Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356754 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32715 on: September 28, 2016, 02:30:40 pm »

Hmm.  Other potential issues are that there's no reason to take weaker parts if there's better stuff available.  Some stuff is just trash that you'll replace as soon as you have better parts, with the possible exception of tacking it on outside the normal body plan.

Also, this means that you're perfectly free to have only one human body part, and be full demon otherwise, at level one--assuming you have the parts.  Of course, that does present danger due to very low humanity, and you'll instadie if an enemy gets a lucky hit on that single part.  I'm not entirely sure that's a sufficient tradeoff, though.
It would also mean that you'd be basically unable to do any humanity draining abilities.

That seems like a fine trade off.

Here's "some" examples of how I think weapons could work:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn, I ended up writing more than I expected. :P Mouse over the tags in [brackets] for descriptions.
Also, keep in mind that I'm officially terrible at balancing things, so this is very likely NOT syvproof.

Edit: OH YES! I should probably explain some of that. :P In my imagination, aimed attacks can target weapons and deal damage to them, just like bodyparts. HitPoints is the amount of damage it takes to destroy it, and ToDisarm is the amount of damage needed to simply knock it out of the user's hands. I did this because weapons that are bodyparts have HP, and I didn't want implanted weapons to be inferior to held weapons in that way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:39:35 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32716 on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »

What of a parrying dagger, something similar to a weaker dex based dagger that can prrovide half the shield's defense.
Perhaps a parry roll for defense and potential bonus to disarming someone.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32717 on: September 28, 2016, 02:44:36 pm »

Hmm, not sure how I feel about parries. Isn't that kinda the same thing as dodging? maybe something like this:

[Parry]: Once per turn, if you successfully dodge an attack, immediately make your own attack with a +10 bonus.

Then again, that could get a little OP. What happens when you hold two parrying daggers? If dodges are the main form of defence in this game, doesn't that make a parrying dagger ideal for any build?
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32718 on: September 28, 2016, 03:24:35 pm »

Hmm, not sure how I feel about parries. Isn't that kinda the same thing as dodging? maybe something like this:

[Parry]: Once per turn, if you successfully dodge an attack, immediately make your own attack with a +10 bonus.

Then again, that could get a little OP. What happens when you hold two parrying daggers? If dodges are the main form of defence in this game, doesn't that make a parrying dagger ideal for any build?
Make them 1/4 as strong as shields, use dex for attack and defend have about the same damage as 1/2 knife. Something meant for off hand to be used in cunjunction with a one handed sword to block, catch, and disarm a foe
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32719 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »

Make parry only work if you hold it in the limb you dodge with, and you can't parry more than one attack.  That means parry effectively costs an extra part on your dodging limb, and is only a bonus on your first dodge.  If you add a second parrying dagger, it has to be on another limb, which will also be worse at dodging than a pure-dodge limb, so multiple parries are very expensive.

Make it give a +10 or +20 to your next melee attack against that foe, if it is your next action--do something else, and you lose the bonus.  Also, make the parrying dagger a dex weapon with low damage, so that it doesn't benefit significantly from the parry itself.  That means you need to wield a str weapon if you really want to capitalize on the benefit.

Finally, my phone browsing habits make me mildly annoyed at your use of abbr, despite the inherent aesthetic benefit and efficiency of the tag. >:(

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32720 on: September 28, 2016, 05:30:17 pm »

My strategy has kinda been broken, since i added the clockwork arm and the porcelain head. I forgot that humanity dropped per part removed. I kinda want to go back and rebuild.

Plus, writhe of flesh seems almost useless with this team set up, as there are very few parts the other team has that increase a stat. So, like, all my parts are less than ideal at the moment.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32721 on: September 28, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »

My strategy has kinda been broken, since i added the clockwork arm and the porcelain head. I forgot that humanity dropped per part removed. I kinda want to go back and rebuild.

Plus, writhe of flesh seems almost useless with this team set up, as there are very few parts the other team has that increase a stat. So, like, all my parts are less than ideal at the moment.
Rebuild real quick then.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32722 on: September 28, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »

That's kinda funny, as the primary reason I joined Red team was that I was afraid of you WOFing my shin tentacles.

If you do rebuild, I suggest you only use upper limb parts.  Lower limbs grant less stat bonus and have less HP, while costing the same amount.  There's little reason to use a clockwork hand.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #32723 on: September 28, 2016, 05:55:00 pm »

inb4 everyone starts constantly rebuilding to build the perfect counter for their opponent. In the end their designs will evolve so much we'll end up with designs so specialized they make little sense everywhere else in the game, like a hummingbird's beak.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32724 on: September 28, 2016, 06:11:20 pm »

Rebuild real quick then.
I'm good. let's just do it.

That's kinda funny, as the primary reason I joined Red team was that I was afraid of you WOFing my shin tentacles.

If you do rebuild, I suggest you only use upper limb parts.  Lower limbs grant less stat bonus and have less HP, while costing the same amount.  There's little reason to use a clockwork hand.
With pneumatic strength, the cumulative ... oh, you mean I cold make a clockwork arm out of three upper arm parts. hah. I think that's a little broken, but sure, why not?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #32725 on: September 29, 2016, 04:00:30 am »

What program do you use to make those maps?  Just some drawing app, or a specialized thing?
http://deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/

It's quite good if you want a quick map. You can even make very complex maps if you put the time and effort in it, but sometimes very large maps can get buggy, so make sure to export/save your work from time to time.

My only big complaint is that you can't put markers on it, so you have to export the image and then edit it in paint to add people on the map. So what I usually end up doing is use this to make a quick layout of the area and then use gimp to make a layer for each marker on the map. So then you can just move the layers around the map however you please and the layer labels can help you remember what each marker represents.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32726 on: October 01, 2016, 11:22:33 am »

So our first oro combat turn is done and only one person is injured. And a good deal of his injuries were self inflicted.

Still, his arm exploding was pretty neat.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32727 on: October 01, 2016, 01:25:21 pm »

writhe is not a touch spell.

I mangled my character set up so bad. I hate it. It's easy to do - certain things work together, and certain things do not.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32728 on: October 01, 2016, 02:50:31 pm »

writhe is not a touch spell.

I mangled my character set up so bad. I hate it. It's easy to do - certain things work together, and certain things do not.
Shit, no it is not. It started as one, but I changed that. Hmm let me look at the rolls for a minute.

Ok, luckily the attack would have missed anyway, so no real harm this time. I'll make sure to reflect the fact that you didn't move in the map.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32729 on: October 01, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

Oh, so both teams have a two on one going on. That does not bode well for my life span.

EDIT: wait didn't gentle blow up his arm next to me? So wouldn't that mean that he's next to me?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:33:57 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.
Pages: 1 ... 2180 2181 [2182] 2183 2184 ... 2205