Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 168621 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #2070 on: October 03, 2020, 12:00:45 pm »

I tried medicating a toothache with booze, earlier. It didn't work too well, though I was pleasantly surprised it worked at all.   
Then I tried a coupla paracetamol and boom! No more toothache. Hooray. Now let's just hope it doesn't come back by the time I wake up.   

Also yeah, the thirst is real, pretty sure that's true for most everyone in these trying times.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: October 20, 2020, 06:59:55 pm »

Oo-er. Judging by how I feel this morning the whiskey I was swigging last night actually got me somewhat drunk.
...Fuck me! I just pulled it outta the bag and it's almost empty. Holy shit. I have a vague recollection of sending some message or other whilst inspired by booze and a glance at my posting history tells me it wasn't here, so, I guess it's time to turn on my user agent switcher, log in to Facebook, and see what kind of damage control might be necessary. Yikes.   

Edit: aw fuck, my head. Hangover thread when? Call it "Things That Made You Hungover Today" to fit the naming convention.   
At least I don't seem to have done anything too embarrassing whilst off my face last night. I did send a mildly sappy message to a friend/love interest, but that was kinda warranted considering her birthday slipped by the other day without me sending any congratulations.   
Other than that, things seem alright. As mentioned above, though, the physical pain part of the hangover has really fucken kicked in. Jeez. Hopefully the paracetamol kicks in soon. I suppose I could try a bit of "hair of the dog", with what little is left of the bottle up there next to me, but the very thought of drinking more is just about turning my stomach. And now I have put that feeling in words so it is all the more powerful. Ulp. I better leave this train of thought.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:08:48 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: October 22, 2020, 12:17:15 pm »

That's how it goes, man.  The fear is usually worse than the reality.  Sure, alcohol strips us of our inhibitions, but it's still us up there.  In the pilot seat.

Part of us, anyway.

My most problematic ex hit me up two nights ago, while I was... taking a break from things.  It went better this time.  I've learned to moderate, so I don't have so many manic/depressive swings.  I was able to listen, engage, and repartee.  They even- mm, reciprocated by asking me to share, and I got to have a fun time rambling about X-piratez lore!

And, ah... I got to apologize for something I'd said, in that same (semi/) manic state.  I had been viciously protective of... the rest of me.  And my apology was graciously accepted and dismissed as unnecessary.
It was a lovely conversation.

I suppose I have a beef with plurality.  It's certainly not for us.  It's a condition we work with - celebrating it only led to tears.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 01, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

This article about addiction:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/health/meth-addiction-treatment.html

I'm kinda amazed at how hard they miss the point.  It's not the monetary rewards which distract people from their vices.  It's the gambling!

If you offered someone $10 on a clean test, the results would be awful.  But if you MIGHT get a reward for being clean... it tricks our human brains.  It triggers our hope receptors.  We become irrational... but in a good way.

Reminder that drinking hard is different from drinking habitually.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 09, 2020, 12:20:07 am »

My sportsball team got absolutely annihilated today, so I had a way too strong drink to celebrate their defeat. Goooooo sportsball!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 09, 2020, 11:13:10 am »

What is it with (red) port that it gets you drunk so fast. 

I am quite used to having a drink, even a few 20% shots in between beers when I go out to the pubs..

Have worked in pubs/bars and on festivals for 20 years..

I can drink a few special beers or a bottle of wine too without it getting me anywhere beyond ever-so-slighty tipsy..

But 3 (port-sized) glasses of port, and I can feel I shouldn't have a fourth one, or stuff will start spinning.
Why? Port is 'only'  19%..  But it hits like a moonshine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 22, 2020, 12:24:23 pm »

I sure am glad I had a quiet night of electro-swing and Minecraft!
Though I seem to remember most of the Minecraft being sealed in a hole in the wilderness
And my laptop was on the floor this morning

Ah well I'll just open it up and awww shit.

Highlights:  Raising awareness of the Dresden firebombing (???), and having a surprisingly civil conversation with a bigot using a Celeste avatar (??) until eventually we reached an impasse and I began calling them "creative" variations of "shit-eater" until they blocked me.  Ehehe.

