Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319273 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2910 on: April 17, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »

It's not melting all at once. The metal that encounters the radiant heat first absorbs it, and heats up - the rest of the heating, until the metal boils away or is sheared away, is done via conduction, which metals are pretty good with - meaning a lot of the heat will end up dumped deeper into the ship rather quickly, but not before some of the metal melts.
...My point was that your point of "It all won't melt at once" is meaningless if there's more than an instant for the metal to melt. And there was significantly more than an instant, so that point is kinda invalid.

Not seeing a problem. One corridor is heated up to the point where its structural strength is severely compromised, it deforms but rapidly cools due to the gigantic mass of the rest of the ship structure conducting away the heat, because metal and heatsinks. Temperature equalizes between corridor and ship, ship as a whole warmed up by perhaps half a degree Celsius. No problem.
The problem being that the spaceship, being a spaceship, was probably made as light as possible, so there are probable...structural issues with that much deformation.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: April 17, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »

Except that these were probably built in either an orbital shipyard, or a cage like the one the Sword is currently sitting in. Weight is not an issue when you can bend physics to your will. Plus, the ship is MASSIVE. There is a lot of space for the heat to radiate to.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:25 pm »

It's not melting all at once. The metal that encounters the radiant heat first absorbs it, and heats up - the rest of the heating, until the metal boils away or is sheared away, is done via conduction, which metals are pretty good with - meaning a lot of the heat will end up dumped deeper into the ship rather quickly, but not before some of the metal melts.
...My point was that your point of "It all won't melt at once" is meaningless if there's more than an instant for the metal to melt. And there was significantly more than an instant, so that point is kinda invalid.

Not seeing a problem. One corridor is heated up to the point where its structural strength is severely compromised, it deforms but rapidly cools due to the gigantic mass of the rest of the ship structure conducting away the heat, because metal and heatsinks. Temperature equalizes between corridor and ship, ship as a whole warmed up by perhaps half a degree Celsius. No problem.
The problem being that the spaceship, being a spaceship, was probably made as light as possible, so there are probable...structural issues with that much deformation.
  • And yet it still won't melt all at once, even if the duration of the heating is not instantaneous. There is only so hot that you can make a piece of metal, and as long as it's there it will continue blocking radiant heat, instead transferring heat via its conductivity. I believe I did explain this already, but if you need a simpler explanation, think of it as a slab of meat inside an oven. You can make the oven as hot as you want, but if you don't hold the meat in there long enough, it won't cook through. Obviously in this case, the "meat" - meaning the metal of the corridor - was tough enough to withstand the heat for however long it lasted without completely melting, and it's likely that the initial pulse of heat was the strongest, flash-melting the metal surface before it was scoured by the shockwave and flung in your general direction.
  • ...now granted, these ships are not as large as the Sword. But they are still warships, or rather defense ships, in a universe where gigantic lasers and gauss cannons are standard armaments. They are supposed to endure getting hit with pulses of concentrated heat of no less magnitude than this. And they're large enough for the impacts of several surface-to-orbit hundred-ton hypersonic projectiles to go relatively unnoticed. I'm pretty sure one measly corridor buckling is not going to inconvenience a warship in the slightest.

As promised, I will now bow out of the argument, regardless of follow-up posts on the matter. I am not nearly so debate-hungry to continue this when the outcome serves no practical purpose whatsoever.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: April 17, 2014, 04:53:13 pm »

Any plans for how to deal with this? See if Kriellya's character can get the info from Steve? Or maybe Swordsmiths character's sod team has stumbled upon the controlling room for them and can disrupt them somehow. Or do we just say fuckit and kill everything now?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:01:51 pm by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2915 on: April 17, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »

Yeah, looks like the sod team found the sod commanders. This will be useful.
I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of "There have been reports of communication trouble across the ship and they want us on standby in case they manage to pinpoint the location of the fault. So we'll be mostly sitting around, doing whatever diagnostics we can until we get an order or we get lucky enough to find the problem. So technically, no work order."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:20 pm »

