Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2064 2065 [2066] 2067 2068 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356878 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #30975 on: May 27, 2016, 09:51:10 pm »

Why don't we try sending anonymouse drones outwards at first to find out who own orgy-verse, and then, try and open communications using a similar process to comunicate with spyder verse
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30976 on: May 27, 2016, 09:53:42 pm »

My current new plan Spaz is to start a colony outside of their influence range so that we can get a foothold before we do ANY communication, and without them realizing we even exist. Most likely I'll ask PW to roll some cha rolls at the epilogue and present my defense for a truce and see how it pans out in the epilogue =P
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30977 on: May 27, 2016, 09:58:35 pm »

My current new plan Spaz is to start a colony outside of their influence range so that we can get a foothold before we do ANY communication, and without them realizing we even exist. Most likely I'll ask PW to roll some cha rolls at the epilogue and present my defense for a truce and see how it pans out in the epilogue =P
Just tell them we know how to destroy their universe and will do so if they attack us. We'll use Sexualy Transmited Universal Prime eradictaion devices, or as I call them STUPIDS
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30978 on: May 27, 2016, 10:10:15 pm »

Threatening to destroy the universe doesn't work unless you mean it, and we want this universe soooo...
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30979 on: May 27, 2016, 10:18:10 pm »

Threatening to destroy the universe doesn't work unless you mean it, and we want this universe soooo...
I have an ideal, creat a huge chain of pocket universes that are set to go through each other.  Have the parts for one pocket universe machine in another
So you have pu1->pu2->pu3->pu4
Pu4 contains parts to acess pu1 and to make another new pocket universe.  It will also have tons of supplies to run a new search of universe exploration in pu 5 and 6 for some time.
Build and connect pu4 to pu1, destroy acess out side pocket universe chain to pu1
Use death cube to make coppies of wish orbsa and brains with high exo and mond
Have high mind and exo brains use copy orbs so that if stuff goes wrong it will transport colony to pu4, sumon lurker, shadow, and eater of cold to universe and destroy any form of intergalatic transportation in universe outside wish orbs. 

Also start drone mining oporation in cavern verse.

GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30980 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

It seems I jumped the gun spaz, you probably have time
I .... I'm so frustrated right now.

Missed this part of your message earlier. Sorry about frustrating you D=

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30981 on: May 27, 2016, 10:36:45 pm »

Also to those concerned, I said warn them that we'ddestroy their universe. I meant it as a last resort and a more MAD aproach to things.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:53:57 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #30982 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »

Quote from: Ozark
There is a difference between a PvP game in which everything the players have is overpowered, and a PvE game in which everything the players have is overpowered.

I think the general solution is for PW to say "no, you can't do that" a lot more, and to essentially nerf advancement to suit his needs. In some games, characters can advance rapidly, becoming hardly recognizable befoer long. In others, Characters are not dramatically different, even at endgame. both types can be challenging and fun, but it is harder for a game that allows rapid powerdul leveling to remain challenging without becoming ridiculous. And the seting here is different than ER - we have a single city to battle, not the entire universe and more to play in.

All quite true, I was just taking PW's question at face value.  A more relevant answer might have been "Basically everything in Perplexicon was overpowered, don't ever give people such freedom", but that's boring.

I think it is much easier to take lessons from ER.  Firstly, don't let people have powerful abilities that they can use with 100% reliability--no amps, or +4 abilities in general.  Secondly, make sure they are always vulnerable to damage--no battlesuits.  Thirdly, don't let people have creativity to make their own things--no tinker.

Now, people must always accept risk when they get into a fight.  They risk being hurt, and they risk not being able to kill their foes.  The removal of those two risks is what made combat in ER so cheap.

