Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The introduction of low walls  (Read 3924 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The introduction of low walls
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:22 am »

Low walls seem like a good addition, for flavor's sake, if nothing else.

Vertical Bars would drain their full height, but a wall with an arrow slit, which is how I imagine fortifications, would probably also hold water to a certain height. So that attribute of low walls would apply to them too. So that makes the main difference between low walls and fortification, is that low walls are easier to fire over, and don't provide as much protection, especially if you're not directly behind them. But that's complex to model.

If fortifications are made better than low walls, I think they and full walls should use double resources. So low walls and floors would use one stone, but full walls and fortifications would use two.

I don't really think having different heights for low walls is worth it. Just make them always hold 3/7's of water, if anything.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

I approve.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »

I like this idea

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 04:00:44 am »

I like the idea. Also,
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122158
I already made it, it never caught on.

10/10 idea.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 02:10:38 am »

Low walls seem like a good addition, for flavor's sake, if nothing else.

Vertical Bars would drain their full height, but a wall with an arrow slit, which is how I imagine fortifications, would probably also hold water to a certain height. So that attribute of low walls would apply to them too. So that makes the main difference between low walls and fortification, is that low walls are easier to fire over, and don't provide as much protection, especially if you're not directly behind them. But that's complex to model.

If fortifications are made better than low walls, I think they and full walls should use double resources. So low walls and floors would use one stone, but full walls and fortifications would use two.

I don't really think having different heights for low walls is worth it. Just make them always hold 3/7's of water, if anything.

I'd have them hold 4/7s water so they could be used for swimming training and retaining enough water for aquatic creatures to survive in as well. 4/7s is tall enough to contain water that would allow swimming but not drowning, but short enough to climb over easily for any dwarf. Thus is makes the most sense.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 [2]