Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319738 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7200 on: July 19, 2014, 09:34:51 am »

Actually, it's a double-foil. The gun itself is irrelevant, it may have been an artifact but ultimately it's another kind of possession transmitter. In this case, it transmits through inanimate objects rather than animate ones. It was animating a dead body, just as it is now animating Morul's synthoid frame - it used the gun, in the moment of contact, to transmit itself. The possessing agent in Faith seems to mainly usurp control, rather than actually provide motion.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the waterperson, either.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:37:10 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: July 19, 2014, 09:42:57 am »

.....Yeah, that's a good enough point for me.
((I'm actually mostly kidding, this mission needs all the firepower it can get, and so far amps have been the only really effective weapon against cultists.))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: July 19, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

Amps are bad, mmkay.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:11 am »

((I'm actually mostly kidding, this mission needs all the firepower it can get, and so far amps have been the only really effective weapon against cultists.))

Has anyone even shot a cultist?

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: July 19, 2014, 10:15:03 am »

Not as far as I remember, it could be really effective for all we know.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: July 19, 2014, 10:17:45 am »

Not as far as I remember, it could be really effective for all we know.

"Hey, guys! I discovered their weakness! It's guns!"

*commence Conventional celebration*

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7206 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:20 am »

Actually, it's a double-foil. The gun itself is irrelevant, it may have been an artifact but ultimately it's another kind of possession transmitter. In this case, it transmits through inanimate objects rather than animate ones. It was animating a dead body, just as it is now animating Morul's synthoid frame - it used the gun, in the moment of contact, to transmit itself. The possessing agent in Faith seems to mainly usurp control, rather than actually provide motion.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the waterperson, either.
Ah, yes, but consider this: If the gun is simply a transmitter, then why did Morul stop having his arms possessed the moment he removed the gun? Why would his possessed hands try to shoot himself in the chest? And why did bandages deanimate the moment the gun was removed? Why were the infected parts of Morul amputated by his possessor, if those infected parts were actually him? And how can the possessor control his mind without using mind control?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:53 am »

Ah, yes, but consider this: If the gun is simply a transmitter, then why did Morul stop having his arms possessed the moment he removed the gun?
Perhaps the same reason people fake being captured? To get a better position within the enemy and strike?
Why would his possessed hands try to shoot himself in the chest?
Well obviously because a working head in a possessed body is a liability, since it has control of its own - and perhaps overrides said control.
And why did bandages deanimate the moment the gun was removed?
It can control only one entity at a time?
Why were the infected parts of Morul amputated by his possessor, if those infected parts were actually him?
A tougher one, but perhaps the secondary parts weren't so much amputated (how would he do that anyway) but simply fell off due to accumulated damage? Alternatively...
And how can the possessor control his mind without using mind control?
Well... let's see what it all paints a picture of. A gun is filled with tiny particulate that consumes matter on contact, working like plasma. This gun has the power to control anything in direct contact with it via a single intelligence (as the one in Morul is the same one that knows Faith's possessor), but this control is limited, either in range or by another kind of control present. Morul had succumbed to full possession at about the same time the nanites would be piercing his braincase.

Summation: The gun is a launcher/dispenser for a distributed-intelligence sentient nanite technovirus. When a piece of complex machinery is exposed to it (a human body is just a complex machine in principle), it will penetrate into its structure and attempt to rapidly gain control of everything within its intelligence's communication range. Any sufficiently overtaken piece of machinery capable of transmitting the signal will act as a transceiver, allowing the intelligence to manifest control over any infected machinery in range. The entity performing the hivemind control seems to be limited to one controlled individual, and cannot distribute its attention as a full intelligence, only capable of very primitive control over individual nanoparticles, if it is capable of it at all. It relies on virus-like programming of the nanoparticles, that seek out control centers and pathways, allowing the intelligence to take hold, and ultimately seek new hosts when existing ones sufficiently degrade.

The principle by which the gun works, as well as the presence of a more direct form of control, as with Faith, seems to indicate that the gun is a technological development by a race of body-swapping entities, intended as a transmission method not limited to touch.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7208 on: July 19, 2014, 12:34:49 pm »

Yeah, that does sound plausible, although the amputation still bothers me. If Morul's controller and the green particles are one and the same, then there probably should had been a way for him to shut down the green light's destructive effect without amputating it.
But it is plausible that something similar occurred.

Maybe if Mission 15 hadn't gone so disastrously, we could had found some info on that ship, perhaps a manifest indicating it was transporting amps and alien artefacts (which were then taken by the cult to create their arsenal) or clues that it was accessed recently (recently translating to "in the current decade", since the Sword must have taken some time to get here).

And there are some meta arguments for my position.

Wishful-thinking argument: There is a significantly higher chance of Morul being already permadead dead if your theory is correct. A simple application of shock implant or successful will roll would be enough to disable Morul.
Worst-case-scenario argument: With your theory, we just have to disable Morul's body, preferably without damaging the braincase, since there's a chance he's still alive. With my theory, we don't only have to take care of Morul, but there's also a line-of-sight mind controller ready to take over someone else the moment he looses control of Morul or a juicier target pops up.
One-body-rule argument: Piecewise seems to prefer to have people with one body only. But with some reverse engineering, if that weapon is retrieved with an artefact container, it could lead to people just shooting sods to create clone squads they could control with their mind. And if you equip every sildier in the clone squad with a similar weapon, you get the resilience of a zombie virus.

But anyway, it looks like we can't say without more evidence, we just have to wait for the carnage to begin to find out.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:20 pm »

Lerman is frakkin' dead. Just fyi

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

Agreed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: July 19, 2014, 01:32:17 pm »

It occurred to me last turn that it's kind of strange nobody's just up and murdered him yet, considering how willfully stupid he's being. It's not like there hasn't been plenty of opportunity.

I mean, geez, even Stacy wasn't this bad.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: July 19, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

Glorious hot drop is glorious.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: July 19, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »

Hey Tavik, Lerman's in your APC, killing your teammates and wasting your ammo. You have the teamkiller rifle. Whatcha gonna do about it?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: July 19, 2014, 01:43:14 pm »

Hey Tavik, Lerman's in your APC, killing your teammates and wasting your ammo. You have the teamkiller rifle. Whatcha gonna do about it?
Shoot him. Well, shoot him after the area is safe.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 2205