Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356241 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #14670 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:43 am »

I have said enough on the manipulators being useful in their own way and not inferior to amps, as far as trade-offs go. If that is not how it is in-universe, then I am plain wrong.

On Mind stat: It is a nice approach, and I like the idea of this new stat, but there lies a greater problem. At the moment it is already quite troublesome to specialize in stats, whereas skills are fine for that. If we keep having more skills than stats, the same problem is only exaggerated.
Furthermore, while having Uncon have more distinct feel to it is commendable, I don't know whether it is a good idea; at least it already fits in weirdos that bring calculators of high physics to gunfight. Plus shotgun is still a death tube, as is the bolo launcher or the mindfuck gun. And since we usually don't use traps or anything (they probably already exist and fit into Uncon, it's that we're almost universally assault rather than defend), it would really serve to make the Uncon a bit more lackluster. Now, I understand that I am biased, and have moulded own perception of Uncon into what it used to be, between manipulators and swords of lightning and explosives; but the proposed change would leave Uncon with only swords of lightning and explosives, and that might be even more boring, if thematic, than leaving things as they are.

As for the General Knowledge - is it truly necessary to have it in this Int-redundant way? It was originally just "Everything Else" stat, governing mundane weirdshit like music and all. ...Though I understand the reason in trying to make it more important with Int functions dumped in it, I feel like you might originally intended it to be a regularly dump stat, with the shallow meaning it had, and were perfectly fine with it (and occasional, yet not overly malicious - you have Fate for that - Fun that would come from those unexpected checks).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:07 am »

A problem we could have is that, if uncon looses all it's spess magic, it might become even more unused, compared to exo. And if we throw in everything that's not deathtub or spess magic, we revert back to the problem of exo being nothing but space magic. Honestly, I think if we mix int and will (=wint?), and maybe add something to nerf exo a little bit (eg making amount of amps you can have dependent on end, making amps more dangerous to use overall, increasing their mindpoint usage or cost price a bit) it'd be balanced without having to majorly overturn things.

2. If we merge int and will into one stat, it rather devalues Manips. They become basically identical to Amps. Which they kind of already were; I've already spilled this on the IRC, but Manips and Amps both directly access your brain. Thats why both cause headaches. The math, which changes every time and which you can't use machines to solve for you, is meaningless. It's just the manip sort of feeding information to your brain to get it to behave the way it needs to use you. The only real difference here is that the Amps access you directly and can deal direct damage to your brain, while Manips use a battery (which contains living human brain tissue) as a sort of proxy. They burn out the batteries instead of you.  So removing them from the armory wouldn't remove them from the universe, it would just be Steve removing them from stock. Automanips and the like would continue to exist and nothing would be retconned. Those of you with manips could get refunds of course, or trade it in for an amp.

I could see 'limiting the damage to your soul or brain over time through usage' as a good reason why we'd still want access to manips.

And Uncon are urban combat, guerrilla warfare, trap making, melee weirdos who bring a sword made of lightning to a gun fight.
Like others said, this might have the problem that con, and exo especially, would be universally usable, while uncon would be extremely niche and situational, degrading it to something people take 1 or 2 levels in tops just in case. I'm not sure what an +4 uncon person would look like, some sort of weird rambo/batman thing?

4. Space magic should be much more scary, dangerous and powerful then it is. Right now it's pretty OP and rather banal in a lot of ways. People just casually do things with it. This happened over time and it's not really in mind with what I want for space magic. It's too exploitable right now. So instead of continuing like this, I'd like space magic to become (or return to) something where it's like a grenade with a faulty fuse. It's more powerful with individual uses, but it has consequences and will be used more sparingly and with more thought. Something akin to magic in the lovecraftian setting; it comes from something very bad, and it does bad things to you.  With amps being the only space magic like this, it will let me handle changes like that more easily.
Could still have this without removing manips or putting them into exo. Just make (smaller intensity) overshots more common. If you then add the fact that even a slight exo overshot is highly dangerous to the user (due to proximity to their brain) it could really make exo the ultimate magics skill, but more risky than uncon, which is weaker but more reliable.

And if people wanna deliberately use it as bombs, just have Steve zap them till they change their minds. Say that destroying fabric of reality on industrial scales is a big no-no.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:16:48 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:46 am »

I like the idea of manipulators being more precise and accurate, but weaker, and it gives me an idea. How about if manipulators had no stat requirements (or much lesser stat requirements), unlike amps? They'd have limited uses, be external to your body, would take a while to get working compared to amps (because you need to solve complex math or maybe a particularly insidious word problem, you see, and so they probably wouldn't be applicable inside, say, a 9 second combat turn). Where amps are aimed to be weapons, manipulators are more aimed to be tools, allowing you to manipulate terrain, cause controlled effects from great distances, basically all non-urgent applications of space magic or complex applications of the same that wouldn't necessarily be intuitive to the average amp user.

