Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356852 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2130 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:57 pm »

We'll do it in the showers kitchen.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:57 pm »

Um, how do you intend to cancel out the quantum effects? Donate him to the Doc?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 01, 2014, 11:55:40 pm »

I don't!
Just keep punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and...

Man, this news has me more amused than anything in weeks.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 01, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »

Well, if you want to try some !!SCIENCE!! make a Xanling do the devouring.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 01, 2014, 11:58:43 pm »

Do you really want Quantum Xan I'm gonna do it when I get back.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:55 pm »

Do you really want Quantum Xan
Hence, why I said getting a Xanling to do it on his behalf.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:23 am »

Um, how do you intend to cancel out the quantum effects? Donate him to the Doc?
Why would we cancel it out? Persinally id exploit it so that we can take turns murdering him in various amusing and scientific ways.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 02, 2014, 12:02:38 am »

How about using him to test the effects of Timmy? Or try and get the Doc to turn him into an amp?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 02, 2014, 12:41:50 am »

The balance of power has shifted.
Grate's been whistling every time someone mentioned the manipulator battery incident for months now, and whenever someone threatens to kill him over it (he wouldn't be harmed, after all) he threatens to get Jim to kill the attacker.
Only now SC's sanctioning it.
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Judging by all the people clamoring for his blood, I guess this is quite the occurrence. Although it seems a bit strange considering I was prior told people were saddened at his first death, but I can understand the whistling getting aggravating if he kept it up for months.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 02, 2014, 12:45:22 am »

People were upset after the first death because he didn't recklessly perform an extremely bad idea that caused significant quantities of collateral damage and a lengthy clean up. He then proceeded to do so and his player ended up being a bit too smug and annoying for his own good.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2140 on: April 02, 2014, 04:41:25 am »

Wasn't there already an RTD about punching GWG? Looks like the need to punch GWG is so large that it has started spreading into other threads...

And since nobody replied to my argument, I declare myself the victor and the king of the part of the intertubes south of Bay12.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:32 am »

His post count acts as padding :P

Nah, it's just kinda funny how boasting backfires on occasion.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:26 am »

As well as the desire to perform some !!SCIENCE!! on Grate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 02, 2014, 08:29:54 am »

At least, that's my opinion.  Kri might be different.  I am kinda arguing in their place.
Kri stated a different opinion, which I was pointing out was kinda silly.

Quote from: GWG
And why is that? What makes you you? Why do the clones' changes make it not-you, but your changes--which are not inherently more or less changing than the clone's--leave you you?
Hmm.  I'm pretty sure this has been stated every possible way by now.  I'm beginning to think our minds simply work differently.
[/quote]
Possibly. Or, it's possible that you've never explained it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Actually, there's one more way to put it: the idea is, a creature 'dying' (brain completely ceasing to function) causes it to no longer be that creaure.  It has ended.  Died.  You can make a copy, but it isn't the same creature.  It's a different thing experiencing stuff.
So, you're with the "continuity of brain" thing.
Did you know that your brain also replaces its bits? Not as much as other parts of the body, certainly, but it does.

I'll say again, for all logical intents and purposes, there is no difference between the critters.  They are the same thing.  But from an emotional/philosophical PoV, the first has died, and the second is a mimic.
Why? Why is the second inherently so different from the first? You've been saying they are, but you've never said why.

...Which is?
Because the clones still die.  They're just replaced by a different clone.  A clone which is a clone of the original branch no less, so this argument is irrelevant to whether or not he's immortal.
Only if you consider clones to be completely different people, which is an argument no one has been able to maintain without basically saying "they're different because it's a different body/brain/whatever!"

Grate's been whistling every time someone mentioned the manipulator battery incident for months now...
Nope. Only me.
So if you need to take your vengeance, you'll need to come to me.

If GWG wants to be smug and annoying he can fend for himself.
I'm willing to do this, but if you drag Grate into this I will make a string of characters who are even more annoying than whistling 24/7. And I will whistle at everything just to annoy you.
You have been warned.

He then proceeded to do so and his player ended up being a bit too smug and annoying for his own good.
So why are you punishing Grate?

Nah, it's just kinda funny how boasting backfires on occasion.
...How is the whistling boasting?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 02, 2014, 09:04:54 am »

Possibly. Or, it's possible that you've never explained it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yes we have.  You just disagree with all our explanations.  We don't.  Therefore, there must be something in our heads that ticks to a different tempo.  *shrug*

Quote from: syvarris
Actually, there's one more way to put it: the idea is, a creature 'dying' (brain completely ceasing to function) causes it to no longer be that creaure.  It has ended.  Died.  You can make a copy, but it isn't the same creature.  It's a different thing experiencing stuff.
So, you're with the "continuity of brain" thing.Did you know that your brain also replaces its bits? Not as much as other parts of the body, certainly, but it does.

No.  You're ignoring what you're quoting again.

I said "completely ceasing to function".  In this instance, the thing that is the person is the function of the brain, not the brain itself.  If you completely break the brain, then rebuild it with the same cells, the person's "different".  If you slowly replace all the cells with quantum supercomputers without ever turning it off, it's the same person.  Hell, replace them with a planet sized computer that uses terrified goblins as transistors.  Still the same guy if you never shut him off or change him too much (a different way of changing who it is :P).

Why? Why is the second inherently so different from the first? You've been saying they are, but you've never said why.

I have said why they're different many times.  Just, none of my explanations for why are satisfactory to you.  Maybe if we go deeper...

Define "different person".   What seperates two people?

Only if you consider clones to be completely different people, which is an argument no one has been able to maintain without basically saying "they're different because it's a different body/brain/whatever!"

Eh, I mindlessly believe in a lot of stuff I can't logically prove.  For example: why is happiness good?

@Paris
Oh, I could easily do the same thing I'm doing with GWG with you.  As I said before, I enjoy pointlessly arguing over semantics.  I just didn't 'cause it seemed to be addressed to Kri.

Want me to?
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 2205