Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2346659 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Subforum (EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT IN ER, READ THIS PLEASE)
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:51 am »

Maybe we should just run the entirety of ER through Gizoogle.
First, you would need to get all of ER into one text thingy.

Then, you would probably crash Gizoogle.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:37 am »

No, you do it one update at a time.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 12:27:56 am »

Mmm, done quite too much thinking on this. Piecewise, and probably anyone else pointing towards a subforum (subboard, is a much better term): Propose that it not be named something like the Einsteinian Roulette board, but as a category for RTDs which have such characteristics as novel-esque plots and multiple players.

Being the new curator of the RTD Library, the idea sprouted when I did my own work on the origins of the RtD: it's a forum-spinoff of tabletop games (Yes Sean, thanks for the leads :)) You're awesome. Also, this page {tvtropes link} needs to reflect the origins, methinks. :P). Meaning, that in order to not cross the line of specificity (personally? I think the quality of ER dropped given some players-with bargains struck to favor an imbalance between new and old but that's just my insight. *stares at the Doctor.* Though I'm not saying ER is bad. Noooo. :p The perseverance and dedication of the GM is something to aspire to..sans some jokes of his. :I But that's just me! :D) or to give the notion that 'ER IS BEST RTD OVERALL', I ask to move for a more generalized board for these types of RTDs.

I'm supporting this proposal, of course. Just not making it explicit for one single RTD. Because that in itself offsets others who have high ambitions, and in making it generalized-it provides the space for future-RTDs of such magnitude to thrive in their own environment.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:29:58 am by Tiruin »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:23 am »

I vote in favor not only because I play ER but because having somewhere to put all the multi-thread i.e. three or more rtds is probably a good idea
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:36 am »

Mmm, done quite too much thinking on this. Piecewise, and probably anyone else pointing towards a subforum (subboard, is a much better term): Propose that it not be named something like the Einsteinian Roulette board, but as a category for RTDs which have such characteristics as novel-esque plots and multiple players.

Being the new curator of the RTD Library, the idea sprouted when I did my own work on the origins of the RtD: it's a forum-spinoff of tabletop games (Yes Sean, thanks for the leads :)) You're awesome. Also, this page {tvtropes link} needs to reflect the origins, methinks. :P). Meaning, that in order to not cross the line of specificity (personally? I think the quality of ER dropped given some players-with bargains struck to favor an imbalance between new and old but that's just my insight. *stares at the Doctor.*) or to give the notion that 'ER IS BEST RTD OVERALL', I ask to move for a more generalized board for these types of RTDs.

I'm supporting this proposal, of course. Just not making it explicit for one single RTD. Because that in itself offsets others who have high ambitions, and in making it generalized-it provides the space for future-RTDs of such magnitude to thrive in their own environment.
+42
This is pretty much what I would say, except Tiruin already said it :P

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 12:30:21 am »

Einsteinian Roulette: Give us a subforum and you won't have to deal with our shit anymore.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

...Let's stop the references to popular media...It may be misinterpreted. Badly.
Like, what I just did before giving that a nice re-read. x__x

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:52 am »

"Novel-esque plots and multiple players..."
Um, I think that applies to rather a lot of RTDs.
Wouldn't it be easier to draw a distinction based on the need for multiple threads, i.e. 'one group of players doing something, the rest of the players having a separate thread to do something else'?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:19 am »

Being the new curator of the RTD Library, the idea sprouted when I did my own work on the origins of the RtD: it's a forum-spinoff of tabletop games (Yes Sean, thanks for the leads :)) You're awesome. Also, this page {tvtropes link} needs to reflect the origins, methinks. :P). Meaning, that in order to not cross the line of specificity (personally? I think the quality of ER dropped given some players-with bargains struck to favor an imbalance between new and old but that's just my insight. *stares at the Doctor.* Though I'm not saying ER is bad. Noooo. :p The perseverance and dedication of the GM is something to aspire to..sans some jokes of his. :I But that's just me! :D) or to give the notion that 'ER IS BEST RTD OVERALL', I ask to move for a more generalized board for these types of RTDs.