For instance, amps would be for intuitive, easily understandable concepts like throwing shit around, burning things, shooting lightning out of your hands and crushing people with gravity, while manipulators would be for things like altering magnetic flow, lowering or increasing friction on surfaces, converting matter from one form into another. This is especially workable if you improve the user interface of manipulators, and allow people to input schematics and survey data into them, and then work off a computer-assisted visualization of a broad area that they can place different effects into, depending on what kind of manipulator they have. In essence, limit amp abilities to things their users can actually visualize or use their bodies as reference for (or maybe even make fleshwarping a manipulator thing, working off doctor- or Doctor-approved programs in combination with medical scans), while using manipulators to do things you would be better served using a computer for. Matter conversion in particular seems reasonable as a pure manipulator rather than amp thing. And of course make manipulators more versatile.

Not necessarily do all of those at once, of course, just me shotgunning suggestions that spring into my head.

EDIT: You could even explain the manipulator-to-computer transformation as an idea gleaned from M16's adventures in computing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:46:27 am by Harry Baldman »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:00 am »

Anton is about to undertake an experiment that could make field manipulators slightly more literal, and make manipulator-users into more of a "wizard" type, where amp-users are more "sorcerer". If that ends up working, it could be a nice split between the two.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14674 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:53 am »

Alright, I'm gonna do some homework; after that I'll get on IRC and we can talk.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:52 am »

After that electro amp, are we still allowed to come up with new ones? If yes, one that i've though of for a long time would be a 'machine emphatics' type of thing. I'd imagine there's two versions: one where you can interact with/see a computer's output (eg interact with a security camera and be able to see what the other cameras in the network are seeing) and maybe change the input it receives or learn something from it (eg see the passwords it has stored in itself, but can't alter these passwords), and the bigger one where you can outright dominate the computer and change its software as you please on top of it (so can reprogram a murderbot to obey you and turn on its masters, or actively overwrite said passwords without even touching the computer).
It could require aux as an extra stat requirement, and maybe be exclusive to manips (to contrast flesh warping only being for amps). Anyone like this idea?

Also, restating question of whether the new generation exoskeletons are used or if we're using the old ones. Or do we wanna have both? Or just ignore the new ones and only use those for new types of suits (eg the assault suit)? Or have it as a 10-token suit that's more powerful than a Mk.III, and thus able to carry more armor and crap, but sans flight and medical stuff? Aaso reproposing the gene treatments from earlier, the ones that grant fleshy physical 'perfection' while still being subtle, aka a body with the power of a sod, because it seems it might've gotten missed previously.

Oh, and those body mods, do they come in an Avatar-version? Kinda wanna have that tail just to whip people with. And to further Miya's hardly subtle conversion to a villainous looking monster of awful power (bit like Frieza but taller and less effeminate).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:50:49 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: March 31, 2015, 10:54:55 am »

I wonder, would the new type of exoskeleton be equal to synth-body strength (or even closer to battlesuit)? If it were, and were still quite cheaper than the whole synth-body deal (or battlesuit, should it come that way), it might actually prove quite useful, between fleshies and people in need of that strength?

And then maybe we could incorporate it into MCP-III, too (since robots are getting their own new set of integrated upgrades duplicating certain systems of Mk III, there might be no reason anymore to split the package). Or hypothetical MCP-IV, if the new exoskeleton is really that powerful and expensive.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:44 am »

Not sure how powerful, but in the old system, an exoskeleton (like for a battlesuit) gave +1 str/end, and pw said the new ones from my research project could double that. No word on cost though, but being reasonably affordable was part of the design parameters.

Note that all the research data is freely available, just ask Aresteve for access to the databanks.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: March 31, 2015, 11:02:27 am »

Note that all the research data is freely available, just ask Aresteve for access to the databanks.
((At some point when PW isn't neck-deep in reworking half of ER's systems, lol))
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:48 am »

Well, obviously, just pointing it out. why'd you think I advised people to also hold of the whole reorganization thing?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:16 am »

I'm just making fun, this call is dull.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: March 31, 2015, 11:05:19 am »

Start yelling about BEES BEES EVERYWHERE and abruptly hang up. That should liven up the place!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14682 on: March 31, 2015, 11:40:39 am »

@RC: Well, the problem with machine empathetic amps is how they could work, since they require you to actually understand all those electrical signals and understand what they do. From what I understand, the mind-control amp does that by using a list of archetypes to find a way to put a copy of the important parts of the mind you are trying to control inside your own brain so that you can understand them and manipulate them directly combined with a bit of whatever soul magic the amp uses. And even then not all aliens can be analysed and controlled.

