenty or thirty miles out from a decent city in the Midwest. And single mothers. And 'feed me tacos' and 'i just want your dog' and 'i love to laugh.'

Wait, the gals in your area actually write stuff on their profiles? Holy shit, that's awesome! We don't get that kinda fancy stuff out here, way in the middle of one of Norway's most densely populated urban centers...

And yeah, I wouldn't say that Tinder has created some new hookup culture, but it did still make pretty big waves when it came out. It's nothing people aren't or wouldn't be doing without the app, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 18, 2019, 02:11:00 pm »

Well, when you put it that way, maybe 40% put something on their profiles. Otherwise it's just like instagram links or a whole lotta nothing.

I can't wait to move into the city to then be disappointed that it's not much better there. Maybe I gotta fall back on being an exotic foreigner again in a year or two. Kagus, they hiring nerds out there? The words 'if you don't like it, leave' are ringing about in American ears this week, and I'd really like to visit a doctor for a basic checkup, hehe.

Still better than what I experienced: 90% have absolutely no profile text at all, most of the remaining 10% just describe themselves using a string of emojis. Or instagram links.

As for hiring nerds, sure... I've got a drinking buddy who speaks about 12 words of Norwegian and works full time as a sysadmin for the national broadcasting service. But as for being an exotic foreigner, I dunno man... 80% of the people in this neighborhood are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, so you're gonna have to compete with that. And we still get people who tell my Finnish friend to go back to Poland, so...

The fact that a significant part of the population here is originally from Pakistan or Somalia makes it really freaking funny when the ultra-racist populist political parties try doing their little shows down here about how Islam is the most dangerous religion... Kinda seems like they picked the wrong crowd, y'know?

And yes, there are now "Re-elect Trump 2020" stickers slapped along the central bridge here in the city. I still don't really know who they're trying to reach with those.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 18, 2019, 05:56:23 pm »

Well, when you put it that way, maybe 40% put something on their profiles. Otherwise it's just like instagram links or a whole lotta nothing.

I can't wait to move into the city to then be disappointed that it's not much better there. Maybe I gotta fall back on being an exotic foreigner again in a year or two. Kagus, they hiring nerds out there? The words 'if you don't like it, leave' are ringing about in American ears this week, and I'd really like to visit a doctor for a basic checkup, hehe.

Still better than what I experienced: 90% have absolutely no profile text at all, most of the remaining 10% just describe themselves using a string of emojis. Or instagram links.

As for hiring nerds, sure... I've got a drinking buddy who speaks about 12 words of Norwegian and works full time as a sysadmin for the national broadcasting service. But as for being an exotic foreigner, I dunno man... 80% of the people in this neighborhood are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, so you're gonna have to compete with that. And we still get people who tell my Finnish friend to go back to Poland, so...

The fact that a significant part of the population here is originally from Pakistan or Somalia makes it really freaking funny when the ultra-racist populist political parties try doing their little shows down here about how Islam is the most dangerous religion... Kinda seems like they picked the wrong crowd, y'know?

And yes, there are now "Re-elect Trump 2020" stickers slapped along the central bridge here in the city. I still don't really know who they're trying to reach with those.

Americans abroad are allowed to vote, are they not?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 19, 2019, 01:30:02 am »

Americans abroad are allowed to vote, are they not?

Yeah, all five of us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 19, 2019, 04:55:45 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:50:30 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 21, 2019, 06:08:17 am »

Yeah, all five of us.

w8 what? you get to vote in 2020?

Yeah, "just" need to fill out the forms to request an absentee ballot. I didn't vote last time because embassy bureacracy is a fucking effort, and it was really difficult to summon the energy to go through the whole process just in order to cast my vote for a candidate I truly had no love for. And what was even the point, Trump obviously wasn't gonna win anyways, was he?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 21, 2019, 06:48:10 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:50:35 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 21, 2019, 06:57:46 am »

There is hardly any point besides voting in the democratic primaries, evenso the country is gerrymandered to shreds, I hope you're registered in a "flyover" state :P. It is a big priviledge though, that election affects every inch of the planet.
Actually I don't even know where I'm registered these days, and my folks don't even have a permanent address in the US anymore... Judging from a cursory glance, it looks like last state of residence (or parents' residence) counts, which would mean Nevada.

Uhm... Yeah.

None of this is stuff I should be thinking about now though, I've got a flight to Poland at 7 AM tomorrow morning and there's no train to the airport until late August.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 141