Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356855 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #13245 on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:57 pm »

Actually, I haven't looked in a while, but I think either robo-limbs or synthflesh needs to specifically get EMP shielded. Which makes sense, you do need to put in extra resources and effort to do so.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:22 pm »

I guess its something I need to look into..
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: February 23, 2015, 11:17:24 pm »

I... Recall that you can get EMP shielding for a suit in the ER wiki so I assume that means that you don't normally have EMP shielding? Maybe?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: February 24, 2015, 11:01:11 am »

I just found myself using the verb 'to piecewise' to describe long-term foreshadowing, hinting and generally fucking with the reader mostly without him noticing it in the first place (or not grasping it entirely until too late). Yay!
This pleases me. What was the context?
Oh, there was this one unconnected description of something supposedly half-metaphorical; yet, from a scant few details I know about a much later book of the same author in the same setting (which, needless to say, was written and published much, much later, and a contemporary reader wouldn't have any of that knowledge), that off-handed sentence might be a quite literal description of a scene in that later book.
Thus I responded to this as
... I have a diiistinct feeling the author might have been piecewising something ~_~
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:14 am »

"Well, I've got an idea. It's not really a good idea, but... These rods are projecting the field; if detaching them from the wall doesn't break them, and we can carry one around without ending up like the first guy to touch one - cutting out the section of wall it's attached to, maybe - we could bring part of the field with us, and get to the artifact that way."

At least you know it isn't good idea.  8)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:12 am »

I just found myself using the verb 'to piecewise' to describe long-term foreshadowing, hinting and generally fucking with the reader mostly without him noticing it in the first place (or not grasping it entirely until too late). Yay!
This pleases me. What was the context?
Oh, there was this one unconnected description of something supposedly half-metaphorical; yet, from a scant few details I know about a much later book of the same author in the same setting (which, needless to say, was written and published much, much later, and a contemporary reader wouldn't have any of that knowledge), that off-handed sentence might be a quite literal description of a scene in that later book.
Thus I responded to this as
... I have a diiistinct feeling the author might have been piecewising something ~_~
I believe they already have a term for that.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:26 am »

@kj1225
Do you mean 'foreshadowing' or 'fucking with the reader'? Because you know, with piecewising the latter is essential :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: February 24, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »

Chekov's gun actually. For when something you briefely read is really important.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:34 pm »

Ah, that one. Well, yes, I guess.
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13255 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:16 pm »

Isn't Chekhov's gun when something mentioned becomes important to the plot later on?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »

Yeah, and Chekov's Gunman is a person mentioned who becomes important later on.
Chekov's Gun Range?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »

Chekhov's gun is for referring to some piece of material that was developed/undeveloped through the story (gun fired/not fired). Original quote says: "if there is a gun on stage in the first act, by the end of play it must be fired". As you can see, it is actually referring to drama performance.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:37:24 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13258 on: February 24, 2015, 12:49:19 pm »

Chekov's gun actually. For when something you briefely read is really important.
Chekov's gun is actually more of a lesson in plot coherence and lack of loose ends/extraneous bits. Chekov's point is that you shouldn't spend time showing off a rifle and then  sticking it on the mantle unless you intend to actually use the damn thing.  Set ups need payoffs or things feel weird and incomplete.  However, the chekov's gun most people use is the idea of a plot point being introduced early in a work and then brought up again later to have a major effect. You introduce your father's rifle in act one, and in act three, you pull the rifle down and use it to murder the butler. It's an unspecific form of foreshadowing because it doesn't foreshadow an event, rather it only foreshadows the fact that a particular point will be important later. Oedipus sort of does it with his own right hand, because he claims he'll hunt down and punish the murderer of the king with his own hands, and then it is later revealed that he killed the king with his right hand, and then he ends up blinding himself by his own hand.

Then again Oedipus Rex is about 60% foreshadowing by weight so thats hardly surprising.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »

Piecewise knows for sure what Chekhov's gun is, and that is good for us all.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 2205