We're not doing that. this is the one, absolute best universe we have found for humanity to live in. We are faced with a Galactic empire that doesn't want humanity to develop higher level brain functions. We are refugees, they are at home in a galaxy they control. we are trying to not start a war which will inevitably wipe out anything we send into their territory. And we are Not About to Drop Eldritch Nightmares Into The Universes We Are Trying To ColonizeTm

...You're right in that we really shouldn't attack yet, but for the sake of argument I must point out that a war wouldn't be unwinnable.  Consider our technologies:
  • Hexsand: Extremely light armor that is nigh-immune to energy weapons, and which reflects no light, rendering any spaceship armored with it practically invisible.
  • Force Infusers: Reactionless thrusters, basically.  They can be kept entirely internal, they can be charged to an arbitrary extent, they can be charged from pure electricity with extreme efficiency, and they're practically weightless.
  • Extra-Universal Engines: Instantaneous teleportation cheaply attached to all ships, which can teleport them in and out of danger with impunity
  • Pocket Dimensions: We can open and close portals to pocket dimensions, as long as the portals are within visual range, with exceptional accuracy.  In other words, you can open a portal right next to an enemy ship, and open a second portal right in front of your gun, and BAM!  FTL bullets.  Make the intermediate pocket dimension long, and carefully manage when you open portals, and it becomes impossible for your enemy to shoot through them.
Carefully used, these technologies should make it nigh impossible for us to lose a space battle, regardless of how severely we're outnumbered.  At worst, we simply wouldn't have enough bullets to kill all our foes.  Pocket dimensions are the strongest tech, but even if they don't work the other three techs are so OP it barely matters.

...Also, if pocket dimensions do work, I think I just solved the problem of EUE transfers being highly inaccurate. O.O

Quote from: Kedly
I agree with the other two's caution. Not only is this universe relatively harmless, it supports Origin tech. Humanity could rebound to full power VERY quickly in this universe. Best to avoid messing up our beginning foothold in this universe by pissing off a significant enemy before we even have a planet

I am very relieved that you aren't too upset.  I don't like outright restricting other players from doing things, but I felt it was necessary to do in this case.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30983 on: May 27, 2016, 11:59:35 pm »

Meh, I'm just more restless to get the expedition started. My frustration lies with myself for not properly communicating my plan. Had I properly communicated, I could have done what I am doing now during the last turn. Which is finding a safe launch point so we don't make contact with whatever is controlling Orgy Humans

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #30984 on: May 28, 2016, 12:28:31 am »

It seems I jumped the gun spaz, you probably have time
I .... I'm so frustrated right now.

Missed this part of your message earlier. Sorry about frustrating you D=
It wasn't just you, lol. It was that I have been reexplaining what is going on in Orgyverse in three different threads. I had literally just posted my response to you and syv in m26 thread wen I read that, and spaz's comments and so forth. I just felt like I was swimming upstream there. it happens sometimes.

I do hope my incursions aren't stepping on toes. There's a reason I'm doing everything personally and from the ground - to maintain anonymity. So far the not-deathstar seems autonomous. And that is good news. But srsly, let me know if you want me to pull out. Ryan wouldn't be happy at all, but I'm comfortable pulling out.
We'll probably not need to pull you out since we're sticking it into all the cosmic orifaces we can find in this universe. it'll be fiiiiiiiine.

There is a difference between a PvP game in which everything the players have is overpowered, and a PvE game in which everything the players have is overpowered.

I think the general solution is for PW to say "no, you can't do that" a lot more, and to essentially nerf advancement to suit his needs. In some games, characters can advance rapidly, becoming hardly recognizable befoer long. In others, Characters are not dramatically different, even at endgame. both types can be challenging and fun, but it is harder for a game that allows rapid powerdul leveling to remain challenging without becoming ridiculous. And the seting here is different than ER - we have a single city to battle, not the entire universe and more to play in.

All quite true, I was just taking PW's question at face value.  A more relevant answer might have been "Basically everything in Perplexicon was overpowered, don't ever give people such freedom", but that's boring.

I think it is much easier to take lessons from ER.  Firstly, don't let people have powerful abilities that they can use with 100% reliability--no amps, or +4 abilities in general.  Secondly, make sure they are always vulnerable to damage--no battlesuits.  Thirdly, don't let people have creativity to make their own things--no tinker.

