Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2320131 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5835 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:38 am »

NONE OF THE CIVILIANS DIED? That's bull.
They were already laying on the ground.

Man, I finally get my synthflesh body and I'm getting owned by a freaking hatch. I'm suing the armory for false advertising
You're not dead or actually even injured. Just very stunned.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:25 am »

Man, I finally get my synthflesh body and I'm getting owned by a freaking hatch. I'm suing the armory for false advertising
You're not dead or actually even injured. Just very stunned.
I know, I was just trying to be funny Whoo boy did I fail there Thank god I decided to knock before trying to rip off the hatch.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5837 on: June 11, 2014, 11:49:43 am »

See? If you're polite and knock first before entering, then the alien murder hatch will be polite in turn and will only mildly injure you instead of killing you. It's all about being civil.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: June 11, 2014, 11:54:24 am »

* Toaster points down
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:46 am »

I'm about to break all pretence of not becoming an evil scientist.
This'll be fun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »

@Mission 13: I had a plan once and it was awful.
Everyone has an awful plan at times--this is mostly due to lacking information more often than not :<

Like that one mission I was on with Jim where we met that music-thought "worm" and I tried to breach a door by using my shoulder bahahahahaa. I'll never think of doing such things past midnight again >_>
I mean, I KNEW the procedure! THe correct one! And I picked the humorously incompetent one.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: June 11, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »

Oh sorry, I communicated poorly. I meant that if something performed very well but required some ultra-rare element that was a manufacturing bottleneck, it would be something to take into consideration in the weapon specs. I don't think these sheets should replace the armory, but it could make for a useful supplement. Even just your list that you posted could make a very useful quick reference for a newer player.

Good idea, but I didn't include anything like that because the only production things I really know of are that the laser rifle and gauss rifle are extremely cheaply made, and that most of the heavier energy weapons burn themselves out quickly.

For effective ranges, I wasn't thinking range bonuses: I just wanted there to be a quick at-a-glance idea of how far your weapon can be expected to reach. If you've got some death tazer with a 10 foot reach it's not going to do anything to a target across the street, and potential range is definitely something that should be considered. I would think that grading should assume that the weapon is in optimal or near-optimal range (though again, open to disagreement and discussion).

Good point.  I'll edit the lists and include effective range limitations.  Although, going by the engagements ARM usually has, it won't be used very often.

I didn't want to include that as a stat, I just think characteristics like that should be taken into consideration when grading. As an example, if you had two guns that were identical in every way, except the first killed/incapacitated with a center torso shot and the second allowed the target to continue fighting for some length of time, the first is obviously preferable. If you compare the gauss rifle and the electric flamethrower (tesla arc?) against fleshy targets, the latter is probably superior: they both kill people dead in short order, but I imagine you've got the aim less with the latter and it's less finicky even if you don't roll great. I'd probably call it a 6/7 and a 9/10 accordingly.

That's a decent point, but I think the list adequately explains it.  Most weapons list where you need to hit to get a quick kill, and most of the heavier stuff says stuff like 'it dies' because you can shoot someone practically anywhere and they'll die.  Even a heavy gauss cannon will probably take off most of a man's leg if you hit their shin, and that'll kill them in very short order.

Stuff that's legitimately easier to aim usually says so in the description.  The tesla arc flat out says eveything in front of you dies, the LESHO mentions that it has guidance systems, the HEP mentions having a very wide beam, ect.  Most guns are basically the same in aiming required otherwise.  That's the point of conventional weapons.

<neat lists>

Heh, that's neat. Let's see if I can make a few of my own.

<Gungnir & red hand snip>
I've added those to a text file with the whole list.  Working on adding my prototype, and the other types of weapons (melee things, and space magic).

But that's just firing electricity directly at the surface, so the surface protects the internals. If the surface is compromised, for instance by a laser...

Sadly, no, battlesuit plate is practically impervious to lasers.  At least to the point that a cutting laser, being focused on a singular point for several seconds, doesn't even breach the first layer.  Remember that hexacopter drone I was working on at one point, which was armed with a generator fed cutting laser?  It couldn't touch a battlesuit.  At all.

Would've made an amazing anti-infantry drone though...

@Syvarris: You might want to get that in the wiki, maybe make a page for it in your profile if you think it shouldn't have a normal page.

I didn't really think it was useful enough to add it to the wiki (plus I was pretty tired), but I can if people think it's a good idea.  Is there any way to make spoilers on the wiki?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5842 on: June 11, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

There's a description of how to make Spoilers here:
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Guidelines_for_Editing
However, spoilers don't work that well in the visual editor and have some positioning problems (if you use nested spoilers or if you put spoilers one on top of the other without the contents of each spoiler reaching the end of the line then there's a chance the spoilers will appear next to each other. I could probably solve this with a spoiler template that automatically added a transparent line of text in each spoiler but it would take some time and I don't have much right now.)
Check my page for an example on the usage of Spoilers. Maybe check the code too if you want.
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Flint_Westwood#Inventory

The other solution, of course, is to use headers
Code: [Select]
==HEADER== and then place an anchor point near the contents (say you name it
[[#AnchorTop]]). That way, you can have a link bringing you back to top
[[{{FULLPAGENAME}}#AnchorTop|Back to Top]] and thus back to the table of contents, that allows you to easily select what you want to see next. You can easily make that into a template if you want, maybe add a small image for it too.

EDIT: Note to self: Do this for the armoury in the future.
EDIT2: Note to self: See if I can update wiki templates to Lua in the future: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Grunny/Introducing_Lua,_for_faster_and_more_powerful_templates
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:22:30 pm by Parisbre56 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: June 11, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »

Restrain Dubley somehow.

I think you should probably be more specific, unless you want to permakill the guy. >.>

Edit: I know what the team on Mission 13 should do!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:21:13 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: June 11, 2014, 03:23:34 pm »

I don't think they have sufficient ordinance or accuracy to hit Dubley.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: June 11, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »

Those two lines were unrelated, but you raise an interesting point... what if Dubley is the target?!
He could have been lying to us all along, waiting for his chance to reach Kano's arctic circle, open those boxes and enact his plan!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: June 11, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »

Those two lines were unrelated...
So?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:09 pm »

My string of shitty rolls ended!  :D

...next roll I'll probably roll a one and get back on the turret  :'(
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »

And people will get angrier.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: June 11, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

I vote that we should bring at least one APC on every mission from now on, regardless of terrain or objectives.
Preferably at least three. The more the merrier!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 2205