Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2351952 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2445 on: April 09, 2014, 09:29:01 am »

Is there any evidence of him knowing about the pill-machine though? Additionally, you are defending an in-character decision using out-of-character knowledge to back it up, are you to say his actions weren't so reckless because of what his eldritch puppeteer knew?
He's got a better shot than anyone else.
No. I'm saying my actions weren't reckless because of my knowledge.

@GWG
Umm hello, bad is dangerous.
1. Bad is typical.
2. Might! Why does no one remember the "might"?

Well lets see now, spoon guy got a big spoon shaped metal crest on his head that made him look identical to a spoon when he stood upright with his hands at his side and in essence meant he was a giant bipedal spoon.
Ingesting batteries would then obviously make you contain energy, perhaps more then you could physically contain in a fleshy meatsack. Oh and its pretty darn obvious those batteries dont contain electricity.
How was I supposed to know how much energy was in the batteries? Especially since the required presence of a human mind for basically everything space-magicky implies that the power source for normal space magic could just be the human mind...especially given how automanips are a heck of a lot more expensive than normal ones.

Blame is yours. doc warned you, you failed to grasp the importance of his words.
"Something bad might happen" is a description of everything you do in the HMRC, including perfectly routine tasks. How was I supposed to know this wouldn't be routine?

No, its like saying "fuck batteries, they cant do 36 billion calculations a second."
...Actually, it's more like "The computer is useless without electricity. The electricity is pretty important to the functioning of the computer."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2446 on: April 09, 2014, 09:32:01 am »

I agree with RC.

@GWG: Actually, you got a roll, which implies that things could had gone better if you had rolled well. So the doctor was right.

And might really is a synonym of may be.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:33:41 am by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:39 am »

Might, maybe, they both imply that things will probably not suck.

...Unless you're saying "this might not suck," but you know what I mean.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: April 09, 2014, 10:04:19 am »

Bad is a health risk, health risk is a hazard, hazards are dangerous.
Might is synonymous with potentially.

Hmm let me see, how much energy do you think it takes to routinely heat a foot wide sphere by 1000 degrees? Let alone create an artificial dwarf star?

Something bad might happen also applies to eating old expired foodstuffs that are normally refridgerated, but you know that "might" really means "almost defininately."
As for it not being routine, you basically put a tiny magical nuclear reactor into an alien device of unknown origin and with no idea how it actually functions. How the fuck is that routine?

Yes computers cant run without electricity, but the electricity aint the thing doing all the calculations.
Manipulators run off of bottled space magic but amps run directly from your own internal supply or whatever, eating a manipulator pill would make you the manipulator and you already have some internal "energy" production it can run off.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2449 on: April 09, 2014, 10:06:29 am »

Might, maybe, they both imply that things will probably not suck.

...Unless you're saying "this might not suck," but you know what I mean.
So when someone says "It might rain tomorrow." for you that translates to "It probably won't rain tomorrow."?

Oh, and there are computers that can work without electricity, if we use the broad term for computer and not the computer = PC.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:09:09 am by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:06 am »

Bad is a health risk, health risk is a hazard, hazards are dangerous.
Again: HMRC standard.

Might is synonymous with potentially.
That's like saying "ocean is synonymous with pond"--they are synonyms, but they imply different things.

Hmm let me see, how much energy do you think it takes to routinely heat a foot wide sphere by 1000 degrees? Let alone create an artificial dwarf star?
Depends on what's in the sphere. And I would like to point out that your artificial dwarf star thing is misleading, because that's not what happened.
Not to mention that I never denied that manipulators manipulated large amounts of energy. I was just pointing out that they...well...manipulate the energy, rather than create it. Amps amplify the energy, they don't create it.

Something bad might happen also applies to eating old expired foodstuffs that are normally refridgerated, but you know that "might" really means "almost defininately."
...No, it doesn't.

As for it not being routine, you basically put a tiny magical nuclear reactor into an alien device of unknown origin and with no idea how it actually functions. How the fuck is that routine?
That's not the routine part. The routine part is "Something bad might happen". If that's all you have to say about doing something...well...that's pretty true of anything you do IRL, and very true of anything you do IER. It's butt-covering white noise.

Yes computers cant run without electricity, but the electricity aint the thing doing all the calculations.
And the calculations aren't what Grate wanted.

Manipulators run off of bottled space magic...
Then why do they need human presence or expensive automanip equipment? And why are they called "manipulators" if they don't manipulate stuff?

So when someone says "It might rain tomorrow." for you that translates to "It probably won't rain tomorrow."?
Yes. If rain is likely tomorrow, I expect people to say "It'll probably rain tomorrow".

Oh, and there are computers that can work without electricity, if we use the broad term for computer and not the computer = PC.
...which is irrelevant to the analogy we were making.