Oooh this is a bad time for me to stumble upon something important. I'm going to be a continent away from a guaranteed Internet connection and depending on possible hotel WiFi for turn posts for the next 10 days. >.>

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:47 pm »

Besides, it's still going to be difficult to part with said appendage anyway. Lack of sharp objects still in effect here :P

Could always chew it off! Also, this OOC discussion should really be, y'know, in the thread for it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: April 17, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »

Besides, it's still going to be difficult to part with said appendage anyway. Lack of sharp objects still in effect here :P

Could always chew it off! Also, this OOC discussion should really be, y'know, in the thread for it.

We've been trying not to mix the ER OOC discussions and the DMR OOC discussions for now, mostly because ER OOC is confusing enough :P
We figure if we end up needing to bring OOC out of the DMR thread, we'll make a new thread for that purpose.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:05:58 pm by Kriellya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: April 17, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »

Original Character Content...? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about.  :-X

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »

I find it hilarious that Sean did that so soon after I demonstrated, the, ah, futility.  I mean,  I was lying using tried and true political strategies, and I still couldn't win.  What makes you think logic would prevail?

I have no idea what you're talking about.  :-X

You said "OCC" rather than "OOC".  Twice. Four times, actually.  Missed two with that edit.

...Oddly, I pronounce "OCC" "Oh-See-See", but "OOC" "Oo-Oo-See".  Odd.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »

Except that these were probably built in either an orbital shipyard, or a cage like the one the Sword is currently sitting in. Weight is not an issue when you can bend physics to your will. Plus, the ship is MASSIVE. There is a lot of space for the heat to radiate to.
Which are reasons to waste material, or to go against centuries of starship design, why?

And yet it still won't melt all at once, even if the duration of the heating is not instantaneous. There is only so hot that you can make a piece of metal, and as long as it's there it will continue blocking radiant heat, instead transferring heat via its conductivity. I believe I did explain this already, but if you need a simpler explanation, think of it as a slab of meat inside an oven. You can make the oven as hot as you want, but if you don't hold the meat in there long enough, it won't cook through. Obviously in this case, the "meat" - meaning the metal of the corridor - was tough enough to withstand the heat for however long it lasted without completely melting, and it's likely that the initial pulse of heat was the strongest, flash-melting the metal surface before it was scoured by the shockwave and flung in your general direction.
I get that. The thing is, we've had enough time that it could have melted. We're getting off-track anyways; the molten metal could have as easily just been the outer layers sloughing off.

...now granted, these ships are not as large as the Sword. But they are still warships, or rather defense ships, in a universe where gigantic lasers and gauss cannons are standard armaments. They are supposed to endure getting hit with pulses of concentrated heat of no less magnitude than this. And they're large enough for the impacts of several surface-to-orbit hundred-ton hypersonic projectiles to go relatively unnoticed. I'm pretty sure one measly corridor buckling is not going to inconvenience a warship in the slightest.
Because weapons often involve melting a corridor in the heart of the ship.

I find it hilarious that Sean did that so soon after I demonstrated, the, ah, futility.  I mean,  I was lying using tried and true political strategies, and I still couldn't win.  What makes you think logic would prevail?
You insult me, sir. Care for a duel?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »

You insult me, sir. Care for a duel?

You tryin'.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: April 17, 2014, 09:02:06 pm »

Matter converter Amps/Manipulators. All they need is matter, any matter. They could take dirt and turn it into uranium. Hell, Miyamoto created C4 from dirt. Traditional mining has a lot of waste material, whether it's oreless rock from between veins, or slag from the smelting process. With a Matter Converter Automanipulator, the shove all that in one end, and get high grade hull plates out the other. Material and weight don't matter to the UWM. They have the tools to circumvent the problems modern space exploration faces.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 2205