Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2356535 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7500 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:17 am »

Well then, make your next purchase a regular ol' sword, and let those who want monoatomic razors buy monoatomic razors as they please...? Have fun trying to cut through any kind of sphess-age armour with a regular sword unless you're seriously gene modded or in a robobody.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7501 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:45 am »

Hey, that's your preference.
I find monoatomic blades to be much more acceptable because they are cleaner, they are silent and you can use them to take samples. They are a small, cheap and efficient tool. If you want an Uncon weapon of mass destruction, there are amps, that are cheaper, more versatile and safer (assuming you use them right), if a bit more difficult to use in a close combat situation. So really, it all comes down to preference and what you need/can afford at the time. Price especially is important, that's why you'll see many space wizards going for the Microwave Manip+Monoblade for their initial 5 token purchase.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: July 24, 2014, 11:44:28 am »

Well then, make your next purchase a regular ol' sword, and let those who want monoatomic razors buy monoatomic razors as they please...? Have fun trying to cut through any kind of sphess-age armour with a regular sword unless you're seriously gene modded or in a robobody.
From what I've been told I'd be just as effective at cutting through it with one.

Hey, that's your preference.
I find monoatomic blades to be much more acceptable because they are cleaner, they are silent and you can use them to take samples. They are a small, cheap and efficient tool. If you want an Uncon weapon of mass destruction, there are amps, that are cheaper, more versatile and safer (assuming you use them right), if a bit more difficult to use in a close combat situation. So really, it all comes down to preference and what you need/can afford at the time. Price especially is important, that's why you'll see many space wizards going for the Microwave Manip+Monoblade for their initial 5 token purchase.
I really just want to rig up a sword so that a character can use an electric blade that also cuts through things. I mean, it seems logical to have one that can do that right?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7503 on: July 24, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

What would its difference be from a tesla saber? Just that it would be able to cut things even when it's off?

And no, if you have enough strngth to cut through battlesuit plate with a normal weapon, then the weapon itself will probably break on impact. You're better off just punching the battlesuit directly if you're that strong (since you probably are inside a synthflesh body or avatar or battlesuit or exoskeleton).

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:07 am »

What would its difference be from a tesla saber? Just that it would be able to cut things even when it's off?

And no, if you have enough strngth to cut through battlesuit plate with a normal weapon, then the weapon itself will probably break on impact. You're better off just punching the battlesuit directly if you're that strong (since you probably are inside a synthflesh body or avatar or battlesuit or exoskeleton).
Well, yeah, kind of something really useful that neither guns or amps can do.

And if I use melee weapons I'd be more interested in just doing the logical thing and tossing one of those cheap nukes at the suit rather than letting it even know I'm there.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: July 24, 2014, 11:55:13 am »

The obviously best melee weapon would be a halberd, with one side being a monorazor, the other side being a kinamp hammer, and a tesla sabre spike on top.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:51 am »

Well, a monoatomic sword does have trouble getting through battlesuit plate, since it's battlesuit plate and all, and thus nothing to mess with. It works when you use it against the joints, though. It has the ability to cut through steel and a whole lot of other materials like butter, markedly unlike a regular blade, which is only good against soft tissues mostly.

And if I use melee weapons I'd be more interested in just doing the logical thing and tossing one of those cheap nukes at the suit rather than letting it even know I'm there.

Throwing a 1/8th kiloton bomb at a battlesuit is A) overkill, B) going to make you very dead, C) expensive, since it's 2 tokens a shot and if Hephaestus was any indication, the UWM has quite a few battlesuits.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: July 24, 2014, 11:58:19 am »

The obviously best melee weapon would be a halberd, with one side being a monorazor, the other side being a kinamp hammer, and a tesla sabre spike on top.
It sounds expensive. But effective none the less.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »

I'd take a regular sword that can still be used as a sort of queer club and can stab and be filled with amps so that your enemies get hit with a home run strike out of the solar system over the one that is useless against most things apparently since you still have to be right next to the guy.

...And which can't damage any modern armor, isn't very effective against people*, can't be used as an all-purpose cutting tool, is more heavy, more reliant on strength, blockable, slower to swing...

Honestly, there's a reason that swords are practically free.  And it would be very difficult (and kind of stupid) to turn it into a kinetic club; it would be very expensive, and interestingly would be more expensive and difficult to turn a sword into a club than just buying a club straight.

Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that a kinetic club is stronger with a bunch of amps than with just one, considering how amps operate.

*Remember that this is Einsteinian Roulette, where anti-tank rifles are 'small arms'.  A monoatomic blade doesn't cut so much as detonate anything soft which it touches.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7509 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:58 pm »

Kinda hard to just toss a nuke. You'd probably need either a Con weapon, a manipulator/amp or very fast legs.

As for the blade, what kind of enemies do you want to go against and how cheap do you want it? 5 tokens with the power of a tesla saber when on and monorazor strength when off? I'm sure that if everyone pools their collective tinker experience we'll be able to make something good, unless you want something ridiculously OP.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:44 pm »

Kinda hard to just toss a nuke. You'd probably need either a Con weapon, a manipulator/amp or very fast legs.

As for the blade, what kind of enemies do you want to go against and how cheap do you want it? 5 tokens with the power of a tesla saber when on and monorazor strength when off? I'm sure that if everyone pools their collective tinker experience we'll be able to make something good, unless you want something ridiculously OP.
They can be remote detonated.

At least sharp enough to be able to make someone want to back off when hit by it.

I'd take a regular sword that can still be used as a sort of queer club and can stab and be filled with amps so that your enemies get hit with a home run strike out of the solar system over the one that is useless against most things apparently since you still have to be right next to the guy.

...And which can't damage any modern armor, isn't very effective against people*, can't be used as an all-purpose cutting tool, is more heavy, more reliant on strength, blockable, slower to swing...

Honestly, there's a reason that swords are practically free.  And it would be very difficult (and kind of stupid) to turn it into a kinetic club; it would be very expensive, and interestingly would be more expensive and difficult to turn a sword into a club than just buying a club straight.

Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that a kinetic club is stronger with a bunch of amps than with just one, considering how amps operate.

*Remember that this is Einsteinian Roulette, where anti-tank rifles are 'small arms'.  A monoatomic blade doesn't cut so much as detonate anything soft which it touches.
Are we still talking about swords or are we talking about monorazors? Because there isn't that much difference it seems.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: July 24, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »

That mission 14 driver needs a sign for his APC.  "Driver carries no fucks."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: July 24, 2014, 12:05:21 pm »

Clearly you just need to get an amp on your boot and punt nukes at people.

Speaking of amps, has anyone tried punching a battlesuit with one in VR?  How'd that turn out?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:16 pm »

That mission 14 driver needs a sign for his APC.  "Driver carries no fucks."
The APC's is actually Jacks. He's just letting them use it for this mission. Though Smurf is forever banned from using the turret.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »

Told you Timmy would be long gone.

Also, Gilgamesh has a long and storied career of being used as mobile cover.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 2205