((Not mine, at least. Any recreated will have those same properties, and they'll get worse each moment.))
((Not so. Again, it's meta enough that I can just recreate it as it was before you did that crap to it.))
((Just take this to the OOC thread guys))
Alright.

((Nope, as it's meta enough that I can retcon your recreation of it - and I can continue this game of mules for longer than you can.))
Nope, you can't. Especially since I can just retcon whatever you did to it before I actually use it.

(No, don't bother taking it anywhere. Just shut up entirely until you two actually have something to say. That would be preferred.)
I'd like to make just one more point.
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

EDIT: Also, the doctor has no hair and speaks in a laconic, detached fashion. More scienciness points, I say!

I bet he has a German accent too!

But your point is easily refuted by my argument a few posts up. The Doctor looks really smart, you know. And he is really smart. He's just not overly concerned about people's well-being, which Grate had no way of knowing. Give the kid a break, man. Irresponsible parenting is the real villain here.

The thing is that he IS a scientist.  He loves seeing experiments happen.  He was curious, and got to see the effects!  More data for him.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: April 09, 2014, 11:48:55 am »

I bet he has a German accent too!

I bet he says "Ach!" a lot when nobody's looking! Especially when the drugs start to wear off, his asthma kicks in and his voice gets weird! That's what the drugs protect us from!

Depends on what's in the sphere. And I would like to point out that your artificial dwarf star thing is misleading, because that's not what happened.
Not to mention that I never denied that manipulators manipulated large amounts of energy. I was just pointing out that they...well...manipulate the energy, rather than create it. Amps amplify the energy, they don't create it.

They do, in fact, both create energy as far as we know. You can't get more heat out of less heat without creating energy. And amplifying energy is not a thing that exists, I'm pretty sure.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: April 09, 2014, 11:53:45 am »

Oh yes I can, GWG. I've won a day-long eye contact contest (it allowed blinking, but you couldn't look away).
Add the fact that it reverts to it's poisoned state just as you eat it (and the fact that I can say 'nuh uh, I win' indefinitely), I win.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: April 09, 2014, 12:09:43 pm »

They do, in fact, both create energy as far as we know. You can't get more heat out of less heat without creating energy. And amplifying energy is not a thing that exists, I'm pretty sure.
Amplifying the effects of energy, then. Happy with the semantics?
And I never said energy wasn't created, or at least turned into a useable form; I just hypothesized that it was manipulating mental energies present in humans, which is why normal manips need humans around to work. Simulating these things or else providing a separate battery of "mental energy" is presumably why automanips are so dang expensive.

Oh yes I can, GWG. I've won a day-long eye contact contest (it allowed blinking, but you couldn't look away).
Add the fact that it reverts to it's poisoned state just as you eat it (and the fact that I can say 'nuh uh, I win' indefinitely), I win.
I can also say "nuh un, I win" indefinitely. And I'm much more used to prolonged Internet arguments than you.
And the eating is done before you can post in reply. Not much you can do.
Sig

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »

Whoever "wins" such a dumb argument would probably be more of a loser than the other party.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2456 on: April 09, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »

Ho ho ho! Love the arm cannon! I knew heptagons were dangerous. Powerful but dangerous. Let's watch him try to bash one of the vets. Or the Doc...
Wonder where it came from. Maybe some sort of TV show where people participate in a deathmatch and have to complete challenges to stay alive and unlock new weapons? Sounds like a good idea for an RTD...

Edit: Note to self: When mission is over, ask Steve whether or not he has ever considered having children.
I actually considered doing that...I might now. Little mini RTD in this sub forum since it's ER universe.

Oi. Guys. Enough arguing, on both sides.

GWG, ya fucked up. Ya made a mistake. Own it, accept it and learn from it.

Everyone else: Yeah, it was a dumb idea, especially in hindsight, but there's a reason why the character sheets are in "Idiots in space.txt". Everyone makes stupid mistakes when presented with unknown things. Don't treat him too harshly for a mistake.

Lets stop arguing about the horrible disasters of the past and cooperate to facilitate the horrible disasters of the future.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »

There's that inconsiderate and stupid image somewhere comparing arguing on the Internet to the Special Olympics, but no matter how inconsiderate and stupid the comparison is, the crux of the issue still holds true in these cases.
edit: ninja PW.

In other news, dusted off some drawing skills today to have a go at a Simus.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Legs unfinished because I suddenly really didn't like the pose. Might do something different later.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »

I actually considered doing that...I might now. Little mini RTD in this sub forum since it's ER universe.

Sounds good to me!

Also, uh... I was wondering, objectively how much time has passed in ER, from the start of the game?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »

Whoever "wins" such a dumb argument would probably be more of a loser than the other party.
It's an argument?

Also, uh... I was wondering, objectively how much time has passed in ER, from the start of the game?
There is no such thing as objective time.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 2205