Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319371 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Subforum.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »

I also vote yes on having a subforum. A better organized ER (and other Piecewise games, perhaps) is better for all involved.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:41 pm »

I am also in favor.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »

I think there are several benefits to getting a subforum, with organization probably being the one at the top. As things are, we really need an OOC thread and having in mind ER's humongous size, there aren't any guarantees more threads won't need to be created later.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »

If it is as big as people say it is, then I am all for it.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:16 pm »

ER is a big game. It's spread across 3 threads, two of which are the first and second largest on the forum.
No, the SUBforum. The RotMG thread, for instance, is around twice the size of the ER threads.

If it is as big as people say it is, then I am all for it.
It is. Look at 'em--two threads past 1,000 pages at default pagecount each, plus another with hundreds of pages.

I'm in favor, but I fear that I'm biased.

Oh, and piecewise? Might want something in the title indicating that it's an issue for all RtDers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:52:18 pm »

I don't really care one way or the other, but that's because I rarely use the actual boards to navigate the forum.

If this does happen though, I think it would be good to have a PW subforum instead of just an ER forum.  I mean, I already check PW's 'recent posts' on occasion just to check if he's made anything new.  His stuff is that good.

Of course, that would be exactly what Toady was worried about, showing favoritism.

Oh, and yeah, we should try and get people who have no stake in ER to give their opinion.  The current title will probably lead to bias.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:17 pm »

I don't really care one way or the other, but that's because I rarely use the actual boards to navigate the forum.
If this does happen though, I think it would be good to have a PW subforum instead of just an ER forum.  I mean, I already check PW's 'recent posts' on occasion just to check if he's made anything new.  His stuff is that good.
Of course, that would be exactly what Toady was worried about, showing favoritism.
Oh, and yeah, we should try and get people who have no stake in ER to give their opinion.  The current title will probably lead to bias.
I think that, if this does indeed go through, then we should take slow and simple steps first, starting with the biggest thing - ER - first. Also, there will be more obvious problems with dedicating a subforum to one member's works, as it might rile up some of the RtDers who might feel that their work isn't being as appreciated as piecewise's work is, because his is more popular.

Of course, that is not my own opinion on piecewise's RTDs. Personally I'm a newer RtDer so I've never dived too deeply into piecewise's games. Again, I'd take this first step with ER and leave it at that for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »

Maybe if there were a subforum that was designed for games that span multiple threads?
I mean, ER is clearly the biggest of those, but there are a few others that do so, as well.

I'm all for an ER subforum/piecewise subforum, but I know other people may get picky about it, as has been stated before.
In any case, I give my support.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:43 pm »

Frankly any RtDer that gets upset over Piecewise getting "favoritism" is fooling themselves, that's like saying the Sun gets favoritism over a lightbulb.
Its not a question of favorites, its a question of SCALE.

+1 subforum and sig advertisement, so all may hear the word of this most holy mission
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:25:56 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »

Frankly any RtDer that gets upset over Piecewise getting "favoritism" is fooling themselves, that's like saying the Sun gets favoritism over a lightbulb.
Its not a question of favorites, its a question of SCALE.
Yes, it is a question of favorites. What if someone else comes along and says that they think that their work deserves a subforum because they've made a large quantity of RtDs, or they feel that their work is quality enough to have a subforum?
ER is a good candidate for a subforum because it is indeed huge and NEEDS a better way to organize itself.
Other RtDs may rival piecewise's quality or scale, but may not get a subforum based around the creator because we're talking about that RtD itself.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:52 pm »

Piecewise is to RTD's what masterwork is to dwarf fortress.

Its not a matter of favortism, its a matter of merit. if anyone deserves their own subforum its him.

Seriously its not a matter of quality or quantity, its a matter of consistency and dedication. Everything he makes is consistently awesome and hes updated ER 5 times a week for as long as ive been playing, even back when he was running perplexicon 2.0 with its two hour to write turns.

can you honestly tell me you think he doesnt deserve this?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:14 pm »

Maybe if there were a subforum that was designed for games that span multiple threads?
I mean, ER is clearly the biggest of those, but there are a few others that do so, as well.
That might work, yeah. I mean, it's not like even ER would take up more than about half a dozen threads at most.

Of course...is that games with multiple dedicated threads, or is just a typical "IC/OOC" divide enough? And what would it be called?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »

Its not a matter of favortism, its a matter of merit. if anyone deserves their own subforum its him.
Seriously its not a matter of quality or quantity, its a matter of consistency and dedication. Everything he makes is consistently awesome and hes updated ER 5 times a week for as long as ive been playing, even back when he was running perplexicon 2.0 with its two hour to write turns.
It's an opinionated topic. What may seem good to you may not seem good to another person, and I'm not talking about myself - personally, I love what piecewise does and think he is a central part of this forum. Yet, it would again seem too much for one person. A thread dedicated to a "piecewise museum?" Sure, go ahead. But I am against a subforum in its entirety for one person only: not out of disrespect for piecewise, but rather the implications it may have for the forum itself.

That might work, yeah. I mean, it's not like even ER would take up more than about half a dozen threads at most.
Of course...is that games with multiple dedicated threads, or is just a typical "IC/OOC" divide enough? And what would it be called?
I support this idea, of games that are bigger than 2 or so threads, or are popular enough to require organization.
+1

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:09 pm »

Did you read the quote from Toady in the first post?  He said he was wary because he had just finished with a spat in the modding forum caused by giving some people specific subforums.  I'd bet that Masterwork was one of those.

And it is a matter of quality/quantity too.  Frankly, most RTD's are pretty terrible.  ER/Perplexicon/Whatever else PW runs seem practically professional.  If ER were a novel series, it would rank pretty high up in my favorites, and I'm a voracious reader, who has read quite a lot of good books.

As far as quantity, I don't really understand why having lots of threads in the RTD subforum is bad, but it is a thing a lot of people don't want.  Quantity is a large part of the reasoning behind making a subforum.

That all said, regardless of whether PW deserves it, the problem is when other people get angry over it.  We need other, unrelated people to be fine with it.

...Reading this post, I really apologize if it seems hostile.  I honestly don't mean it to be that way.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:31 pm »

+1 to the idea, but we do need non-player opinions and inputs.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2205