Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2353675 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2790 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »

Honestly, I found the whole thing pretty hilarious. I eventually stopped reading but just opened to see the spoilers and realize, "Damn, these mofos' still going at it."

I remember a time on a school trip where we stayed at a nice hotel overnight, half-a-dozen of us to a room. My friends and I slept in the living area while two kids, one being a cunning exchange student from Nigeria and the other being a large lumbering man-child-baby hybrid, took the two beds in the bedroom. Needless to say, they were at odds with each other. Throughout the whole night, those two kept arguing and debating and so on. This went on for hours, while my friends and I couldn't stop laughing. The exchange student would switch between criticizing the brute in philosophical fields like morality and exsistenrialism, and trivial shit like berating him for not confessing his love to various girls; all this while the collosaus screamed and bellowed.

Man, what a good time.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: April 15, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »

Their gunners can't be such bad shots as to miss a planet, can they?

Did they go to the same gunnery school as our artillery?

I don't think it's that hard to miss a planet. Doesn't rocket science involve quite a bit of learning on how not to miss a planet? Planets are like fast and tiny little bastard fish in the vast gulf of space, after all.

Although they could probably hit something else on the way if they're shooting from orbit. Like one of their own ships, for instance, especially if their targeting computers are top-of-the-line Hephaestus software.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »

Also, there's likely little room for precision aiming.  Given the description of the main gun Lars saw, it's likely that it simply fires in the direction the ship is pointing, which is big and lumbering.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2793 on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »

The Amp user is standing right next to me and he has a mere +1/3 bonus.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: April 15, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

Yeah. I'd also rather avoid having him use his amp without a dynamic bonus. Because it's an amp and ones are very dangerous.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: April 15, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »

Speaking of amps and cameras, the H-team still has those two mapping drones with the modified OS. They provide an automatic +/-1 dynamic Aux bonus to using them, and allow manipulator/amp users to target through their camera feeds with precision. Normally cameras aren't so great for amp targeting - you never really know where the target is, unless you know exactly where the camera is in relation to you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2796 on: April 15, 2014, 03:13:04 pm »

I guess they're better for manipulators where you can directly input coordinates, since amps rely on the user's spatial awareness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: April 15, 2014, 03:18:58 pm »

I guess they're better for manipulators where you can directly input coordinates, since amps rely on the user's spatial awareness.
Yeah, mostly meant for manipulators - amp users would require some kind of prior training. Anton's not exactly on good terms with space magic nowadays (excepting that which is straightforward in operation), but for a brief time he had a manipulator and that's what he intended the function to be used with.

Unrelatedly, I think Anton's little accident so far marks the only instance when a manipulator was involved in taking off someone's limb without involving space magic.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »

I don't think it's that hard to miss a planet. Doesn't rocket science involve quite a bit of learning on how not to miss a planet? Planets are like fast and tiny little bastard fish in the vast gulf of space, after all.
Hitting a planet is easy enough, if you're in orbit. Therefore, missing is hard.
It depends on how far away they are, and if you count "hit the wrong continent" as a hit or a miss.

Although they could probably hit something else on the way if they're shooting from orbit. Like one of their own ships, for instance, especially if their targeting computers are top-of-the-line Hephaestus software.
Not likely unless they're using that software.
Yeah...Hephaestus is good with hardware but sucks at software.

Also, there's likely little room for precision aiming.  Given the description of the main gun Lars saw, it's likely that it simply fires in the direction the ship is pointing, which is big and lumbering.
They wouldn't shoot if they weren't aimed. Unless they were hoping for a little acceleration. Even so, a good burst of speed roughly towards the planet should lead to aerobraking sooner or later, followed at some point by lithobraking.

Unrelatedly, I think Anton's little accident so far marks the only instance when a manipulator was involved in taking off someone's limb without involving space magic.
Story time?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

They wouldn't shoot if they weren't aimed. Unless they were hoping for a little acceleration. Even so, a good burst of speed roughly towards the planet should lead to aerobraking sooner or later, followed at some point by lithobraking.
I see your KSP let's play has thought you some terminology and such. Good for you!

Honestly, I found the whole thing pretty hilarious. I eventually stopped reading but just opened to see the spoilers and realize, "Damn, these mofos' still going at it."
Same, but I actually read through all of it. Pretty damn funny, how they forgot half their points or what they were arguing about somewhere midway, yet just kept steaming on. Can't stop the groove train baby.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:22 pm »

Story time?

If I remember correctly, he crushed a manipulator or it's battery (or both) under the heel of his boot. It exploded :P

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:48 pm »

Story time?

If I remember correctly, he crushed a manipulator or it's battery (or both) under the heel of his boot. It exploded :P
And peppered several people with shrapnel.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »

Anton whips around in the doorway and looks at Steve's avatar, doing his best to manage a death glare through the opaque faceplate of his suit. He takes out his Microwave Manipulator, holding it like one would a grenade.

"If these are such dangers, that it takes ignorance to protect us from their nature.." He throws the manipulator at his feet with force. "..then why do you even allow them to be used?!" With that, Anton crushes the device under the heel of his prosthetic foot, and stomps off to the Rec Room, plugging into VR.

Battle of Hexbarax, Front Line. Armament: Melee Battlesuit. Allies: personal clones in four Battlesuits of various configurations.

"Some times, I feel justified in disliking the company of people. Bring it, uglies."

Charge.

((note: complete the action regardless of whether crushing the MFM is successful. Just leave it there if it doesn't break))
(oh dear.)
[str:6+1]
You throw the manipulator to the ground and do a massive double footed stomp down onto it. It crushes beneath you feet and then promptly explodes with force greater then a hand grenade.
[end:5]
You're hurled back, both feet broken, shrapnel wounds all over your legs and lower body, but luckily nothing life threatening. Steve is wearing a bemused look on his face when the smoke clears, a few bits of metal embedded in him as well.

>Admittedly, I did just get done telling you about how they self destruct if their internal structure is breached.
he says, pulling a shard of metal out of his arm and lazily flicking it at you.

Mostly himself.  Not as bad as the OTHER shrapnel.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:27 pm »

I see your KSP let's play has thought you some terminology and such. Good for you!
Indeed. Although I'd actually known the terms before I started, just without using them much.
The difference between "hardware-assisted lithobraking" and "litho breaking all by hardware" came up recently. (The main engine of a Minmal lander ran dry earlier than expected, and I landed without enough fuel to return. If I had hardware-assisted lithobraked, I would have more fuel and less weight.)

Same, but I actually read through all of it. Pretty damn funny, how they forgot half their points or what they were arguing about somewhere midway, yet just kept steaming on. Can't stop the groove train baby.
Stubbornness is an amazing thing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:03 pm »

((Uh, guys?  Shouldn't all this be in OOC?))
((This isn't ER.))
It takes place in the ER universe and is in the ER subforum. Its name is ER: Dead Man Running. So yes it is part of Einsteinian Roulette.

((I've seen people mentioning arm cannons. Do we have those already?))
Yes. That's what the shackle is.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 2205