A distinction based on scale sounds good. Name the section "The Grand RTD Hall", and move any games large enough to require sectioning and organization into there. Of course, "large enough" may be subjective... it's not determined by size alone. A huge thread with a game like Multiworld Madness, for instance, even if it were akin to ER in size, would not require being moved - it's contained in one thread. ER is a game with large scale, and I see no other games of its kind around right now - a game with a mass of players that function in separate environments and at separate timescales, thus outright requiring being split apart into several individual threads, that progress at the same time. Not an IC/OOC split, but threads where the game progresses simultaneously.

I'd say if your game starts to grow beyond three equally important, regularly updated threads, it could be considered for moving into the Grand Hall.

And, of course, creating the subforum, whether as a Grand Hall or an Einsteinian Roulette section, has my full support. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:26 am »

And, of course, creating the subforum, whether as a Grand Hall or an Einsteinian Roulette section, has my full support. ^_^
Though I'm naming it explicitly 'Einsteinian Roulette section'...though maybe that's just the pessimist me due to such focus of importances.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 01:25:21 am »

Seems like a fine idea to me, don't think I've seen a harder working GM than Piecewise honestly. If its needed, its needed basically.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:30:10 am by Xanmyral »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 04:28:22 am »

Posting to place my support in this.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:00 am »

One thing I don't understand - if this thread is about voting, why not attach a poll to it?

As for the proposal itself, I vote against. Not like I'm agruing with piecewise or anything, but I just do not like separatism in any forms, from mild to extreme. It somehow makes me think that in a year or maybe even earlier you'll decide "Hey, we are a big enough community to have a forum of our own!", and I enjoy even reading piecewise's games and do not want to let bay12 lose such a member.
Of course I may be mistaken in that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:53:06 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 05:09:25 am »

One thing I don't understand - if this thread is about voting, why not attach a poll to it?

As for the proposal itself, I vote against. Not like I'm agruing with piecewise or anything, but I just do not like separatism in any forms, from mild to extreme. It somehow makes me think that in a year or maybe even earlier you'll decide "Hey, we are a big enough community to have a forum of our own!", and I enjoy even reading piecewise's games and do not want to let bay12 lose such a member.
Of course I may be mistaken in that.
That's heading into extremes--just as much as people predicted 'oh if we make x thread, there'll be y, and z and a, b, c...' which is continuous bias. That won't happen if the unspoked rule of conciseness-in/with-threads (as an unspoken forum rule and etiquette) is followed.

Though I believe it should now become apparent due to...misunderstandings.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:39 am »

I can see where it could be seen as separatism, but it really all boils down to organization. Piecewise's game is so large it takes several ongoing threads, and even more will spring up as the current group fragments further, not to mention the lack of a dedicated out-of-character thread that some have been proposing.

Consider Roll To Dodge itself. It's a forum game genre, but eventually there were too many of them - the entire front page of FG&RP was nothing but RTDs. To organize them better and to allow players of other games - that might not like them, or care about them - they were moved off to a separate forum. They aren't "better", and they weren't moved just for the sake of making a new forum - they were just too many, and they were interfering with what others were doing.

Let's put it another way. Einsteinian Roulette is currently spread across three threads. Ship thread, Mission thread, Secondary mission thread. Like it or not, it's going to need at least two more once the current story arc is complete. Tinker, and Hephaestus mission threads. Maybe an OOC thread. They are, barring brief hiatuses and Sundays, all going to be updated daily, with the entire crew of thirty-something players and the GM all posting in them. That's five/six threads continuously hovering on the first page of the RTD forum. For just one game. It may not seem like much, in the overall thread count, but that's the question then - are you more okay with one game having its five/six threads constantly hovering near the top than with making a separate subforum to put that game, and perhaps games like it if they appear, into?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 2205