However, doing something like having an amp that can control machines would probably be a lot harder. Sure, you could use the electric amp to mess with its outputs and inputs but actually understanding what the electricity going through those transistors means is going to be a bit hard (if they even use transistors and not something more advanced), more so because machines (or at least the machines we have today) work quite differently from brains. They're a lot more precise, a lot less fault tolerant, they work with a central clock instead of concurrently (of course, there are experiments for concurrent fault-tolerant neural-like circuitry, like the one IBM released recently, but they're little more than things for academic research right now and even they are quite different from brains). Creating an amp like that would require a way for the amp to make those things understandable for the user, it would require something like putting a modified and simplified copy of its circuitry inside your brain in a form you can understand. More than that, since there are few standards with machines and an enemy can quickly create new ones or change their technology to adapt, the amp would require a way for it to understand what the inputs and outputs do. After all, living things may be complex and diverse but in the end most of them have a simple purpose and goal and a certain number of ways to achieve that goal. Not to mention that space magic might not like machines or might not be able to understand them the same way it seems to be able to do with brains.

The best way to solve that problem for amps would be to put something like an AI (along with a large database to assist it) in there that can sort through the signals, figure out what they mean and pass them to the user in a form they can understand. However that sounds like something that would take a lot of space in one's brain and/or be a lot dangerous. The alternative would be to temporarily give control of your body to Steve so he can do the work for you, but that causes brain damage and is unusable when Steve is not around (because of things like anomalies, for example).

However, the far better solution would be to make this a mix between a computer, a simple AI and a manipulator, a tool that requires both Aux and Uncon. The manipulator could be a combination of electric, magnetic and matter converter, since those seem to be the things one would need to analyze and control most machines. You use the manipulator to sense the machine you are trying to analyse/control and create a copy of it in some sort of memory of the manipulator. Then the computer on board does its best to figure out what the data retrieved mean and what the machine does and tries to translate it into something the user can understand and alter (If it's something made by humans, it should be fairly easy, just create a copy of the material in question (something like a memory dump and a copy of the hard drive that also includes info about the hardware), try to account for any unexpected changes and try to figure out (or at least get some hints about) what it does to make it easier for the user to complete the analysis.) Then all the user has to do is edit that, changing either the software or the hardware to achieve what they want, similar to how the God Machine Kriellya's character built worked, but more mundane (no rewriting the brains of humans to create drones or abominations (although I guess a demoniacally possessed toaster of sorts is possible in the case of an overload)).

Plus, it makes a nice antithesis:

A manipulator cannot be used to mind control someone because the brain is too complex to be understood just by looking at the data it provides, it's much easier to understand it instinctively as an extension of your mind and body. And you need to have some empathy and ability to persuade too (Charisma).

A machine is too different from a brain to be understood instinctively as an extension of its body, not without some time to look at it and figure out what it does with your intelligence, to analyse the code and hardware and put together what it does and how to get it to do what you want. Thus you are required to use a manipulator and have some skill with machines in the first place (Aux).

So people who want to mind control machines go for Uncon, Aux and Intelligence (even though Intelligence is no longer a thing. Maybe general knowledge would help?) while those who want to control living things go for Exotic, Charisma and Will.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:49:35 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:53 pm »

Well, as I said originally (well, edited it in after a minute, not sure if you saw) I agree that it should be for manips and not amps, both for contrast sake and that a machine might be hard to 'emulate' for a brain (then again, that can be handwaved with 'because space magic'). However, I'm not sure if the setup with ai and computer would be really needed. Now, I know working with computer software is a tad bit more complicated than just typing a 'lel kill sods dead' line of code somewhere and expect it to work, but I think we can say the manip is calibrated to translate input and output appropriately to handle 'incompatibility issues' (like how someone using a fleshwarp amp doesn't need to know at all how an arm really works, he just has the concept of a working arm and the amp places all the needed tissue where needed) though of course the user still needs some tech knowledge to make it work (hence aux stat requirement). Though that would probably just work out to the same end result game-mechanics wise compared to adding a computer and ai to help, so the difference might be moot.

Not sure if straight hardware changes should be possible though, or to what extent. Or what did you have in mind with that?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: March 31, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »

Just to mention it since I think it has not been revealed anywhere in game yet (only on IRC last time): organo-line manipulators apparently do exist (i.e. not even "theoretical, but impractical, so we don't make them"), and where the amps required Cha, these require Med. Their exact downside is that they have (undefined) troubles at continuing space-magic influence (keeping the "spell" running), but apparently one-time changes (say, irreversible or something - those that don't require continuous support) are okay.

Also, I think that an Aux-augmented brain would have no trouble mind-controlling a computer, since it's a living computer either. Not sure how practical that is.

Oh, and by the way - isn't the new electro-amp capable of of controlling computers already? I mean, I considered trying it with a magnetic amp at some point, and with a direct electricity-controlling amp it'd be even simpler.
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 2205