Also hit up one of my exes again but just talked about Transformers then admitted I was drunk and logged off.
Oh shit Transformers, that makes sense actually

Anyway sorry for being a pest on bay12 too, again.
Edit: WTF I changed my signature?  We TALKED about this, drunk-me!
She/they

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 22, 2020, 12:55:45 pm »

Electro-swing? Have you heard of Caravan Palace? They might be my favorite band...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 22, 2020, 01:03:16 pm »

They pop up a lot in electro-swing mixes, but for good reason!  They are very good.
I particularly like the music video with the dogs and cats getting into a bar fight.  Thread-appropriate!
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 30, 2020, 04:47:57 pm »

This place is so dear.  It should be more celebratory!

Just wrote the best apology letter to (someone who... hm, all of a sudden seems to deserve it?)  But he always did~

I always go music, so how else can we celebrate...

Quote from: Mother Teresa
If we love, we must learn to forgive
How true, how true!
A spit on her corpse, but she made a good point.

Edit: I tied up things with my brother.  Not sure if it's for the best, but it is what is is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:51:19 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 01, 2020, 05:19:48 am »

Two full-time staff suddenly handed in their notice and are now continuously calling in sick in their final few weeks. The air-con in the shop's busted after a recent blackout (both units, both the fans and the power boards are gone) so we're hitting summer indoor temperatures of 30°C and over. Got the Christmas stock order delivery arriving tomorrow and no idea if I'm even gonna have staff there to unpack it, let alone handle the shit-fest that is retail in December. I just finished a 14 hour long shift doing three people's jobs at once.

Yeah, this week's basically been 2020 condensed into an even more potent slurry of crap. Thank god for gin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2081 on: December 01, 2020, 05:12:28 pm »

Finally finished all my chartreuse. Took two years as I've stopped drinking nearly as much as I used to, but what a nice chartreuse it was. Wasn't as good as the really old one I last had, found that one on the shelves of a monastery in Spain, had been aging there for time

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: December 02, 2020, 05:39:07 am »

Surprisingly, one of the best beers I'd ever drunk came as a found object after cleaning out an old share-house. The mass-produced stout abandoned by some unknown resident of the student flat was at least a decade old. Extremely smooth palate, with an almost burnt-toffee aftertaste. Might not match up to a bottle of wine from a monastery, but it was a damn fine drop nonetheless.

Typically, dark beers are the best type of beers to age. I'd not recommend trying a light beer if it was this old.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'd probably still drink it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2083 on: December 02, 2020, 03:12:37 pm »

Chartreuse is a weird one, it's not a wine but a liqueur (and the thing which first caught my eye about it is it's so fucking green). Something about the sheer quantity of assorted crap the monks used to brew it means the longer it sits, the more the various ingredients mix together to create flavours that are greater than the sum of the parts. Meaning, even sitting in a glass bottle, the alcohol burn diminishes to nothing and the flavours get pleasantly warmer like a mint lamb roast with aniseed or something... It's hard to describe as one who's not tasted many flavours of the world. I'm sure the ones aged in wood casks would also inherit even weirder flavour. Would recommend.

Aging beer is something I've never thought too much about, but it sounds like a sick idea. I'm a fair layman when it comes to spotting what's good for aging and what's not. IIRC the general principles are high alcohol percentage, high sugar (or was it low?). I've got a century old arrack which I've no idea what to do with, which I'm sure would taste like trash. But the rum I've been aging for two years now in oak I'm looking forward to scuzzling 3 more years from now. If you think about it, a good whiskey is distilled dark beer, so it makes sense that dark beer would love some aging love too. I'll probably try to sell the arrack to someone who finds value in the novelty of drinking history to death

*EDIT
Found my bottle of two years old limoncello. You're supposed to drink this kinda stuff within a month or two of when you make it, but it tastes better than when I left it tbh. Might inspire me to make some more
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 03:16:59 pm by Loud Whispers »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 03, 2020, 09:58:31 pm »

For beginners Orval and Chimay Grande Réserve you can't do much wrong if you got a cave. In theory don't do it with stuff that have only been fermented once. Once saw some aged Kriek (cherrybeer) as a novelty item on some menu so I guess there is more possibilities.
let
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141