Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356319 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #14625 on: March 30, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I could likely get behind the Brain stat, I'd just need to consider how this'd effect my char sheet. Seems a good idea though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14626 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:03 pm »

I'm on IRC, come talk with me about shit

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »

This way exo is more unique and Uncon isn't just exo for people afraid of getting stuff put in their heads.
But, but, but... what about people who are afraid of getting stuff put in their heads?  ???

Seriously though, while this approach has merits (most notably the idea of single "Brains" stat), it certainly has very large downsides. One of those would be to butcher half the game background - not just the setting stuff, but also our own accomplishments (China-9 and Ice-9, most notably) and character ideas; another would be that it would lose good things about the current system (like the difference between a spineless nerd and a convicted idiot). I agree that Uncon certainly has the most trouble since it's the most contradictory and eclectic skill, yet I think that, if nothing else, there exists some charm in the existence of "space magic calculators" - to my knowledge, pretty much unique to this setting. And since it'd be plain wrong to place it Aux, and since there isn't a skill for high math (only maybe General Knowledge, but then again, it is "Everything Else" skill, fringe by definition), there should be some compromise - and current Uncon compromise at least holds the value of being familiar to us.

So, please, don't fix what ain't broken.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: March 30, 2015, 06:12:57 pm »

Bone dart launchers. Takes up most of your forearm and you have a tiny opening in your palm. You have specialized glands in there allowing you to produce different toxins/paralyzing agents. Forearm muscles contract to shoot out the dart. Makes you look like Popeye though.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: March 30, 2015, 06:14:44 pm »

All these genetic modifications make me disappoint because I had plans to implement a lot of them.
Muh tokens
Sig! Onol

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:16 pm »

Bone dart launchers. Takes up most of your forearm and you have a tiny opening in your palm. You have specialized glands in there allowing you to produce different toxins/paralyzing agents. Forearm muscles contract to shoot out the dart. Makes you look like Popeye though.
Does it come with free spinach?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: March 30, 2015, 06:19:33 pm »

I... Dunno. One the one hand, I feel it might solve some things, but outright removing manips seems a little bit... Drastic? I can certainly agree with the 'brain stat' thing, that seems like a good idea regardless. Hmm. Perhaps if we only do this, then it'll even out? And then maybe we try to invent/place into some more stuff in uncon, like the things just proposed. We could still also include a slight price increase for exo if needed. But removing an entire category of items might be a bit too much in the other direction, so to speak.

And if uncon doesn't have (inferior to exo) space magic, it might become too esoteric to be a viable option, compared to the other two. What would a high level uncon thing look like then?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:27:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:11 pm »

Oh, didn't see the bit about removing manips. Yeah, they're too useful to go, I think, being a safer option of space magic than amps, and they're useful as superbombs if you really want something fucked up and you don't care too much about surviving.
Sig! Onol

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: March 30, 2015, 06:47:23 pm »

Oh, didn't see the bit about removing manips. Yeah, they're too useful to go, I think, being a safer option of space magic than amps, and they're useful as superbombs if you really want something fucked up and you don't care too much about surviving.
You'll still be able to do that with amps, you just won't be able to throw it and survive like Ice-9
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »

Well yeah, that's my intention with buying manips. The ultimate bomb, it's just not a guarantee you'll survive it.
Sig! Onol

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: March 30, 2015, 06:56:35 pm »

Except just now we've been reminded that that time when Denzel died as a new sun-in-braincase on M15, he was using a manip.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: March 30, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »

Yeah, but he overshot an action instead of putting impossible parameters into the machine like the -9 incidents.
Sig! Onol

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:04 pm »

Bit late, but I take Con because, sometimes, wizards run outta spells, and a backup is always nice. It's also nice for when ya can't use your amp, or really shouldn't use your amp.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: March 30, 2015, 08:45:06 pm »

I don't think removing manips would be a bad idea.  It rebalances exo with uncon (as long as all those melee exo weapons are moved to uncon), and does a much better job at it than anything else.  Also, it allows us to remove INT, which is really just a dump stat for power gamers, and a penalty stat for roleplayers.

It isn't even that hard to justify in-universe; we only have to remove manips on the sword.  Say, since we only just got the Space Magic  Facility up and running, there's very limited supply of batteries, which are better put towards producing new automanips.  Hence, Steve told everyone to swap to amps because they're more cost efficient than manips.  Also, supplying us with all types of manips and all types of amps is more expensive than just the amps.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: March 30, 2015, 08:53:31 pm »

Maybe it would be possible to give con users multiple shots per turn instead?
Don't they already get multiple shots? Or do you mean even more shots?

Two examples I remember are Lars headshotting two running Sods at range, and clearing a room of 15 or so soft targets with pistols in a single turn.  The former was a 5 roll and the latter was an overshoot of some kind.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 2205