Now, people must always accept risk when they get into a fight.  They risk being hurt, and they risk not being able to kill their foes.  The removal of those two risks is what made combat in ER so cheap.

We're not doing that. this is the one, absolute best universe we have found for humanity to live in. We are faced with a Galactic empire that doesn't want humanity to develop higher level brain functions. We are refugees, they are at home in a galaxy they control. we are trying to not start a war which will inevitably wipe out anything we send into their territory. And we are Not About to Drop Eldritch Nightmares Into The Universes We Are Trying To ColonizeTm

...You're right in that we really shouldn't attack yet, but for the sake of argument I must point out that a war wouldn't be unwinnable.  Consider our technologies:
  • Hexsand: Extremely light armor that is nigh-immune to energy weapons, and which reflects no light, rendering any spaceship armored with it practically invisible.
  • Force Infusers: Reactionless thrusters, basically.  They can be kept entirely internal, they can be charged to an arbitrary extent, they can be charged from pure electricity with extreme efficiency, and they're practically weightless.
  • Extra-Universal Engines: Instantaneous teleportation cheaply attached to all ships, which can teleport them in and out of danger with impunity
  • Pocket Dimensions: We can open and close portals to pocket dimensions, as long as the portals are within visual range, with exceptional accuracy.  In other words, you can open a portal right next to an enemy ship, and open a second portal right in front of your gun, and BAM!  FTL bullets.  Make the intermediate pocket dimension long, and carefully manage when you open portals, and it becomes impossible for your enemy to shoot through them.
Carefully used, these technologies should make it nigh impossible for us to lose a space battle, regardless of how severely we're outnumbered.  At worst, we simply wouldn't have enough bullets to kill all our foes.  Pocket dimensions are the strongest tech, but even if they don't work the other three techs are so OP it barely matters.

...Also, if pocket dimensions do work, I think I just solved the problem of EUE transfers being highly inaccurate. O.O
AS for PW's question, I was just throwing an alternate set of answers at it, not disagreeing with your answers or the other peoples' answers.

As for being able to win a war with that civilization - I never meant to imply that I felt it would be impossible. I believe humanity has a good chance there. Mypoint was always "now is not the time. Circumstances are not favorable. We have other things to do."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30985 on: May 28, 2016, 03:07:10 am »

While it's true we have some awesome tech, and a war might not be unwinnable, we'd still be at a large disadvantage, at least initially. Seeing as how the enemy is well established and probably has better knowledge of the territory, and our supply lines literally run across a universe (in which things aren't exactly terrific either) until we're set up here we'd be facing significant strategic difficulties. Not to mention they might have bullshit OP magics/tech themselves, ans since they have an Origin said magics can be as ridiculous as needed. For all we know they have ghostship-equivalents that simply sense an enemies' presence and then just transmute the reactor into a fusion bomb over large distances.

Ah, another person discovers the fun of lolportalling around  :P

Anyways, do remember that portals can't be activated away from their remote infinitely far, even when you know the destination coordinates. For example, pw said I couldn't portal to things on the other side of the planet, even if I knew the exact numbers to put in. But if someone on the other side of said planet has a remote themselves, then it does become possible since they can open the second portal locally. That might've been a gameplay restriction though, we'd have to check. Still could be convenient in terms of inter-universal transportation if you're going to a fixed location far a way from the universal teleport origin and there is a portal open at your destination for the pocket dimension you have a remote to yourself.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:09:26 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30986 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:02 am »

So did anyone actually figure out why the initial cave in orgyverse was inhabited by a lot of naked women?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30987 on: May 28, 2016, 03:30:51 am »

Local nudist beach is where my money is at.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30988 on: May 28, 2016, 03:42:52 am »

Some kinda pleasure-world?

A trap? Perhaps Orgyverse have superior tech, can control where our portals open. Perhaps they got humans from our universe.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30989 on: May 28, 2016, 04:09:04 am »

Should probably re-read Perplexicon one of these days.
I vaguely remember hard-moding it as a hulking barbarian type with no time for silly magic stuff.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2064 2065 [2066] 2067 2068 ... 2205