Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356192 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #30510 on: May 14, 2016, 01:20:33 pm »

-snip-
Just wanna state that I actually enjoy reading your infinity+1 shields. And I agree, thinking of how to deal with things is enjoyable in and of itself.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30511 on: May 14, 2016, 01:26:37 pm »

I'm a newbie so I probably have a different perspective, but I've had a ton of fun making Trier into a ARMless crystal monster.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #30512 on: May 14, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »

I'm a newbie so I probably have a different perspective, but I've had a ton of fun making Trier into a ARMless crystal monster.
Same making Jack into the flying comunist knight with his loyal steed!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #30513 on: May 14, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »

:(

I'm sorry for being one of the largest problems, at least on M26.  As others have said, building the infinity+1 shield is just natural to me, and is actually fun besides.  I didn't mean to lower the overall quality of the gameplay, and I'm perfectly fine with limiting myself to improve it.

In case it's any consolation, I've been enjoying M26.  Even the alien god, while excessive, has been fun--I'm just worried about failing and ending the entire mission for everyone.  I think other people have been having fun, at least with the universe explorations.  We don't really need to be in danger of death to have fun, because thinking of how to deal with each universe, and then implementing plans, is actually enjoyable.  At least for me, and I think some other people in M26.
There's nothing wrong with your attempts to be safety minded I just don't know a way to get around them without it being bullshit.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #30514 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:30 pm »

One thing I  can see coming up for m26 is that with out hyphestius, they won't have all the limitless resources they have right now, just near limitless.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30515 on: May 14, 2016, 01:51:24 pm »

There's nothing wrong with your attempts to be safety minded I just don't know a way to get around them without it being bullshit.

You don't need to rubberband danger. If people are OP, let them be OP and run rings around eldritch horrors, reeling militaries and feckless civilians. It's the end of the game. Some payoff is to be expected.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30516 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:34 pm »

I just want to make sure the players have fun and increasingly they seem bored or not sure what to do.
They are bored. I'm bored
Lyra is designed to be a scout.
Lyra has no armor - therefore she is not allowed to scout.
Armor is overpowered to hell, so I refuse to give Lyra armor.
-----
Lyra never will be allowed to fill her role.

also, we never use scouting. but that's because of the mission types we get and how we always have orbital surveilance or it's an anomoly mission so we always move in a giant ball of guns because to be isolated is to die from passive terrain-hazards that aren't visibly threatening and so scouting is both useless because it won't detect the threats and suicidal because the scout is isolating themselves and will be passive-attacked no matter how stealthy and cautious they are.

also, putting a military-style chain of command in a game like this utterly destroys the gameplay value because anyone who isn't at the top (read: 95% of players) don't get to make decisions that actually matter. on this note, Miya can go to hell. He's doing the smart thing, but the smart thing also makes the game no fun. This is especially true because the pissbag has access to the character's implants, giving him an excuse to know-all, and the ability to prevent anyone from doing anything he doesn't approve of. The arguemnt RC and I had in the trial thread shouldn't have even been possible to have. Miya is a sack of shit that is making the game no fun to play simply by existing, and for this sin Miya (not RC) has earned Lenglon's (not Lyra's) eternal ire.

I miss the HMRC when players were actually allowed to play the god damn game. ARM isn't fun

I may have some standing rage over this issue. sorry if I went overboard here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:32:57 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #30517 on: May 14, 2016, 02:09:51 pm »

Umm.  Well, Leng, at least in Oro you'll be able to play a scouting archetype without any problem, since that fits the game.  And Oro won't have the same chain of command--at most, it'll be a physical chain that the leader beats people with to show that he's in command.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30518 on: May 14, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »

They are bored.
I'm fairly sure not everyone is bored.

Like syv said, ORO seems like it will fix a lot of the things you're unhappy with.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30519 on: May 14, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »

They are bored.
I'm fairly sure not everyone is bored.

Like syv said, ORO seems like it will fix a lot of the things you're unhappy with.
I hope it does.

But Pan, how many players have gone idle waiting for anything to happen? how many have stopped bothering to read most of the threads? If it's not boring, then why is about half the playerbase not even keeping up with what is going on?

remember that people that respond to questions like "are you bored" are going to be biased in favor of those that bother to read the questions anymore because they aren't as bored as those that aren't.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30520 on: May 14, 2016, 02:29:26 pm »

I hope it does.

But Pan, how many players have gone idle waiting for anything to happen? how many have stopped bothering to read most of the threads? If it's not boring, then why is about half the playerbase not even keeping up with what is going on?

remember that people that respond to questions like "are you bored" are going to be biased in favor of those that bother to read the questions anymore because they aren't as bored as those that aren't.
You're saying that like it's a problem specific to ER. People go idle/stop reading threads in every rtd/forum game I've seen. Players have been going braindead in ER long before any of the current things were happening. If they get bored when nothing amazing happens for a few turns and immediatly give up on playing, that's their choice.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30521 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

I hope it does.

You're saying that like it's a problem specific to ER. People go idle/stop reading threads in every rtd/forum game I've seen. Players have been going braindead in ER long before any of the current things were happening. If they get bored when nothing amazing happens for a few turns and immediatly give up on playing, that's their choice.
fair point.
Okay, well, I'm bored. That's still a fair statement. But you're right, I can't speak for others, if others are bored they'll have to say so themselves.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30522 on: May 14, 2016, 03:06:26 pm »

I've been popping on a little less because there isn't much to do yeah, but again, I'm fine with it because I know were wrapping up. Another reason we are being so safe with M26 is that we haven't found many viable universes outside orgy-verse, and fucking this up before that could end the game in a shitty way for everyone, so I personally would be totally cool with Radio's idea of a time skip forward with a couple of universes you have tailored to be challenging to different players. I would even go so far as to say YOU choose the team roster for the last set of missions, so you can tailor these universes to what you know of the current players. The last round of missions could be us set in each universe with a colony ship and an EUE, and having to keep everyone alive long enough to find a good location for the eue and to set it up. That would also allow some missions to fail without completely dooming everyone. Just an Idea
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30524 on: May 14, 2016, 04:34:33 pm »

I'm actually enjoying Mission 26, even though my character isn't particularly suited for it. I wish we had more opportunities for non-abstracted exploration, though... although that's mostly our fault for using probes instead of people.

Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 2205